Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adviser says McCain helped create the BlackBerry

China

Yep. I see no difference in what McCain's adviser said versus what Gore said himself. Once again, McCain did not make this claim. Gore directly made his claim about the internet.

a) Gore didn't say it. That's been pointed out several times.

B) If your advisors are talking to the press on your behalf, it's your obligation to make sure they aren't idiots. If your press secretary says something to the White House Press Corps, she's speaking for the White House and the President.

Why are we so willing to let executives off the hook for what their "advisors" or "spokesmen" say. Part of being a leader is knowing who and who not to let speak for you.

B) If your advisors are talking to the press on your behalf, it's your obligation to make sure they aren't idiots. If your press secretary says something to the White House Press Corps, she's speaking for the White House and the President.

Why are we so willing to let executives off the hook for what their "advisors" or "spokesmen" say. Part of being a leader is knowing who and who not to let speak for you.

Cue a comment about Rev. Wright in 5...4...3...2...1...

I posted EXACTLY what he said. I, as well as others, have an interpretation of it that you may not agree with it.

You mean kind of like Obama's spiritual adviser for the past 20 years, the Reverend Wright?

Ah, just as I suspected . . . Truman seems to be another Sarge/GoSkins/Kilmer . . . the board keeps getting more interesting . . .
I posted EXACTLY what he said. I, as well as others, have an interpretation of it that you may not agree with it.
Okay, that was a little scary ...
Que a comment about Rev. Wright in 5...4...3...2...1...
You mean kind of like Obama's spiritual adviser for the past 20 years, the Reverend Wright?
What will the lottery numbers be today JMU?

But your interpretation is wrong.

The guys who co-designed TCP/IP acknowledge Gore's contribution and think his claim is legitimate.

By the way President G W Bush gave Cerf & Kahn the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005, recognising them as follows:

"Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn designed the software code that is used to transmit data over the Internet. Dr. Cerf and Dr. Kahn have been at the forefront of a digital revolution that has transformed global commerce, communication, and entertainment."

Dr Vint Cerf gave a Webby award to Gore for his contributions:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7746308/

Guess the thread wasn't ugly, sleazy, and dishonest enough for you, huh?

Just following the lead of my mentors Kilmer and Sarge. :) Besides, if it was good enough to prove Kerry and Cleeland unfit for office, Republicans shouldn't have a problem when those kinds of tactics are used against us too right?

What's worse? An overzealous adviser claiming McCain did this or that idiot Gore claiming he invented the internet from his own mouth.

Al Gore never claimed to have actually created the internet. It was under the same context that Al Gore helped to pass legislation that led to the expansion of the modern Internet.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

But your interpretation is wrong.

The guys who co-designed TCP/IP acknowledge Gore's contribution and think his claim is legitimate.

By the way President G W Bush gave Cerf & Kahn the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005, recognising them as follows:

"Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn designed the software code that is used to transmit data over the Internet. Dr. Cerf and Dr. Kahn have been at the forefront of a digital revolution that has transformed global commerce, communication, and entertainment."

Dr Vint Cerf gave a Webby award to Gore for his contributions:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7746308/

Gore did not create the internet, as he stated. Making a minor contribution while sitting on your butt in Congress is not "creating the internet" as he falsely claimed.

Gore did not create the internet, as he stated. Making a minor contribution while sitting on your butt in Congress is not "creating the internet" as he falsely claimed.

I agree it was a clumsy remark; as clumsy as a McCain advisor saying that McCain helped to create the Blackberry.

As the Snopes article mentions, "If President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while president, "created" the Interstate Highway System, we would not have seen dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he "invented" the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help

build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Ike meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with his Internet statement."

I guess the fact that he never made the claim, and that you've been provided proof of that, really isn't that important to you, is it?

"I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Gore's words, not mine. He embellished what little role he had, if any, and was burned by it. He'll never live it down.

You are right. He will never live it down, because the lie that you yourself perpetuate is too strongly held - by people like you.

You can talk semantics all you want about "creating" versus "inventing", but the bottom line is that Al Gore lied about his "impact" in the development of the internet. The backbone and many of the components of th internet were in place way before Gore was in Congress. Which proves that not only is he a hypocrite, but a liar too.

You are completely missing the point.

No-one is arguing that private intranets did not already exist for high speed communication to link universities and defense research labs. I used a number of them myself.

The point is that Gore played a key role in creating the Internet. That required policy (hence Gore's important role) as much as actual technology (which as you state was already in place). If Gore claimed to have invented computer networking you would be correct. But he didn't and so you are wrong.

Archived