Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We might lose Thursday, but not because of....

NoCalMike

Kiwanuka is undersized and vulnerable in the run game. the move to sign McDougale speaks to the Giants' desperation at DE.

I still don't buy the argument that you can lose 3 starters from your Super Bowl winning front seven and be the same defense, Spagnuolo or no Spagnuolo.

Strahan, Umenyiora and Kawika Mitchell were not beaten out by better players - they are being replaced by inferior ones.

I still don't buy the argument that you can lose 3 starters from your Super Bowl winning front seven and be the same defense, Spagnuolo or no Spagnuolo.

Strahan, Umenyiora and Kawika Mitchell were not beaten out by better players - they are being replaced by inferior ones.

I totally agree. I've brought this up several times. Even Justin Tuck, who I've come to term with being a great player, can't generate the pass rush by himself. He had two pro bowlers on the line with him last year, and you can't tell me that it won't hurt him, since he's the only one we'd need to double. Kiwanuka made the switch from OLB, so I think it's going to take a couple weeks to get reaclimated with the position, but maybe I'm wrong. The one thing I'm really comfortable with it NY's LBs (except for Pierce), one didn't have a stellar year last year (regarding his own play, and he was with Houston I believe) and the other (the substitute for Kiwanuka) is starting for the first time, and a last minute replacement.

Their Secondary doesn't look spectacular either, except Ross who is great. I actually think we could have some success passing against them.

As for their offense, well, Burress became a monster at the end of last season, Toomer is another year older, but still good. Shockey is gone (thank heavens) and their running game is like trying to take down two rhinos. I'm not looking forward to what our D is going up against, but I'm optimistic about our O vs their D. Ironic since last year it was completely the opposite.

If we had the same coaches as last year I would smell a blowout. Skins 36 Gnats 10. Dang I want the season to start now so all the guessing would stop. Good or bad we all want to know what the real deal is. Hopefully it will be in our favor since the Gnats dont have much tape to study.

I think defensively, we will have to watch a good run game the Giants have. McIntosh hasn't looked as sharp, he will need to be on his toes. Brandon Jacobs runs hard and is quick. At least we don't have Shockey to worry about, for the Giants at least. Laron is going to have to be on his best to stretch Plaxico out once again.

fyi, shockey has never had a great game against us. i could pull the stats, but im eating lunch at my desk and i don't feel like it. someone can back me up on this.

Yep, but the question is, is Zorn going to be patient and give Portis 20-25 carries? He needs to especially if our D can contain the Giants and keep them from putting up many points. I think that it will depend on whether or not we stop their running game. If they put together some drives, we won't be able to run the ball if we're down a couple scores in the third. That's when you can start to tire a team out. Our D is the key to this game b/c if they do their job, I'd be willing to bet the house, we will be able to run the ball successfully. The last two meetings, we've averaged over 100 yards on the ground. The Giants are thin at the front 7, so we'd better run the ball damnit. I'll be pissed if we don't establish the run.

HTTR

I think we will win if we run run run.

However, I expected us to do that last year against Dallas in Dallas. We threw the ball often and early and almost won the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if we throw a lot since the Giants know that we want to run.[/quote]

I don't think so. I think that they know they're thin at their front 7 rotation, and you can say "we're going to stop the Skins' run game", but it's entirely different to actually be able to go out and do it. Run outside the tackles with mis-direction and pound it occasionally. We need 30 runs to 25 throws in my opinion. That's probably what the plan is. They can't stop it! Why try to play to their strengths? They want to pass rush and blitz. Let um run blitz and get caught. Zorn better run the f'in ball first...that's all I'm sayin'. If our D breaks, then we're going to be screwed b/c we can't afford to have a shoot out IMO. :2cents:

One factor going into Thursday that I think a lot of experts and maybe even some of our own fans are overlooking is our running game.

With Strahan's retirment and Osi's injury and the Giants all but laying their "desperation" cards on the table with their latest signings. How in the world can a competent argument be made that they are going to be able to stop the 1-2 combination of Portis & Betts?

Going into this season I think our offense early on is going to have the most success when they face teams they can run the ball efficiently against because it will take the pressure off of Campbell running the new system.

I honestly feel we are going to be able to pound the ball down their throats which will open up oppurtunities against the Giants overrated secondary(I mean come on, any secondary would be good when the opposing team's QB is under pressure on every play)

Redskins 24

Giants 21

:cheers::2cents:

:bsflag:

Me and my Pops were discussing the game, he's optimistic, I feel we are going to win (just a hunch) after being discouraged the past couple weeks.

One thing me and my dad were talking bout was my displeasure with the WR corps, notably the lack of progression from the rooks. And since going into the year, El being kinda injured and all. Then he reminded me that Portis and Betts could be lethal out of the backfield. NOw I didn't forget this notion at all. But it did get me to thinking that these two could do some serious damage with the ball if we utilize them in the passing game. I'm not discrediting us running the ball effectively either, but we should work in some screens w/ Portis and Betts since our receivers are a little underwhelming heading into the game.

Archived