Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the deal with Ravens fans?

purbeast

I work in Columbia, MD but I'm a die hard redskins fan, but being midway between Baltimore and DC, there are a lot of Ravens fans here. Most of the people I work with a Ravens fans.

I just do not understand why they hate so hard on the Redskins. They talk down about the Redskins saying how bad they are and the Skins suck blah blah, but the Ravens record last year was terrible AND they lost to the Dolphins.

In general it seems that the Redskins fans don't give a crap about the Ravens, but the Ravens fans will go out of their way to talk smack about the Redskins. Their records don't even have any bounds on eachother because they are in different divisions.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

I work in Columbia, MD but I'm a die hard redskins fan, but being midway between Baltimore and DC, there are a lot of Ravens fans here. Most of the people I work with a Ravens fans.

I just do not understand why they hate so hard on the Redskins. They talk down about the Redskins saying how bad they are and the Skins suck blah blah, but the Ravens record last year was terrible AND they lost to the Dolphins.

In general it seems that the Redskins fans don't give a crap about the Ravens, but the Ravens fans will go out of their way to talk smack about the Redskins. Their records don't even have any bounds on eachother because they are in different divisions.

Does the term Baltimoron mean anything to you!?

I am in the same situation. I live in Montgomery County and work in Baltimore. I don't get the hate on the Redskins so much as the Ravens fans are just all about the Ravens and want nothing to do with anyone else. I have lots of Redskins crap at my desk(mcfarlane figure, calendar, cups, pens, pennant etc) that everyone comes by and gives me crap.

My experience, they are threatened. But Columbia is very divided.

The answer is that Baltimore for GENERATIONS has been hating on the district. It's like DC is the kid that grew up and made something of itself and Baltimore is its older brother who works at McDonald's, gets drunk every night and beats his wife, and can't figure out why DC is the favored son by their parents.

that is true too ... i have people here who think that DC is a scary place to go to and that they can't believe I actually go out for nights out on the town there. they have never been to any place in northwest DC but they think every part of DC is like south east.

then they praise baltimore, but you walk 2 blocks away from the harbor, and you are in places like see on The Wire...

The big secret of DC and B-more is that the two cities complement eachother very well. When viewed as one city, the area has everything. But every time I go to B-more; I get crap. I just tell them that March 28, 1984 was wrong. I also tell them that murdering Edgar Allen Poe in a city that he hated and taking his most famous poem as their name speaks volume as to the city's character. Edgar Allen Poe's manuscripts are at UVA. He didn't write the Raven in Baltimore. He just had his epitaph written there.

As a Skins fan and an O's fan, I'll tell you that it goes both ways. Nats fans love to hate on the O's, but the Oriole fans are generally just indifferent to it, which ultimately ticks the Nats fans off even more. In both cases (NFL and MLB), each city was without a sport, and the other city's team owner tried to block that sport from returning from said city. (While Angelos' efforts to block DC baseball were much more concentrated, Mr. Cooke did try to block Baltimore from getting another NFL team.) So naturally the fans of the new team (some of them presumably defected from the existing franchise) naturally harbor animosity towards the old team. As I said, it works both ways. Being an Oriole fan in Northern VA isn't always a picnic. I can understand Nats' fans hatred of Angelos, but I've spoken to people that hold Angelos and all of the Baltimore Oriole fans responsible for DC not having baseball for so long. First off, the O's were one of two franchises that voted against the Senators leaving town in 1971. No doubt Angelos did everything in his power to stop the Nats from coming, and that was wrong. But according to this mindset, anyone that considers himself a Baltimore Oriole fan is at fault because he's spent money on tickets, merchandise, etc, which has put money in Angelos' pocket. Speaking for myself, I wanted another team in the region, but my first loyalties will always be to my boyhood team, the O's. I also wanted another football team in the region, but the same rule applies...I'm a Skins fan through and through.

that is true too ... i have people here who think that DC is a scary place to go to and that they can't believe I actually go out for nights out on the town there. they have never been to any place in northwest DC but they think every part of DC is like south east.

then they praise baltimore, but you walk 2 blocks away from the harbor, and you are in places like see on The Wire...

In my opinion they're both great cities with bad areas, just like anywhere else. The panorama of Baltimore harbor is fantastic, as is the skyline of Washington DC. But take a wrong turn in either city, and you'd better make sure your doors are locked!

i just moved up to baltimore and have lived in DC before, and too be honest Baltimore is all about Baltimore. Anything that has to do with baltimore these people love. No matter how bad the Ravens are people are still wild about them, just like the O's. I would guess that 80% of the cars i see up here have a ravens and orioles sticker somewhere on the car.

As a Skins fan and an O's fan, I'll tell you that it goes both ways. Nats fans love to hate on the O's, but the Oriole fans are generally just indifferent to it, which ultimately ticks the Nats fans off even more. In both cases (NFL and MLB), each city was without a sport, and the other city's team owner tried to block that sport from returning from said city. (While Angelos' efforts to block DC baseball were much more concentrated, Mr. Cooke did try to block Baltimore from getting another NFL team.) So naturally the fans of the new team (some of them presumably defected from the existing franchise) naturally harbor animosity towards the old team. As I said, it works both ways. Being an Oriole fan in Northern VA isn't always a picnic. I can understand Nats' fans hatred of Angelos, but I've spoken to people that hold Angelos and all of the Baltimore Oriole fans responsible for DC not having baseball for so long. First off, the O's were one of two franchises that voted against the Senators leaving town in 1971. No doubt Angelos did everything in his power to stop the Nats from coming, and that was wrong. But according to this mindset, anyone that considers himself a Baltimore Oriole fan is at fault because he's spent money on tickets, merchandise, etc, which has put money in Angelos' pocket. Speaking for myself, I wanted another team in the region, but my first loyalties will always be to my boyhood team, the O's. I also wanted another football team in the region, but the same rule applies...I'm a Skins fan through and through.

i'd buy that if people actually cared about the Nats, but the Nats have the worst attendance and viewing record by far in the MLB (i think i remember hearing that on the radio).

Baltimore fans are diehard loyal, I will say that. In general it's a different mentality from DC in that, from what I've seen, many more Baltimoreans are pretty much born and raised there.

DC is more transient in that it's more international and plus throw in the military and government perspectives.

But one thing you said does ring very true, in that most Redskins fans are basically indifferent to the Ravens. I feel that way, being as they've only been in the area since '96-97. My rivalry was already built within the NFC East.

Now I don't root against the Ravens, but I don't share the joy in their victories either for that matter. The 2000 SuperBowl win they had was less of a celebration and more of a relief because the rival Giants didn't win.

[Edit: I saw GodFather's post after mine, but I pretty much relate, and agree, to everything he said.]

Baltimore is all about Baltimore. Anything that has to do with baltimore these people love.

The most accurate statement ever written or said.

If you have lived somewhere else and have lived or worked in Baltimore, you will notice this. When my mom worked in Bmore, she said the same thing. Other I have known...same.

Working in Bmore, I see it now. People in Bmore are ALL about anything relating to Baltimore. The only read the Sun are typically just interested in local news. Its really crazy. Its the smallest big city.

The most accurate statement ever written or said.

If you have lived somewhere else and have lived or worked in Baltimore, you will notice this. When my mom worked in Bmore, she said the same thing. Other I have known...same.

Working in Bmore, I see it now. People in Bmore are ALL about anything relating to Baltimore. The only read the Sun are typically just interested in local news. Its really crazy. Its the smallest big city.

Speaking as a person that has familial ties to both cities, that's what I love about Baltimore. Natty Boh's a beer that should never be poured, ANYWHERE. But they drink it like water (me too sometimes) because it's theirs. (For anyone that's never tried "Clipper City Ale" that's made in Baltimore, you're missing a treat!)

Speaking as a person that has familial ties to both cities, that's what I love about Baltimore. Natty Boh's a beer that should never be poured, ANYWHERE. But they drink it like water (me too sometimes) because it's theirs. (For anyone that's never tried "Clipper City Ale" that's made in Baltimore, you're missing a treat!)

My mom's side of the family is from Baltimore; my dad's is from DC. I'm on antidepressants every holiday.

Some Ravens fans hate the Skins b/c they still believe that JKC kept Baltimore from having a team when the NFL expanded with Jacksonville and Carolina....baltimore was one of the locales in the running for what eventually became the Panthers and the Jags.

(this also happened in baseball with the Expos/Nats and Angelos)

Some Ravens fans are former Colt then Redskins fans either disenfranchised by the Skins post Gibbs 1.0 failures or coming back to the local team and distancing themselves from them.

(this happened in baseball with the Nats coming back to DC with the O's already here).

Some Ravens fans don't like the Redskins coverage overtaking theirs (or sharing time- when I lived in Baltimore and my current location and can say the same about the Ravens) or being compared to the other "local" team.

Some Ravens fans just don't like the Skins or it's fanbase

and

Some Ravens fans either like us as well or don't care about the Skins and wonder the same things about the "rivalry" that was brought up in the OP.

This is what I've gotten from living in downtown Baltimore for almost 4 years, tailgating with Ravens fans that weren't all my friends, posting on the Ravens MBs on occasion and other stuff.

My best friend is a Ravens fan, so I keep up with them and the AFCN so we can talk football other than what the Skins are doing.

i'd buy that if people actually cared about the Nats, but the Nats have the worst attendance and viewing record by far in the MLB (i think i remember hearing that on the radio).

With an average attendance of around 30,000, this year's last place Nats team actually outdraws the first place Tampa Bay Rays, despite above major league prices for a below major league team.

What I hate hearing from Ravens backers is how blue collar their city is and fans are. Redskins fans from Pennsylvania to North Carolina and in the inner city of DC are not the white shirt wine drinking Hill staffers the media make us out to be. I grew up on the Hill and hate Hill staffers.

Archived