Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shawn Springs.....unreliable?

Piledriven

EDIT (Oct-20-2008):

So am I still SOOOOOO crazy to say this about Springs??? I certainly think I am right on with this argument. You see, as I stated before, I think that Springs is a heck of a CB when he does play, however he always seems to be held back no matter what. He cannt go unless he is 100%!

Larry Michael talked to the staff and said Springs was "almost 100%" yet he cannot go? Whats up with that? Even if you weren't 100%, wouldn't you want to play and help your team win?

This just proves my point even more: He CANNOT PLAY UNLESS 100% and he IS unreliable because of his injuries...not because of his play.

Time to start looking for CBs in my opinion!

(Oct-13-2008): Say what you want.... because I know some of you will just flame for the sake of flaming...HOWEVER:

Maybe its just me, but am I the only person who thinks Springs is unreliable because he is so prone to injury? I mean how many times has he come out of a game for something small? It seems to me like he only plays if he is 100%. If he is only 95%, you can count him out....its sad actually. He is a GREAT cover guy, I like seeing him out there when he does play....however when those times come when we need him...he is on the sideline.

I mean think about it....if the game were on the line, wouldn't YOU want to be IN the game??? I don't get it. He is a heck of a player when he plays, but what good does he do on the sideline in crucial points in the game? It seems to be a lot lately as well...when we need him, he is out because of a scratched arm or a bruised leg. I mean how many games did Fred Smoot play with us a few years ago with a broken sternum? I hate to bring up a Cowboys player, but how many games did Emmitt Smith play against us with a broken rib, or broken collar bone? It is a thing called HEART, and determination to win. Does Springs have it? I do not know. My only hope is that he is not one of these prima donnas that will not play unless 100%. If that is not the case, then is he washed up (based on his consistent injury status)?

:2cents:

Well, I don't agree with the implication that Springs doesn't want to be on the field or that he is "soft" or whatever.

However, I have felt for a couple of years that his injury problems were a big problem, and I have hoped that we would invest in a big-money #1 CB who is younger and healthier (ie Clements in 07, Samuel in 08) and seeing if we could move Springs for a mid round draft pick. I still think that would be a wise move next offseason if Asamugha is available.

I swear this board is like a seesaw....One week we're praising a player and saying how lucky we are to have him, the next week he's a scrub.

We win as a team and lose as a team.

I never even ONCE called the guy a SCRUB... Get your facts straight. I said he is "a GREAT cover guy, I like seeing him out there when he does play," however I felt that he is somewhat unreliable due to his injuries.

WHERE WAS SHAWN SPRINGS?????

He was covering Eddie Kennison in the slot, in case you care about actual facts.

Horton blitzed poorly and got picked up.

Moore was supposed to blitz and froze.

Bulger had a week back there, and Torrence failed to make a play on the ball.

Next question.

I swear this board is like a seesaw....One week we're praising a player and saying how lucky we are to have him, the next week he's a scrub.

Exactly.

Some of these idiots on ES are jumping off a bridge and screaming about how the sky is falling one week, only to be proclaiming us the Super Bowl champs the next week.

Some of you need to get a ****ing grip.

Exactly.

Some of these idiots on ES are jumping off a bridge and screaming about how the sky is falling one week, only to be proclaiming us the Super Bowl champs the next week.

Ain't nothin new, there are people here that have been grip-free for years

He was covering Eddie Kennison in the slot, in case you care about actual facts.

Horton blitzed poorly and got picked up.

Moore was supposed to blitz and froze.

Bulger had a week back there, and Torrence failed to make a play on the ball.

Next question.

If that is the case, then I am wrong. I could have sworn that Larry Michaels said that Smoot and Springs were out of that play. Also, Moore is the one who I would let go. He was supposed to go after Bulger...but froze up like you said...

If Springs was really coverage Kennison, then maybe it was just a coaching mistake not to match him up with Holt and C-Rogers with Avery...

Anyways thanks for clearing up the facts. I am not so upset now knowing he was in the game...however I am upset that Larry Michaels said he was out of that play....he's making me look bad!! :laugh:

The OP's not saying he's a scrub, just pointing out he's injury prone.

While I don't at all share the inference that Spring's is a soft player looking for any excuse to sit out, his continuing health issue's have been putting a real strain on our resources for a good time now. As good a corner as Springs is, without question the best on the team when healthy, maybe's it's time we started looking down another road from next season.

By the same token, how unreliable is Marcus getting through injury? Another real good preformer when he's out there, like Springs, but how long do you carry him on the roster if he's missing massive chunks of a season?

Hail.

Exactly.

When did I ever say anything like "the sky is falling!" I am no "Chicken Little".

For the record I still think we have a great chance at winning the division and going to the playoffs. I am still high on the Redskins....I was just a little concerned about Springs and his injuries. A true fan has the guts to point out when there might be something wrong. Grow up

I 100% agree with the OP....I have been telling people this for a few years now. He seems like a selfish player. He won't play unless he's 100%, and that is garbage in my opinion. Not only that, he never takes pay cuts to help the team.

He is a great player when healthy, we all know that.

At least someone has the guts to step up and admit it... Rather than the rest of these bums who do not even read the thread before posting a reply.

I'm glad I'm not the only one....

When did I ever say anything like "the sky is falling!" I am no "Chicken Little".

For the record I still think we have a great chance at winning the division and going to the playoffs. I am still high on the Redskins....I was just a little concerned about Springs and his injuries. A true fan has the guts to point out when there might be something wrong. Grow up

You're complaining about a player not being in the game that was in the game covering his assignment. At least watch the play again before blindly making an inaccurate post on it.

Fact is, the Redskins lost a game. I don't remember anyone calling out Springs after the Dallas game. How come no one said anything when he wasn't on the field then. But we lose a game and people are ready to call out names.

Individual performances are great and they make the team better....I don't mind giving credit when it's due. But please don't start naming players after a loss just because. Especially when it's obvious the defense played well yesterday.

If Springs was really coverage Kennison, then maybe it was just a coaching mistake not to match him up with Holt and C-Rogers with Avery...

Now it's a coaching mistake??? Dude! Holt was blanketed by Carlos all game. We didn't hear Springs' name at all all game (which is a good thing for a DB) so why would you change that??

Blache called the play...Leigh even had good coverage he didn't get beat on the route he just didn't know where the under-thrown ball was. Hopefully he will work on turning his head but you can't blame Blache for the call.

Archived