Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on Moving to Raleigh/RDU Area

Doggmatic

Well... due to the economy and family, I'm strongly considering packing up and moving to RDU in North Carolina. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the area, other than driving through it on the way to college (I went to ECU). I think I may have stopped off at NC State one time.

So, where are the best places to work and live? I've got 12 years experience in marketing and communications (mostly web/internet). I hear there is a lot of technology work up there as well.

I hate to leave the beach, but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Lots of tech work, great cost of living, bored to tears.

What- Charlotte is the cultural and social capital of the US? :silly:

My experience with the R/D area is based mostly on the opinions of good friends I have that live there. They all love it.

And unlike Charlotte, you can go out on Friday night with your family without fear of getting gunned down. :) (don't get me wrong I like Charlotte- but the crime there is out of control)

What- Charlotte is the cultural and social capital of the US? :silly:

My experience with the R/D area is based mostly on the opinions of good friends I have that live there. They all love it.

And unlike Charlotte, you can go out on Friday night with your family without fear of getting gunned down. :) (don't get me wrong I like Charlotte- but the crime there is out of control)

Gunned down ? This isn't SE DC. :silly:

Apparently you havent spent much time in Charlotte. Go look at the crime rates. Rising and still lower than most of the country. Especially violent crime.

I grew up in D.C. and now live in Durham. I think the area is absolutely fantastic. There is a vast amount of music and other arts, great sports, tremendous food and drink culture, and excellent outdoorsy stuff to boot. Lotsa universities = stuff to do.

If someone is bored in that community given all the sports and cultural amenities offered by three major universities, that's their own fault.

I haven't lived there, but from visiting and from friends who have, it offers a nice combination of uncrowded small town living with lots to do provided by the university communities.

Anyway, good luck with your decision...

I lived in the Research Triangle Park (RTP) area just outside Durham for awhile a few years back. Cheap as dirt to live there, we had a two story, two bed, two bath, brand new townhouse that cost us $735 a month in rent so yeah, that's ridiculous. That's over 2 grand rent in the DC area easy. But as others have said, that area is boring as all hell. I hated it there but there are a lot of tech jobs out there. Good luck.

I grew up inside the DC beltway and now live in Raleigh, NC. I don't know what kinda housing you'd be looking for, but downtown Raleigh has a lot of great, new Condo's. If you are looking for a house with a decent yard, I'd look just outside the beltway. I love living in Raleigh because it's so much smaller then DC. I can get places in a short amount of time. Also, there is plenty to do. You are 90 minutes or so from the beach, a couple, maybe three hours from the mountains and less then 2 hours from pinehurst. The only thing that kinda sucks is that we get snow maybe once every five years.

Hersh,

Yea, big gathering there every Sunday. The close off a private room for us and let us play "Hail to the Redskins" after every score. There is a yahoo group called triangle redskins fan club.

I used to live up by Leadmine and Strickland but now am down by Glenwood South and love it.

I live in Chapel Hill, but its actually Durham county. Go figure that one. Anyway, I think most of where you want to live is going to be based on your housing considerations and where you might be working. If you work in the research Triangle Park (RTP) area, the commute from Raleigh, Chapel Hill, or Durham won't be bad at all since its on Interstate 40 in-between them all. Durham will be the cheaper housing, probably followed by Chapel Hill and then Raleigh. Although you can go further out a little and get much better pricing.

I moved down here from NOVA 12 years ago and think its the best thing that ever happened to me. I live right off of 40, so its easy for me to get anywhere. Plenty of small and large tech firms around.

Archived