Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Former Ray Guy Award Winning Punters: Where are they now?

Zhouse

I don't really understand the whole "Don't waste a pick on a punter" deal. Is it because a punter is expected to be a starter while a sixth rounder can be a backup for a few years? Other than that, if you think a guy will be a great punter, why not draft him? There aren't many sixth round draft studs out there anyway.

I've never understood why it's so difficult to for NFL teams to find 32 good kickers/punters.

All of the football that's played on all levels in this country, there are thousands of kickers/punters who play/have played. Why can't there be just 32 good kickers and 32 good punters.

That's a good question. I think it's probably because most people can't handle the mental aspects of having a whole team of guys who don't respect you, and will put tons of pressure on you along with the fans.

I've never understood why it's so difficult to for NFL teams to find 32 good kickers/punters.

All of the football that's played on all levels in this country, there are thousands of kickers/punters who play/have played. Why can't there be just 32 good kickers and 32 good punters.

I have a hypothesis on punters, but I'm too lazy to check it out. I wonder if guys who played another position in football at some level in addition to punting do better as pure punters at the next level. Maybe they're not as susceptible to getting psyched out if they've been involved in other aspects of the game.

From all I can tell, Durant Brooks did nothing but punt in high school, junior college, and at Georgia Tech. (Though he was a standout high school basketball player.)

Thoughts?

my question is. Which round would have drafted matt mcbriar. That guy can punt the **** out of the ball and before he got injured his average in that cards game was like 55 ypp.

I know that i wouldn't mind seeing that punter picked in the 4th round.

Field position is an often talked about, but also often underrated part of the game. Durant brooks proved that on sunday. ONe of his punts put the rams directly in field goal position and gave them a 16-10 lead. it killed us on sunday.

Archived