Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Would Have Guessed? - Draft Picks

PlayAction

Funny how alot of people 1 year or 3 weeks ago were saying we shouldn't have wasted 2 picks on Jason Campbell, now that he's won 3 in a row and has a 102 QB rating, everyone is saying what a great pick it was. As for Thomas, Kelly and Davis, it's only been 4 weeks and Thomas has been the only steady one to get playing time. Kelly had injury issues in college and the FO and the fans knew we were taking a risk. Let him play a few games before labelling him a bust. And do you guys really want Davis to get more playing time? That means Cooley is out. No thanks. Sit your big sleepy butt on the bench this year and learn. Next year he will pay dividends. Thomas is improving every week. You can see it out there. He just has to gain the trust of Jason. Jason will continue to rely on Moss, ARE and Thrash because of their veteran knowledge.

I too wanted Jordy, then I realized he's ARE only a lighter shade. :) Jordy's a slot receiver, just like ARE should and will be once Thomas/Kelly get it going. I already stated, weeks ago, that I think Jackson would've made more sense then Davis, since returners like him are game changing.

I think both Thomas and Kelly will be major players for us for years to come, though I'm still unsure about Davis since Cooley is our hero at TE.

Only time will tell, but think of it this way...we're 3-1 and we just beat our hated rivals the Cowboys, and we did it with a 7th round STUD named Chris Horton!!!!!

In addition to the inexperience, the vets playing and playing well, etc... you have to look at the offense as a whole. Right now they are clicking with what they are doing. I haven't seen, or seen the need for, a lot of 4 wide or double tight passing sets.

Not to say that we don't need them or that we don't have them, we just don't need to use them now with the O playing at such a high level. There is no need to come out and show the entire league that we have this potential and let them figure out how to defend it.... Use it when needed, when it makes sense.

I do think that the injuries and rawness of the picks definately has something to do with the lack of playing time and productivity, but I would also like to think that Zorn is not going to show his whole hand at once if there is no good reason to.

Just a thought.......... :eaglesuck

I desperately wanted to drafted Cailis Campbell with one of our 2nd round picks. instead he went off right after we take a Backup TE...

CC is really playing well in Arizona from everything I read and here.

For not drafting CC, we had to spend a 2nd round pick for a 34 yr old DE whos provided next to nothing so far. we'll see how that one turns out.

I desperately wanted to drafted Cailis Campbell with one of our 2nd round picks. instead he went off right after we take a Backup TE...

For not drafting CC, we had to spend a 2nd round pick for a 34 yr old DE whos provided next to nothing so far. we'll see how that one turns out.

I haven't watched many of their games. But he has started 0 games, and has 0 sacks. So, I'm not really sure how well he could possibly be playing.

I haven't watched many of their games. But he has started 0 games, and has 0 sacks. So, I'm not really sure how well he could possibly be playing.

He was a complete cypher against us and they just gave up 6 TD passes this past week and he didn't have a tackle.

It's funny how people in one breath say, "Rookie receivers don't normally contribute much in year one." They act as if they're okay with picking a rookie wide out in the draft and seem to understand that they won't necessarily grasp the NFL concepts right away. Come September, these people start singing a different tune based upon what they've seen some other rookie(s) do at the same position for other teams. Then, they turn around and feel stupid b/c usually all but one of those receivers ends up having a mediocre year come the end of December b/c they weren't quite ready to be out there yet. Week 5 isn't even over yet, and people want to start comparing other rookies around the league.

Fine. Let's do that. Horton is a HOFer :paranoid: :rolleyes: I think this draft class will prove to be killer for us in the coming years, and it really does no good to go overboard about Horton or trash the rookie skill players b/c of their lack of production. :2cents:

I hate when people say we should of drafted Jackson...

1) He has had more of a chance to get balls thrown to him with Curtis being hurt and he is essentially starting for them.

2) We did not need another santana moss. We have him and ARE, even Vinny said that yesterday. We were looking for bigger receiver and got them. When DT gets a better grasp of the offense, which i think he is doing, and MK gets healthy they will get more PT. DT is already getting more, but he has to get that trust from Campbell which again i think is coming along. MK is the more polished WR, and just needs to get healthy.

So are defensive linemen.

Jason

Correct. In fact I would argue that DLinemen are a BIGGER crapshoot in the first round than even WRs are. I'm all for drafting some DLineman next year but I prefer to look for more value later in the draft. It seems like Saftey and Oline are the safest picks early on, however busts occur at all positions.

the fact of the matter is we didn't need 2 wr and a TE. I like the Devin Thomas pick, but we could have used our other 2 2nd roud picks on a DE and DT.

That's like saying, "We didn't need Laron Landry b/c we had Sean Taylor." You don't know what you're going to need at some point in a season. If Cooley went down, we'd need Davis. If El or Moss went down, we'd need Thomas and Malcolm. We'll get Ends in the next draft. We didn't need them this year IMO. You can't go back and say, "Well, Daniels is going to be on the IR, so we need to pick up a 2nd round End." Plus, that's not how successful organizations operate.

You don't draft for need, you draft the most talented players available. If you happen to fill a need by picking the best available, that's great. Otherwise, the Redskins would've ended up doing what they've done from '92 to '05. They would have had positions filled with lackluster talent resulting in a ****ty team. We've picked good ones too, but not until recently have we proven that we understand how to utilize the draft properly. :2cents:

we didn't need Desean Jackson. had we taken him our starting three would all be around 5"10. talk about smurfs. people would have lost their mind.

everyone is so high on devin thomas because he has shown flashes of the potential he has. He is so raw in route running and real game experience so its going to take some time for him to get used to the game and for our coaches to bring out his true potential-think a few seasons for it to really come about.

As for davis, still love the pick. What happens if Cooley goes down? you want yodes to be the go to? Having an elite TE is an advantage that the skins have over lots of teams, and one that is essential weapon to compete in the NFC east (witten, used to be shockey, cooley). Now we have cooley who is great, but why not have another kid who could be jsut as good?

Sorry, I'm not buying the notion that the way to the playoffs is with wide receivers who are over 6' tall. Desean is pure speed and could have been used in punt return situations coupled with him coming out of the slot would have been just nasty.

As far as Davis goes, Yoder has filled in in the past. And if you ask me whether I would have wanted an interior lineman to provide depth or depth at TE, I'm going with the former every time.

What mind blowing potential has Thomas displayed so far? I'm not saying the guy's gonna be a bust but I need to see a little bit more than a touchdown from a guy that's wide open and a reverse end around before I'm sold.

A whopping 7 tackles and no sacks.

What a bust.

Davis 1 Rec 6 yards

I totally missed that. Matter of fact I haven't even seen Fred Davis on the field yet. What game was that?

I am going to wait until at least after the season, but I was and still am disappointed with the Davis and Kelly picks. I would've prefered Calis Campbell, Terrence Wheatley, Chevis Jackson....a DE or CB would be great right now. But hey, hopefully all our top 3 picks will be future stars...and I like Devin Thomas.

I also like Chris Horton. :cool:

Hate to break this to everyone that is knocking our rookie WRs...if we had drafted Royal, Jackson, or Nelson...they would have similar stats to our rookies because our VETs are playing so well.

The reason they have better stats is they need to play to help their team. Once Kelly gets healthy...I think he will contribute. Thomas will need at least a year under his belt because he was so raw.

That's like saying, "We didn't need Laron Landry b/c we had Sean Taylor." You don't know what you're going to need at some point in a season. If Cooley went down, we'd need Davis. If El or Moss went down, we'd need Thomas and Malcolm. We'll get Ends in the next draft. We didn't need them this year IMO. You can't go back and say, "Well, Daniels is going to be on the IR, so we need to pick up a 2nd round End." Plus, that's not how successful organizations operate.

You don't draft for need, you draft the most talented players available. If you happen to fill a need by picking the best available, that's great. Otherwise, the Redskins would've ended up doing what they've done from '92 to '05. They would have had positions filled with lackluster talent resulting in a ****ty team. We've picked good ones too, but not until recently have we proven that we understand how to utilize the draft properly. :2cents:

Thats just a great post!!!

We should have gotten Deshaun Jackson for real. That would have been a good trio with Moss and ARE. Very pleased with Brooks punting and Chris Horton has been a real good suprise. Hopefully our young wr's will step it up as they get more opportunities and the season goes along.

];5629312']A whopping 7 tackles and no sacks.

What a bust.

Your kidding right?

Hes not starting yet, playing in situations. Hes also versatile enough to play both DE and DT, which he is doing. Not every pick comes out the chute and starts sacking QB's left and right.

By your logic... all of our draft picks outside of Horton and Brooks are busts.

With very few exceptions, you typically don't find out all a rookie can do within that first season (unless of course he's a top ten pick and accorded solid playing time). I think of all our picks Fred Davis may be the best in the long run, but that's just the point: you find out who panned out within 2-4 years and not over the first 4 games. Time will tell w/all of these guys but hey, look how solid Horton has looked so far and he went in the later rounds.

We should have gotten Deshaun Jackson for real. That would have been a good trio with Moss and ARE. Very pleased with Brooks punting and Chris Horton has been a real good suprise. Hopefully our young wr's will step it up as they get more opportunities and the season goes along.

Funny that many clamoring that we should have taken D. Jackson don't know that it's spelled Desean and not Deshaun.

Very happy with all of our draft picks. D. Thomas made a nice 3rd down catch today, and continues to get more involved with the offense. And while F. Davis and M. Kelly did not make a catch, it was nice to see them active and on the field.

Your kidding right?

Hes not starting yet, playing in situations. Hes also versatile enough to play both DE and DT, which he is doing. Not every pick comes out the chute and starts sacking QB's left and right.

By your logic... all of our draft picks outside of Horton and Brooks are busts.

I don't disagree with this. However you need to take the player's potential into account as well. All three of the guys we drafted in the 2nd round have the potential to be solid starters at the very least. If Calais Campbell exceeds his potential, he'll end up as a poor man's P. Daniels and spot starter. You don't draft guys like that early in the 2nd, you draft them where we drafted the kid out of K. State. He and Campbell are the same guy-mark my words.

Archived