Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiwanuka accuses Samuels of dirty play(merged)

Cruising270

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka alleged on Friday that Washington Redskins tackle Chris Samuels made a dirty play when he fell on the back of his ankle after being beaten on a pass rush on the final play of the NFL season opener.

Kiwanuka hurt his left ankle on the play. X-rays were negative, but the ankle was still sore on Friday, and so was Kiwanuka.

Replays showed that Kiwanuka beat Samuel to the outside on a pass rush and started moving toward Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell in the waning seconds of the Giants' 16-7 victory.

Samuels quickly turned and made a low lunging tackle, wrapping his arms around Kiwanuka's legs. His upper torso pinned Kiwanuka's left ankle.

"Honestly, I thought it was a dirty play," Kiwanuka said. "There's no question about it. He was definitely beat and instead of recovering or giving up, I don't know how many options you had, but I just don't think there is any place for that in the NFL."

Samuels was not in the Redskins locker room on Friday and was not immediately available for comment.

However, replays also showed Samuels wave his arms in a move that suggested that he was upset after the play. He stood over Kiwanuka as Giants trainers came on the field.

"Samuels, I spoke to him right after and he said it wasn't intentional and I will just leave that at that," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Friday.

Kiwanuka was upset, especially after missing the final six games of last season with a broken lower leg that also caused ligament damage to his ankle.

"I don't think there is any place for that in professional football," he said.

Kiwanuka also wasn't buying the idea that Samuels was trying to protect his quarterback.

"That doesn't matter. Honestly, you take hits," Kiwanuka said. "I took a big hit during the game and at this level, this is something that happens. Even the greatest players get knocked down. You have to stand back up, be a man and line up for the next snap. Something like that, I would never do it, having been out for the end of last season I know how valuable these games are. I would never do it to anybody, and I wouldn't expect anyone to do it to me."

Click here for rest of story

Tough that was a great play to protect our QB who would have been blindsided by a hard charging DE. Great job Samuels I hope all our players do everything and everything possible to protect our QB's. If he thinks Samuel's tried to deliberately injure him, than he is an idiot.

It wasn't intentional, but if that happened to Carter or Taylor, this entire board would be up in arms right now...

Yeah, but Kiwanuka was going to take a kill shot on Campbell and that would have been just as dirty, so Samuels did what he had to do to protect his QB...that's football. The giants are whinny little you know whats.

Was it intentional? I'm not Samuels so I don't know. I'll respond with another question... Did Brandon Jacobs intentionally punch Marcus Washington? Uh, not once but twice - missed with the first, connected with the second . Oh, and nobody seems to have noticed the play before that. After a clean tackle by Washington, Jacobs got up, KICKED Washington, and headed back to the huddle.

The Giants don't have any moral ground to complain about that game. Take your hard-earned victory and shut up.

heard an interview with pierce this morning, he vouched for samuels as a player, person and didn't think the play was dirty... basically said Kiwanuka's gonna see that from any olineman in the league that gets beat... welcome back to playing DE...

Yeah, but Kiwanuka was going to take a kill shot on Campbell and that would have been just as dirty, so Samuels did what he had to do to protect his QB...that's football. The giants are whinny little you know whats.

What? A sack on your QB would be a dirty play?!?! yeah, ok. Go back to peewee football man. Kiwi got past him and samuels tackled him by the knees. 100% cheap shot whether he tried to injure or not. I dont think he tried to injure, but it was still a dirty play.

What? A sack on your QB would be a dirty play?!?! yeah, ok. Go back to peewee football man. Kiwi got past him and samuels tackled him by the knees. 100% cheap shot whether he tried to injure or not. I dont think he tried to injure, but it was still a dirty play.

What's dirty about it?

OL get beat all the time, that's why they hold. If you can recall, Samuels got flagged for holding on that play. Just so happens that he fell on his leg afterwards.

But the word is Mathias is ok, so whats the big deal?

What's dirty about it?

OL get beat all the time, that's why they hold. If you can recall, Samuels got flagged for holding on that play. Just so happens that he fell on his leg afterwards.

But the word is Mathias is ok, so whats the big deal?

it was bush. I didnt see any of our lineman diving at Carter or anyone elses legs after getting beat for a sack. Its just not right. Kiwi easily could have broke his leg again. Its cheap. Very bush league.

He was tackled somewhat gently, in my opinion (leg tackled not hammered down from behind) by Samuels, it's not like he twisted his foot or anything. I guess Samuels fell on his foot or something when the toe was pointed to the turf? I don't see how the injury happened otherwise.

Samuels didn't dive at his leg, NFCBEast. He tackled him like many running backs are tackled, by the legs. A clean wrap up but DEFINITELY not diving at someone's knees or even ankles. It was an outright tackle. A hold, certainly, but not a dirty play.

Not dirty at all. Dirty would have been what the Giants were all game long.

it was bush. I didnt see any of our lineman diving at Carter or anyone elses legs after getting beat for a sack. Its just not right. Kiwi easily could have broke his leg again. Its cheap. Very bush league.

What's the OL job?.....

Protect the QB.

What did Samuels do?.....

Protect his QB.

Should Chris have just let Mathias cream Jason?

Archived