Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Obama and Friends: Judge Not?

hokie4redskins

As usual, Krauthammer nails it.

Convicted felon Tony Rezko. Unrepentant terrorist Bill Ayers. And the race-baiting Rev. Jeremiah Wright. It is hard to think of any presidential candidate before Barack Obama sporting associations with three more execrable characters. Yet let the McCain campaign raise the issue, and the mainstream media begin fulminating about dirty campaigning tinged with racism and McCarthyite guilt by association.

But associations are important. They provide a significant insight into character. They are particularly relevant in relation to a potential president as new, unknown, opaque and self-contained as Obama. With the economy overshadowing everything, it may be too late politically to be raising this issue. But that does not make it, as conventional wisdom holds, in any way illegitimate..................................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/09/AR2008100902328.html

It's amazing how coordinated this attack is. The message discipline is amazing and furthers illustrates that there isn't a line between the conservative movement and the republican party. It's one and the same.

The market is crashing and republicans want to talk about Bill Ayers, a trust fund hippie.

way to stay on topic dude. cant always cry that you are being attacked if its the truth. we are all aware of the market but that doesnt take away from this.

Dude, it shows that republican have some @#$% up priorities ( just to add I agree with the thesis that associations matter-- though the Ayers one is weak)

Dude, it shows that republican have some @#$% up priorities ( just to add I agree with the thesis that associations matter-- though the Ayers one is weak)

so because they are adressing the market AND obama its ****ed up? or is it ****ed up because you dont wanna hear it and wanna try to distract what is being put out there by flaming the conservatives?

its obvious that both sides know the market sucks; what is not obvious is why it is necessary for you to try and act like both sides dont see it.

No.

Frankly, it shows that the RNC has the same priority as the DNC: WIN THE ELECTION.

It's amazing how coordinated this attack is. The message discipline is amazing and furthers illustrates that there isn't a line between the conservative movement and the republican party. It's one and the same.

The market is crashing and republicans want to talk about Bill Ayers, a trust fund hippie.

Well it shows both how disciplined they are, and how slow they are to adjust.

I think they had this planned since the Convention to start talking about Ayers and Rev. Wright in October. But they didn't expect the stock market crash, and they did not have a plan B. So now they're stuck with this strategy of talking about these trivial things when there are much more serious issues that America wants to hear about.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

so because they are adressing the market AND obama its ****ed up? or is it ****ed up because you dont wanna hear it and wanna try to distract what is being put out there by flaming the conservatives?

its obvious that both sides know the market sucks; what is not obvious is why it is necessary for you to try and act like both sides dont see it.

One campaign is running a serious campaign, the other one is screaming terrorist. I am sorry if you fail to see the difference in tone and style between the two camps right now.

I desperately want the republican grown ups to come back, because one party rule is dangerous.

One campaign is running a serious campaign, the other one is screaming terrorist. I am sorry if you fail to see the difference in tone and style between the two camps right now.

I desperately want the republican grown ups to come back, because one party rule is dangerous.

serious campaign?

you must be out of your mind if you think obama is any more of a serious politician then McCain. Im sorry if you are caught up in the Obama hype but its just that, hype. The man is not able to figure out who he has around him let alone stick to anything without making sure it is ok with everyone else first.

and what exactly do you mean by "grown up"?

I think they had this planned since the Convention to start talking about Ayers and Rev. Wright in October. But they didn't expect the stock market crash, and they did not have a plan B. So now they're stuck with this strategy of talking about these trivial things when there are much more serious issues that America wants to hear about.

They're making a big mistake by not addressing the stock market/economy more, but at the same time it's hard to talk tough about it when you're going to get painted as a Bush-loyalist and can't do anything about it.

Get used to one party rule for the next 8 years at least (if not for the next 20)

The 1960s will back with a vengeance

Did you even read the article?

Get used to one party rule for the next 8 years at least (if not for the next 20)

The 1960s will back with a vengeance

Yeah, it's going to suck. The one thing going for republicans is that there is a good chance the economy will be even worse 2 years from now. Maybe just maybe, republicans will take advantage of it.

Yeah, it's going to suck. The one thing going for republicans is that there is a good chance the economy will be even worse 2 years from now. Maybe just maybe, republicans will take advantage of it.

maybe you can stick to the topic of the thread and not try to derail it. maybe? perhaps? a chance of that? slight? little chance?

:)

OLS.

Senator Obama might be the most gifted politician of our adult lifetime, even more so then Bill Clinton

I don't think people will have the short term memory in 2010, and will put together that at the end of the Bush term the economy was imploding

As long as there is light at the end of the tunnel in 2010 (which I suspect there will be) President Obama will keep a large majority in Congress

He appears to nail the exact argument for Obama's questionable associations in the article; so I guess he nails it in that sense.

There aren't many politicians without some dirt on their hands, who have risen to the top of their party. That's reality. I suppose if you didn't accept Obama as a ruthless politician before, then you may be surprised by the article. I already did.

McCain has slowly lost points from me over the past few weeks, and now looks pretty disorganized compared to Obama. At this point, barring a major turnaround, I'll be voting for Obama where I fully expected to be undecided and looking forward to a tough decision. The "buy bad mortgage plan" by McCain, which was foolish policy-wise and political-wise, kind of sealed that.

As for Obama's associations, yes, he has made politically expedient associations in his past. I'm not sure sure why that would be so surprising.

stick to the topic here or make another thread. stop trying to twist everything in to a pro obama/anti mccain thread.

Well it's hard to try to debate the article without being "Pro Obama" so I don't see how that's possible.

I just find the associations to be pretty weak - and I would have to be shown evidence that Obama agrees with Ayers radical views or has said things similar to Wright in order to find this a reason to not vote for Obama.

It's been pretty well established that regardless of party affiliation it's pretty common for Chicago politicians to come into contact with Ayers regarding education.

The Wright issue has been discussed to death but I personally didn't find the rants "racist" and wasn't surprised to hear some of the stuff in a black church, and other things he said I just found stupid. I have said many times that I wouldn't want everything my pastor said to be used as a reflection on me and so I'm not willing to use this against Obama.

OLS.

Senator Obama might be the most gifted politician of our adult lifetime, even more so then Bill Clinton

I don't think people will have the short term memory in 2010, and will put together that at the end of the Bush term the economy was imploding

As long as there is light at the end of the tunnel in 2010 (which I suspect there will be) President Obama will keep a large majority in Congress

It would be nice to see some fiscal conservatives get into Congress during Obama's presidency (which seems very likely at this point, I'm not really prone to glib assertions), if there are any left who would run for office.

OLS.

Considering that a large amount of people consider Bill Clinton to have been a good President - at least in comparison to Bush . . . I'll gladly take your scenario, even though I'm aware that not all of the prosperity enjoyed during the 90's was a result of Clinton.

Either way, I fully anticipate the next President to be one term and done.

Archived