Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wine Drinkers-I Need Suggestions

Koolblue13

I am putting together a wine and alcohol list for a restaurant I am working at. We just got a LL and have very little.

The cheaper the bottle the better, because it's hard to mark up and still sell.

PA wine laws are about a joke, but perhaps I can get some good suggestions from the crowd.

Mongo, KB has been in the business for years.

He knows KJ has name recognition if nothing else, it's average at best.

And White Zin sucks. We called it the malt liquor of wine. Might as well have Arbor Mist, or the like.

lol. That's the truth.

I'll try and go for a dry Riesling to make the older folks happy, can always put a little pink in it.;)

For relatively cheap white wine, I like Meridian wines, especially their sauvignon blanc.

NV Korbel also has some good sparkling wine.

I know it's hoky, but I also like the blends of white wines that come in those blue bottles. You're getting MS brain responses when it comes to names, but I buys bottles of both when I get to the liquor store.

Do you have a cheap source for your wine? If not, it may be worth your time to make a run to corridor wine and spirits. I know they supply many of the restaurants near me, and I can't imagine they don't have an establishment near you. Their list of good wines is also one that has rarely sent me down the wrong path.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/corridorwine/expert-pick.html?p2=15&title=Top%20Wines%20Under%20$15

The relative quality of the wines themselves matters little. What matters is what the customers you're targeting in your particular area want. You can have a great, high quality wine list but if you're selling to families on a strict budget, you're not going to do very well.

I'd imagine the distributors in your area have great information and advice on what sells well to your target market. That's just my .02 coming from a person who should have opened a liquor store in an up and coming part of town when he had the chance 4 years ago. :gus: :doh:

I don't subscribe anymore but still buy it.

I think the online price is something like 10 bucks for 3 months (well i was when I had it). The ten bucks opens up all of their reviews and stuff.

It's a great tool to learn and evaluate wine. Especially for a wine list, you might surprise some people with some of the selections (I know I did). I think they even have a forum now.

Good luck bro, putting together a wine list is a pain in the ass.

Penguin something or other is quite good despite being cheap at least their merlot. Barefoot is always cheap and somewhat ok. Same with Yellowtail.

Other than that for name brands you got Beringer, any of the Gallo stuff, BV, KJ (already mentioned). It's kind of like McDonalds for some people they don't mind if it's not top of the line as long as they know what it is.

Mongo, KB has been in the business for years.

He knows KJ has name recognition if nothing else, it's average at best.

And White Zin sucks. We called it the malt liquor of wine. Might as well have Arbor Mist, or the like.

I'm with you on that. White Zin is horrible but the old folks sure love it. You can't go wrong with a nice Italian Pinot Grigio either.

Check out some of the wines from Chile. Especially some of the Cabernet Sauvignon.

As someone else said, Yellow Tail is a good wine and relatively inexpensive.

I also love wines from Ravenswood. They also have a great Cabernet as well as a very good Red Zinfandel.

http://www.hartwickandgrove.com/index.cfm?method=storeproducts.showList&productcategoryid=84a302ce-ab36-398d-34cf-2781fdc8ddc9

On the higher end, Cakebread wineries is excellent.

As far as white goes, just about any brand of Chardonnay is good.

http://www.hartwickandgrove.com/index.cfm?method=storeproducts.showList&productcategoryid=84a43747-bfa8-f4a9-a2ba-b0255506a022

Rosemount makes some great wines. Try their Shiraz, or Cab-Merlot.

Concha yToro is a great Chilean wine. Their Frontera Cab is very good.

Columbia Crest Cab is another highly rated wine.

Jacob's Creek is an other one that puts out good wines.

Lindeman's is another one.

Some of the best wines these days are coming from Chile and Australia.

The Little Penguin and Yellowtail. I always buy one of the two when I want a cheap, but decent tasting bottle of wine. I've only bought red wines, I know Yellowtail has white wines, but I'm not a fan.. so, I dunno about whites.

Archived