Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else a bit disappointed w/ Thomas?

Rskins91

I was at the game and he didn't look to impressive. Then again he didn't have many balls thrown his way.

agreed.. not sure why Zorn didnt have more passes come his way..what better way to learn than to catch balls in a game situation.. hopefully next week, devin gets more looks

Look at it from Collins' point of view - he's a veteran backup who has been struggling to adapt to this new system and he is playing to extend his career. Given that he has about a quarter+ to prove himself in each preseason game, he probably wouldn't trust a rookie receiver participating in his first NFL contest to make plays for him - especially after two failed pass attempts.

agreed.. not sure why Zorn didnt have more passes come his way..what better way to learn than to catch balls in a game situation.. hopefully next week, devin gets more looks

Its not Zorn's fault Collins head never rotated past the middle of the field when he went back to pass half the time. You dont call "83 Fly X Swagger Bingo Rocket Zippity-Do-Da stop sign Ringo 21 95 Im throwing the ball to Devin on 2"

I didn't even know he was on the field half the time...that's one issue with this whole NFL Network deal...they used the local New York broadcast and they didn't even talk about the skins at all...we basically just watched the game on mute

NFLN is supposed to have dual coverage. The home team gets the first half of their coverage and the away team gets the second half. I too was tortured with the NY coverage for the whole game which is total BS. Im so sick of the Favre BS in this world. I would give a nut for him to stay retired.

Its not Zorn's fault Collins head never rotated past the middle of the field when he went back to pass half the time. You dont call "83 Fly X Swagger Bingo Rocket Zippity-Do-Da stop sign Ringo 21 95 Im throwing the ball to Devin on 2"

no, but plays have certain reads, and some plays are designed to go to a certain reciever, lets just say for example, Devin Thomas... so the quarterback looks his way.. if hes not open then you move on with the rest of your reads. That being said, most of the time the quarterback didnt even look Devin's way.. just sayin Zorn should call more plays where Devin is the first read..

Thomas has his man beat but Collins has no arm and underthrew him allwoeing for the DB to knock it down. QUOTE]

WOW, someone was listening...and BELIEVEING the Jets announcers... that ball was a DROP... Perfectly thrown... go back and watch... pure drop over a much shorter DB.

But I agree.... patience... First time targeted... he is runnin' on pure juice! He will be fine.

I was a little disappointed. I expected he get maybe one halfway decent catch and run. But I'm not too concerned. There are a couple of things we need to keep in mind with Devin11.

First, he only played really one full season of major college football. He played a year of JUCO, then wasn't used much at MSU as a sophomore. He really exploded onto the scene just last year.

Could he have stayed at MSU for another season and refined his craft a little bit? Probably. But the guy is just a sheer raw talent. And quite frankly, if he's going to have a big learning curve, I'd rather have him learning at the NFL level anyway. Afterall, that's where we all want him to produce.

Second, he's been banged up in the camp, which delayed his progress some. And that's not all that unusual for a rookie WR. The guys beating on him in the NFL are bigger, faster, and stronger than anything he was used to before. But now he knows what to expect, and what kind of condition he needs to be in to absorb the NFL-level pounding he's going to have to take.

And third, VERY rarely does a rookie WR come in and put up huge numbers in the NFL. Look at Calvin Johnson, the #2 overall pick last year.

CJ had a very good season. He caught 48 balls for a little over 750 yards and 4 TDs. Definitely solid numbers. But they're not world beater numbers, and this guy was billed as the greatest thing since Jerry Rice.

He may be. I'd expect the huge numbers to start to pile up for him either this year or next. It just seems to take receivers a year or two to get their NFL "sea legs" before they really break out.

Devin Thomas will be fine. The guy his a tremendous athlete, with great hands, and a good work ethic. But don't expect him to come out and be Gary Clark in 2008. I'll start looking for that in 2009, or maybe '10. This kid has that kind of potential, IMO.

goodness, first preseason game he has played, and he is already deemed unworthy. oh well, we might as well trade him. he is going to be a good one, when he is ready to play physically, and mentally. what amazed me, is watching the interview on comcast last night, he appeared to be slightly taller than kelli johnson. he looked to be about 5 ft 11 inches, not the big receiver we were led to believe. now if kelli is 6ft than thats fine.

goodness, first preseason game he has played, and he is already deemed unworthy. oh well, we might as well trade him. he is going to be a good one, when he is ready to play physically, and mentally. what amazed me, is watching the interview on comcast last night, he appeared to be slightly taller than kelli johnson. he looked to be about 5 ft 11 inches, not the big receiver we were led to believe. now if kelli is 6ft than thats fine.

Kelli in heels is EASILY 6 ft if not a little better. I saw her in Canton, and couldn't believe how tall she was. She might be 6'1''.

Out of Football shape and winded by the 2nd half, nothing wrong with that . Early injury and coming into his 1st camp not knowing what real condition you have to be in to play in the NFL. If this was year 2 worried, now? no. ;Side note please do not let me hear the name Taylor Jacobs this year, I beg you.

the kid
the kid
the kid's
this kid
This kid

Devin "The Kid" Thomas. I can see you guys already like it. smile.gif That's his nickname. During the game last night I started saying "There's the kid," everytime I saw him on the screen. Every play that he was on the field I would say "THROW IT TO THE KID!" My brother's friend said that if that name caught on he would concede to my football knowledge for the rest of his life.

Who else likes the nickname?

:cheers: to The Kid!

Thomas has his man beat but Collins has no arm and underthrew him allwoeing for the DB to knock it down. QUOTE]

WOW, someone was listening...and BELIEVEING the Jets announcers... that ball was a DROP... Perfectly thrown... go back and watch... pure drop over a much shorter DB.

But I agree.... patience... First time targeted... he is runnin' on pure juice! He will be fine.

No it was a horrible throw, if you he caught the ball near the top of the DB's face mask which allowed the DB to get his hands on the ball and break it up. That ball needs to be throw at Thomas's higest point out of the reach of the DB. Bad throw, and he still almost brought it in.

I was a little disappointed. I expected he get maybe one halfway decent catch and run. But I'm not too concerned. There are a couple of things we need to keep in mind with Devin11.

First, he only played really one full season of major college football. He played a year of JUCO, then wasn't used much at MSU as a sophomore. He really exploded onto the scene just last year.

Could he have stayed at MSU for another season and refined his craft a little bit? Probably. But the guy is just a sheer raw talent. And quite frankly, if he's going to have a big learning curve, I'd rather have him learning at the NFL level anyway. Afterall, that's where we all want him to produce.

Second, he's been banged up in the camp, which delayed his progress some. And that's not all that unusual for a rookie WR. The guys beating on him in the NFL are bigger, faster, and stronger than anything he was used to before. But now he knows what to expect, and what kind of condition he needs to be in to absorb the NFL-level pounding he's going to have to take.

And third, VERY rarely does a rookie WR come in and put up huge numbers in the NFL. Look at Calvin Johnson, the #2 overall pick last year.

CJ had a very good season. He caught 48 balls for a little over 750 yards and 4 TDs. Definitely solid numbers. But they're not world beater numbers, and this guy was billed as the greatest thing since Jerry Rice.

He may be. I'd expect the huge numbers to start to pile up for him either this year or next. It just seems to take receivers a year or two to get their NFL "sea legs" before they really break out.

Devin Thomas will be fine. The guy his a tremendous athlete, with great hands, and a good work ethic. But don't expect him to come out and be Gary Clark in 2008. I'll start looking for that in 2009, or maybe '10. This kid has that kind of potential, IMO.

alot of truth in this post :applause:

One thing I did notice though and I'm sure will be corrected immediately. If you wanted to know if it was a run play or a pass play, all you had to do is look at #11 coming off the line.

If you guys taped the game, go back and check it out. If it was a run, he'd jog out to his block. If it was a pass, he'd bust his ***. I'm sure the coaches will notice this right away and correct it.

One thing I did notice though and I'm sure will be corrected immediately. If you wanted to know if it was a run play or a pass play, all you had to do is look at #11 coming off the line.

If you guys taped the game, go back and check it out. If it was a run, he'd jog out to his block. If it was a pass, he'd bust his ***. I'm sure the coaches will notice this right away and correct it.

Good pickup STB21. I'll have to check that out.

Archived