Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Would Have Guessed? - Draft Picks

PlayAction

Hey, it's still early in the season and we all know that the draft is somewhat of a crap shoot. But, who would have guessed that the draft picks that have contributed the most to the team were picked in the 5th-7th rounds with the 7th round pick having had the biggest impact?

The Skins first 5 picks really have made almost no contribution YET. The top three picks have the following stats:

Thomas 2 Rec 12 yards

Kelly 1 Rec 6 yards

Davis 1 Rec 6 yards.

I had hoped the Skins would pick Jordy Nelson. Green Bay got him and he's had 9 Rec 102 yards and 1 TD. Not a superstar but contributing. I had also hoped the Skins would draft a DT. I hoped for Trevor Laws but Philly picked him up. He hasn't done anything for Philly. On the other hand, I was surprised that Philly picked up DeShaun Jackson WR - he's had 22 Rec for 327 yards and 1 TD. Yikes. So go figure.

Fans had many suggestions during the draft. If you look at 2nd or 3rd round players how have your suggestions for the Skins panned out so far for the other teams that picked them? How have the other WRs done?

While the Skins top picks haven't yet contributed I know Rinehart can't get into the lineup because of the premium put on veteran play. The two WRs, TE and CB are still a question mark. But, its nice that the Skins got 2 Safeties that look like they'll be on the team for a while, a punter, and a DE that's actually getting playing time.

Hey, it's still early in the season and we all know that the draft is somewhat of a crap shoot. But, who would have guessed that the draft picks that have contributed the most to the team were picked in the 5th-7th rounds with the 7th round pick having had the biggest impact?

The Skins first 5 picks really have made almost no contribution YET. The top three picks have the following stats:

Thomas 2 Rec 12 yards

Kelly 1 Rec 6 yards

Davis 1 Rec 6 yards.

I had hoped the Skins would pick Jordy Nelson. Green Bay got him and he's had 9 Rec 102 yards and 1 TD. Not a superstar but contributing. I had also hoped the Skins would draft a DT. I hoped for Trevor Laws but Philly picked him up. He hasn't done anything for Philly. On the other hand, I was surprised that Philly picked up DeShaun Jackson WR - he's had 22 Rec for 327 yards and 1 TD. Yikes. So go figure.

Fans had many suggestions during the draft. If you look at 2nd or 3rd round players how have your suggestions for the Skins panned out so far for the other teams that picked them? How have the other WRs done?

While the Skins top picks haven't yet contributed I know Rinehart can't get into the lineup because of the premium put on veteran play. The two WRs, TE and CB are still a question mark. But, its nice that the Skins got 2 Safeties that look like they'll be on the team for a while, a punter, and a DE that's actually getting playing time.

Injury to Kelly aside, I think you can say the same thing about our first three picks. Our veteran starters at WR and TE have been playing extremely well. I think if Randel El, Moss, Thrash, Cooley, and Yoder weren't playing well, you'd see a little more of at least Thomas and Davis at this point.

I do think that Kelly and Thomas came in a bit ill-prepared, but it's too early to pass final judgement on them at this point due to the veterans playing in front of them. The other WRs such as Desean Jackson have had oppurtunities our guys haven't. Not anyone's fault, they will have their chance in time.

I wanted Jordy although He went before us when we dropped back spots. I wanted Deshaun Jackson..We passed on him...I wanted Anquan...we passed and drafted Jacobs...and a long time ago I wanted Santana Moss...and I was quite pleased when we finally got him years after we could have drafted him. When Thomas was drafted I wasn't that upset..I think hes gonna be a good WR...Little upset with Davis cause we already had Cooley...and Kelly to me was just a waste of a pick...not a fan of his...However, if he starts doing great in the future blowing it up for 10 catches 100 yards I will quickly become a fan.

I wanted Jordy although He went before us when we dropped back spots. I wanted Deshaun Jackson..We passed on him...I wanted Anquan...we passed and drafted Jacobs...and a long time ago I wanted Santana Moss...and I was quite pleased when we finally got him years after we could have drafted him. When Thomas was drafted I wasn't that upset..I think hes gonna be a good WR...Little upset with Davis cause we already had Cooley...and Kelly to me was just a waste of a pick...not a fan of his...However, if he starts doing great in the future blowing it up for 10 catches 100 yards I will quickly become a fan.

Here is my problem with your comments...based on your predictions, you should be the best GM in football...well atleast top 5...;)

It is easy to say after the fact who you wanted us to draft and who you wanted us to pass on...so lets go the other way, was there any palyers who you wanted that were complete busts...or leaning in that direction?

Well, the reason why they haven't contributed much yet is because the guys ahead of them are getting the job done right now. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from Thomas and Davis this year. Thomas is a bit raw and Davis is sitting behind Cooley. I was expecting more from Kelly, but we probably would have seen more of him if he wasn't hurt.

I mean, the only reason why we saw Horton on the field is because Safety is probably the thinnest position on this team. When a starter goes down, you have to put in a rookie.

Jason

Pretty much the whole draft system is a crap shoot, a team can disect a player all they wan't, they compare 40 times, look at their college stats, put them through workouts, but there is no way to predict if a player will be a successful Pro player. Thats why Tom Brady is a HOF QB, and Ryan Leaf is, well whats he doing working at foot locker or something? Thats why Chris Horton is leading the NFC in INT's, and Kenny Phillips, who if i remember corectly was coveted by alot of people on this board, hasn't done anything so far.

You can never tell how someone is going to react to the pressures of playing in the NFL, or make adjustments from the college game to the pro game.

Thomas 2 Rec 12 yards

Kelly 1 Rec 6 yards

Davis 1 Rec 6 yards.

Well, if you hadn't noticed, all of our starters are kicking butt.

We haven't had big contributions from our top 3 picks because the vets in front of them have been performing suprisingly well after a not so hot showing last season by our WRs. If Kelly was healthy I'm pretty sure he'd have a TD or 2 in the redzone. Thomas is getting open but I think Moss is just in a zone and JC trusts him more then a rookie.

So are defensive linemen.

Jason

Yeah they are BUT what's the better move for this team? A backup TE and another WR? OR Go DE/DT/LB and take the chance. If one guy pans out your set. I cant say that the draft was good because the players taken late in the draft were no brainers. We needed depth at safety and they were available. Actually I really liked Josh Barret over Moore. He's bigger, stronger and ran 4.3 at the combine. He was picked up after Moore but before Horton who I also had in my mock. Right now All of the top picks are doing nothing. Everyone said for the WCO to be effective you HAVE to have a big receiver. We dont have one and yet were effective. I believe that Thomas is unique and will be a great WR one day.

Thomas 2 Rec 12 yards

Kelly 1 Rec 6 yards

Davis 1 Rec 6 yards.

You can make the argument that Thomas would have better numbers than Nelson if penalties (some by him, one by Heyer) had not nullified a couple of catches with one of those nullification's coming on the big TD grab.

Kelly has been injured and those sorts of things are just plain unpredictable (although in this case I do blame the player a good bit for coming in out of shape).

I put Davis in the same camp as you have Rinehart in that the guys ahead of him are playing well so there is little reason for him to see the field. My guess is that we will start to see more of him in 2 TE sets in the weeks to come as Zorn seeks to find ways to keep defenses guessing. Right now there are really only 4 games of tape on Zorn and this offense for defenses to use for their book so he will need all his shiny new toys to keep things fresh soon.

I've noticed Calais Campbell isn't doing anything for AZ, so who knows about these things? Me: I'm still happy we didn't pick him.

I think Kelly will be a star -- he's smart, big, and creates match-up problems. Just have to get him healthy.

The only pick at the time I didn't like was Davis, for obvious reasons. I was cool with getting two WRs but having seen Desean Jackson torch the Vols last year, I thought he would have been a better pickup. Malcom Kelly seems to have talent but can't get on the field because of injuries and that was his calling card in college. I don't understand why everybody is so high on Devin Thomas right now. He might be good but he's shown little so far.

Here is my problem with your comments...based on your predictions, you should be the best GM in football...well atleast top 5...;)

It is easy to say after the fact who you wanted us to draft and who you wanted us to pass on...so lets go the other way, was there any palyers who you wanted that were complete busts...or leaning in that direction?

Yes of course, but the thing is comming out of college it seems like only a dumb dumb would have been blind enough to not see that Jacobs wasn't as good as Boldin....Anyone who watched college football knew Boldin was a beast a florida state...and Santana was a beast at miami....and the Skins took Rod Gardner the pick before Santana went...and Yes I like Jordy this year, but for example on somebody who I didn't like was JC...didn't like trading up and giving away picks for him...however, I'm liking that decision to draft him now...GO SKINS.

The only pick at the time I didn't like was Davis, for obvious reasons. I was cool with getting two WRs but having seen Desean Jackson torch the Vols last year, I thought he would have been a better pickup. Malcom Kelly seems to have talent but can't get on the field because of injuries and that was his calling card in college. I don't understand why everybody is so high on Devin Thomas right now. He might be good but he's shown little so far.

we didn't need Desean Jackson. had we taken him our starting three would all be around 5"10. talk about smurfs. people would have lost their mind.

everyone is so high on devin thomas because he has shown flashes of the potential he has. He is so raw in route running and real game experience so its going to take some time for him to get used to the game and for our coaches to bring out his true potential-think a few seasons for it to really come about.

As for davis, still love the pick. What happens if Cooley goes down? you want yodes to be the go to? Having an elite TE is an advantage that the skins have over lots of teams, and one that is essential weapon to compete in the NFC east (witten, used to be shockey, cooley). Now we have cooley who is great, but why not have another kid who could be jsut as good?

Yeah they are BUT what's the better move for this team? A backup TE and another WR? OR Go DE/DT/LB and take the chance. If one guy pans out your set. I cant say that the draft was good because the players taken late in the draft were no brainers. We needed depth at safety and they were available. Actually I really liked Josh Barret over Moore. He's bigger, stronger and ran 4.3 at the combine. He was picked up after Moore but before Horton who I also had in my mock. Right now All of the top picks are doing nothing. Everyone said for the WCO to be effective you HAVE to have a big receiver. We dont have one and yet were effective. I believe that Thomas is unique and will be a great WR one day.

The best move usually is to pick the best players, no matter what the position. That isn't always the best for near-term needs, but usually it works out over the long term because eventually a position will become a need again.

Looking at the second round, Laws was the only DT taken and Lofton was the only LB taken. It tells me that there wasn't much in the draft at those positions. You shouldn't just reach for a guy just because you have a need, because the player might not fill the need.

Jason

Yeah they are BUT what's the better move for this team?

The better move is to scout your players and pick the one that you think will be the best player. And to sit here and just how we did on the draft at this point is foolhardy. We'll know a year or two down the road how we did and whether Davis or any of these guys were "dumb" picks.

During the draft everyone had high hopes for a superstar that would really light a fire under the Skins Offense. Turns out that the only siginifcant change in the Skins Offense has been the coach!!!

While I'm happy with how Moss is performing I've seen enough games where the Defense commits to take him out of the game. We will need at least 2 other WRs that can contribute in a big way. Randel El is doing nicely so far. It's the 3rd guy that we are currently missing.

I'm more interested though in how the ones that got away are currently doing. A few people wanted James Hardy or Limas Sweed. They are doing no better than the Skins picks, i.e., Sweed 0 receptions, Hardy 2 or 12 yards. I guess the Skins are doing about the same as most teams with their early WR picks.

The only OL that was picked early in the second round (Skins had the option) was Chilo Rachal G. But he hasn't played yet for SF.

The draft isn't really the ONLY duties of a GM... The Redskins are 3-1... Cerrato (and Joe Gibbs) has given a 1st year head coach the tools he needs to succeed. What else really matters? We'll know in a few years if any of these picks are a bust... Remember Mario Williams and how Casserly got run out of Houston because he didn't take Bush/Young?

As long as we are winning, I'm fine with those guys taking as long as they need to develop. Also, I was at the Arizona game and you could see a strong effort to get Thomas more involved and the biggest effect it had was giving the Cards someone else to worry about which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Archived