Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: 5 Myths About Those Civic-Minded, Deeply Informed Voters

Redskins Diehard

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/05/AR2008090502666.html

One thing both Democrats and Republicans agreed about in their vastly different conventions: The American voter will not only decide but decide wisely. But does the electorate really know what it's talking about? Plenty of things are hurting American democracy -- gridlock, negative campaigning, special interests -- but one factor lies at the root of all the others, and nobody dares to discuss it. American voters, who are hiring the people who'll run a superpower democracy, are grossly ignorant. Here are a few particularly bogus claims about their supposed savvy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting

"Six years later, Pew again measured public knowledge of current events and found that the young (aged 18 to 29) "know the least." A majority of young respondents scored in the "low knowledge" category -- the only demographic group to do so."

Why do all that research when they could have spent 10 minutes here at ES.

meh ... 50% of Americans might be completely ignorant, but 50% of Americans also don't vote. Those groups aren't exactly the same, but I think the more informed you are, the more likely you are to vote, and the more likely you are to be active in politics ... the cream rises to the top.

I like to think I am well informed and often I don't vote (out of spite and or laziness). I am sure I am not the only one.
You have become too well-informed to the point of becoming cynical and jaded with the whole process ... maybe it's better to just be moderately informed. :silly:

meh ... 50% of Americans might be completely ignorant, but 50% of Americans also don't vote. Those groups aren't exactly the same, but I think the more informed you are, the more likely you are to vote, and the more likely you are to be active in politics ... the cream rises to the top.

Someone needs to read their Hayek. The chapter why the worst get on top in The Road to Serfdom should be required reading.

That is just absurd. People here in the tailgate were calling it a bubble back in 2005 and were expecting this. Look at ATB's posts from back then

And in the future you'll be able to say that Alexey predicted the transformation in youth voter turnout as early as September 2008.

Someone needs to read their Hayek. The chapter why the worst get on top in The Road to Serfdom should be required reading.
I'm not going to go off and read a whole chapter of libertarian philosophy, but I believe Hayek meant "worst" in terms of morals, not in terms of ignorance. I still maintain that while the populous as a whole may be ill-informed, it is the more informed among us who are determining elections.

When did it become news that people are stupid.

What, thousands of years of human history wasn't enough evidence?

We have made some progress, though. Most of us know that thunder is not the result of angry gods, and that if you **** in the water you drink from, you're going to get sick.

Archived