Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JC needs to be more Favre like!

skinsfan93

I'm not a big fan of Favre but you have to admit he is and always will be a gambler / gunslinger. He throws unconventional at times, tries to thread the needle, but the one thing you can say is that he allows his receivers to make plays. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

The 2nd td Favre threw yesterday is a perfect example of Favre. While many would say that the pass was just thrown up for grabs and Favre should have never thrown it. Think about it for a second. It was 4th and 13 (their kicker was hurt) and he was almost sacked twice. Instead of taking a loss with no chance of a 1st down or score, he heaved it up and what do you know a receiver caught it for a score.

Now if we look at Campbell and what he might do in that situation, I think it would be safe to say that he would take the conservative approach like looking for a dump off or waiting for a receiver to get visibly opened for him to even think about throwing it.

What I'm trying to say, that I'm sure many on here have said, is that Campbell plays not to lose. I would like to see him stop thinking less and start reacting more. The problem is does Campbell have the football i.q. to allow that to happen. The only way to find out is for him to start doing it. He may go out and throw 3-4 picks but he may go out and have some real games where he is throwing for 300 yards and 4 scores. It may not guarantee us a 10 win season this year but it may help us find out if he is the qb to take us there.

Btw...sorry for yet another JC thread but what else are we going to talk about? :rolleyes:

JC doing this reminds me of what Patrick Ramsey was. I thought Ramsey had a lot of potential but he was very erratic when he just threw the ball in the air. For the longest time we've had problems with the O-Line and getting time for the QB. The passing game hasn't been very good since 1999. We need to fix this somehow.

if he played like favre people would be calling for his head becasue of the INTS he could throw. Jason Campbell needs to become Jason Campbell and not try and play like anyone else. He just needs to get comfortable playing like he can.

Great post. Many QBs have played "like Favre" and lost their jobs because of it. Playing like Favre involves forcing throws and winging it, which Favre can do because his physical talents allow him to, but he has still thrown many drive killing and even game losing INTs.

if he played like favre people would be calling for his head becasue of the INTS he could throw. Jason Campbell needs to become Jason Campbell and not try and play like anyone else. He just needs to get comfortable playing like he can.

Exactly...give him time to develop and mature under one system and one coach and he will come into his own

Took the words right out of my mouth.

How badly does it suck that after the first week we have to reevaluate how our guys need to play. "If we do this", "If they play like that"....I'm not bashing the thread. I'm hating that what I was thinking was going to be a fun season has quickly spiraled into this....

We don't HAVE to do anything. It hasn't SPIRALED into anything. It was one loss against a very good defensive front. If we play like this for the next three, four weeks then I'll be worried. But seriously guys. We are allowed to lose games.

Guys, take a look at the 2nd play of the Eagles game when McNabb threw the ball to Desean Jackson. He throws it with the corner completely on top of the receiver. He let Jackson make the play. Sure it could have been a pick but that's going to happen at times and times you are going to get a 47 yarder. I would rather have a pick in CERTAIN SITUATIONS than accept a sack or a ball thrown away.

JC was shielded by Gibbs and saunders when it came to decision making. They were terrified he would throw ints so they made the passing game vanilla as can be and didn't let him take many shots. Give him some time to get try and get comfortable again and used to playing without knowing those two looking over his shoulder.

As evidence to JC not taking chances, in his entire career, he has thrown for 250 yards or more in a game twice. That's it. Sure you can point to a Vince Young who doesn't have many passing yards but look at a guy like Cutler who has had bigger games than JC.

Again, the point of the thread is not to bash JC but to make a point of what is needed from him. I hope he can make the transition.

Great post. Many QBs have played "like Favre" and lost their jobs because of it. Playing like Favre involves forcing throws and winging it, which Favre can do because his physical talents allow him to, but he has still thrown many drive killing and even game losing INTs.

I agree. But there are some times when you need to take a chance. I've never understood why more coaches don't heave the ball on 3rd and long. In the right situation, it CAN be as good as a punt with the possibility of a huge play. If it gets picked, it only hurts the QBs stats. Of course in today's game, that IS a big deal.

The 2nd td Favre threw yesterday is a perfect example of Favre. While many would say that the pass was just thrown up for grabs and Favre should have never thrown it. Think about it for a second. It was 4th and 13 (their kicker was hurt) and he was almost sacked twice. Instead of taking a loss with no chance of a 1st down or score, he heaved it up and what do you know a receiver caught it for a score.

So you want JC to become an overrated QB with terrible mechanics that gets lucky on a play or two?

JC is still the franchise QB. Yeah he's had many play books in college and the NFL. But if he keeps listening to zorn... And get quicker at release and getting rid of the ball he'll be find.. He going through a learning curve.. With doing different mechanics staying lower.. A different play book.. I mean hell if he had the same playbook 3 years in a row.. He be great.. But thinks have to stay consitent or nor will the player.. I believe in you JC

I agree, you're going to make mistakes. You can't play tight and expect the ideal situation to throw the ball or perfection all the time. Granted you don't have to be a total idiot and throw up anything but you have to trust your WR's throw to spots and make plays sometimes and not wait and wait and wait for the window that feels comfortable, it will close.

He is over thinking it right now. Once he gets it and it becomes more second nature the game will improve.

What makes Favre consistently good is he gets rid of the ball quickly. Check out the preseason game against the Jets. He held on to the ball no more than 3 seconds except on rare occasion. Campbell needs to learn to look off receivers if they are covered and go to the next option before there is a DLman in his face.

Lets also keep in mind Favre really stunk up the joint for a while. It wasn't until he learned what Phat Hog pointed out, that he started getting rid of the ball quickly and becoming more instinctive, that he got better as a qb.

Please remember he was so bad in his first season, that he was traded from Atlanta for what many at the time considered a steal in a first round pick.

How badly does it suck that after the first week we have to reevaluate how our guys need to play. "If we do this", "If they play like that"....I'm not bashing the thread. I'm hating that what I was thinking was going to be a fun season has quickly spiraled into this....

Then have some hope and faith. Stop adopting the asinine mentalities of people on this board and you will realize that the season hasn't 'spiraled' into anything, just a piss poor performance in the opener. If it continues to get worse over the next 3 games or so, then it has tangibly spiraled into the dispair of our fanbase.

Archived