Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're still not scoring enough points

TheItalianStallion

I agree we are still leaving too many points on the field with field goals, and we do need to fix that. I am not complianing, that is a fact that could hurt us soon. But you have to like the fact we are trying to score in the Red zone, as opposed to settling for field goals is better.

Who said anything about not being satisfied? I said I was ECSTATIC. I'm just pointing out a potential issue that we have to take a look at.

"We're still not scoring enough points" That doesn't sound like a satisfied person to me...

You're acting as if these were cupcake teams that we couldn't roll over. Now if we struggle to score touchdowns against the next three opponents, we'll have something to worry about.

You also have to take into account the number of scores we lost due to some dumb mistakes, namely the two touchdowns we lost against Dallas due to Rabach's two penalties, and the Devin Thomas touchdown that was lost that could have made these games look like bigger wins than they actually were.

I don't think it's a big issue right now, to be honest. You can see that the team can move the ball against different defenses and can come back from a variety of tough circumstances, in the toughest environments.

We outgained the Eagles by over 130 yards, yet we beat them by less than a TD.

But see, this is why it looks like you are looking for reasons to complain. I'd expect someone with a truly critical eye to recognize that our offense outscored their offense by 13 points, which is consistant with the yardage differential.

"We're still not scoring enough points" That doesn't sound like a satisfied person to me...

You're acting as if these were cupcake teams that we couldn't roll over. Now if we struggle to score touchdowns against the next three opponents, we'll have something to worry about.

You also have to take into account the number of scores we lost due to some dumb mistakes, namely the two touchdowns we lost against Dallas due to Rabach's two penalties, and the Devin Thomas touchdown that was lost that could have made these games look like bigger wins than they actually were.

I don't think it's a big issue right now, to be honest. You can see that the team can move the ball against different defenses and can come back from a variety of tough circumstances, in the toughest environments.

You're missing the point. They were tough teams, yes. But we still moved the ball against them. My concern isn't how we're moving the ball; it's that, despite moving the ball well, we don't have a huge amount of points to show for it.

e·nough /ɪˈnʌf/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-nuhf] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. adequate for the want or need; sufficient for the purpose or to satisfy desire: enough water; noise enough to wake the dead.

–pronoun 2. an adequate quantity or number; sufficiency.

–adverb 3. in a quantity or degree that answers a purpose or satisfies a need or desire; sufficiently.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/enough

well by the definition of the word we are.

But see, this is why it looks like you are looking for reasons to complain. I'd expect someone with a truly critical eye to recognize that our offense outscored their offense by 13 points, which is consistant with the yardage differential.
True, but 23 points isn't a lot for a team that gained 388 yards.

I was one of the ESers who was very fed up with all the negativity after the loss to the NYG, and after our 2 preseason losses. I was defending the skins and JC during that time. I might not've picked the ideal words to describe my feelings in this thread, but I am NOT looking for things to complain about.

Amazing how no matter what --- some people will never be satisfied. Sad.

You know who isn't satisfied? Jim Zorn, Clinton Portis, Jason Campbell and the rest of the team. There's nothing wrong with high standards as long as you recognize what the team has done well, which the OP has.

There are some of you that will go nuts after a loss. I don't see why this thread is all of a sudden crazy to see.

You're missing the point. They were tough teams, yes. But we still moved the ball against them. My concern isn't how we're moving the ball; it's that, despite moving the ball well, we don't have a huge amount of points to show for it.

:doh: :doh::rolleyes::doh:

Valid point, bad timing. Wait until mid-week to start whining about **** that doesn't matter. I can't believe, in the midst of celebrating beating the 2 toughest opponents we have to face every year ON THE ROAD, you come in here & are like, "Wait! Let's calm down. We're not scoring enough." That's like taking the hottest girl to the dance (& she promises you sex afterward) & your complaining that her dress is too long. :doh:

:doh: :doh::rolleyes::doh:

Valid point, bad timing. Wait until mid-week to start whining about **** that doesn't matter. I can't believe, in the midst of celebrating beating the 2 toughest opponents we have to face every year ON THE ROAD, you come in here & are like, "Wait! Let's calm down. We're not scoring enough." That's like taking the hottest girl to the dance (& she promises you sex afterward) & your complaining that her dress is too long. :doh:

(highlighting mine)

Anything beyond that highlighted statement is irrelevent. This is a discussion board, not a celebration board.

I'm ECSTATIC that we're 4-1, but we've once again put up a fairly mediocre number of points despite lots of yards. We had over 450 yards of offense against NO, yet we had less than 30 points to show for it. The Arizona game wasn't a huge offensive game for us, so 24 points is acceptable there. But each of the past 2 weeks we've had nearly 400 yards of offense, yet we've gotten 26 and 23 points in each of them. We outgained the Eagles by over 130 yards, yet we beat them by less than a TD.

With the weak schedule that we have over the next few weeks, we have an opportunity to fix that. I'll be happy with wins, but I would really like to see us put up a boatload of points over the next few weeks.

Agreed, but you also must recognize that we are getting big chunks of yards the last drive of the game where we are running out the clock. This team has been incredible at TOP this year. We've managed to run out 7+ minutes to seal the game multiple times now. That's just incredible.

True, but 23 points isn't a lot for a team that gained 388 yards.

So ... when we get the ball on our own three yard line and go 67 yards, eat up 8:19 off the clock and score a FG ... is that not a good drive?

What about the following drive, going 50 yards in less than a minute for a FG with 7 seconds left in the half ... that should have been a TD?

That's a 117 yards of offense and only 6 points. Should I look at the stat line and be disappointed? Or is there more going on than just stats?

At this stage in the season, a non-offensive TD (INT, punt return ... whatever) really skews a team's scoring average. Each one right now is adds over a point per game to that average. Of the 11 teams that haven't scored one of these types of TDs, we are second in points scored, to Arizona, who scored about 30 garbage-time TDs last week.

Given the teams we've played so far, I'm not too worried about our offense's output.

Once again, I wouldnt worry about it. First, we put up a lot of points CONSIDERING who we were playing and where. Not every NFL game is equal. Second, this is Zorn's offenses 5th game. The team has really moved the ball well, and now as it matures, it just needs to finish a little better. One more TD instead of FG every game puts this team in elite offense territory. Just be a little patient.

(highlighting mine)

Anything beyond that highlighted statement is irrelevent. This is a discussion board, not a celebration board.

:rolleyes:

Ok...whatever. I'm apparently the only one who sees it that way, right?

BTW, you obviously haven't been here very long, so I'll help you out a little. We tend to "celebrate" here after a win. I know it's not a "celebration" board, but us REDSKINS fans like to "celebrate" when we do well. And by doing well, I mean, winning, not just scoring outrageous amounts of points. Complaining after a win will always attract negative responses...just so ya know. It is, however, more acceptable on the Eagles boards. Maybe you should try posting this thread over there. :2cents:

:eaglesuck

So ... when we get the ball on our own three yard line and go 67 yards, eat up 8:19 off the clock and score a FG ... is that not a good drive?

What about the following drive, going 50 yards in less than a minute for a FG with 7 seconds left in the half ... that should have been a TD?

That's a 117 yards of offense and only 6 points. Should I look at the stat line and be disappointed? Or is there more going on than just stats?

At this stage in the season, a non-offensive TD (INT, punt return ... whatever) really skews a team's scoring average. Each one right now is adds over a point per game to that average. Of the 11 teams that haven't scored one of these types of TDs, we are second in points scored, to Arizona, who scored about 30 garbage-time TDs last week.

Given the teams we've played so far, I'm not too worried about our offense's output.

As I said before, it's not the offense's ability to move the ball that I'm concerned about. It's the fact that, despite moving the ball as well as they have, they don't have a whole lot of points to show for it. I was very happy that they were able to move the ball as well as they have against these tough opponents. But despite doing so, they didn't put up a whole lot of points. I do feel that we'll get better at finishing drives as the year goes on, but until we do, it'll remain a concern of mine.

Archived