Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are We This Year's Surprise Offense?

Jino

A couple of years ago, the Saints blew up to lead the league in offense. Last year, it was the Browns. Is this year our turn to blow up the league in offense? Although, it was only one preseason game, it certainly looks like we very well could be.

I am basing this off more than our superior QB play against the Colts. I think we may have a special offensive coordinator in Zorn. The plays were supposed to be vanilla in our last game, but our offensive game plan was so much more aggressive than in past years. Zorn's system allows for such high accuracy passing and I fully expect our QB's to have excellent efficiency in this offense. You could also see that our running game was opening up too. Some of the draw plays in the second half went for huge gains.

It could be career years for Campbell, Santana and Cooley. From the looks of it, Zorn is going to be a very successful head coach here in Washington.

Could be...although new WRs usually don't contribute a ton in the first year.

Also....it usually takes time to pick up a new offense, for the vets.

Having said that, Gibbs 2 was so bad offensively, that I don't see how it could be anything BUT an improvement.

I just flipped over to espn.....seems the Cards are playing tonight. While they aren't great....they do have a few good wrs. Will watch the first qtr.

A couple of years ago, the Saints blew up to lead the league in offense. Last year, it was the Browns. Is this year our turn to blow up the league in offense? Although, it was only one preseason game, it certainly looks like we very well could be.

I am basing this off more than our superior QB play against the Colts. I think we may have a special offensive coordinator in Zorn. The plays were supposed to be vanilla in our last game, but our offensive game plan was so much more aggressive than in past years. Zorn's system allows for such high accuracy passing and I fully expect our QB's to have excellent efficiency in this offense. You could also see that our running game was opening up too. Some of the draw plays in the second half went for huge gains.

It could be career years for Campbell, Santana and Cooley. From the looks of it, Zorn is going to be a very successful head coach here in Washington.

I agree, though I wish our rookie WR's were healthy and playing. Even though rookie WR's typically don't contribute much their first year, any contribution would be an improvement, IMHO, over what we had in years past.

I agree, though I wish our rookie WR's were healthy and playing. Even though rookie WR's typically don't contribute much their first year, any contribution would be an improvement, IMHO, over what we had in years past.

I think that at least one of the two will become a reliable red zone target. I am pretty excited for Moss and Randle El. I was able to see that our offense allows for huge YAC. Our speedsters could break huge gains this year.

If our line stays healthy, then yes, it is very possible we can surprise a lot of people offensively

I know it was just a preseason game (i try not to base anything on this) BUT, its hard not to notice the good QB play and formations and playcalling, spread offense, I think we can be very great offensively

But yeah, the line has to stay healthy

Could be. Hope so. Though I'm not sure it would be a huge surprise. Many of the components are already there. What I think would make it a bigger surprise,(other than it's success, to one degree or another),is that it's a new offense designed and called by a new head coach.

I think that at least one of the two will become a reliable red zone target. I am pretty excited for Moss and Randle El. I was able to see that our offense allows for huge YAC. Our speedsters could break huge gains this year.

If they can get off the line without messing up the timing.

Could be...although new WRs usually don't contribute a ton in the first year.

Also....it usually takes time to pick up a new offense, for the vets.

Having said that, Gibbs 2 was so bad offensively, that I don't see how it could be anything BUT an improvement.

I just flipped over to espn.....seems the Cards are playing tonight. While they aren't great....they do have a few good wrs. Will watch the first qtr.

Agreed. Gibbs 2 started working then they decided to sit on a pine cone and invite Saunders to come play dumb with a new QB that he would not run 70% of the offense with. /rant off

Being a QB himself, I think Zorn is going to really throw stuff at Campbell early to test him (pun unintentional).

I think we will take a lot of teams by surprise this year early starting with the Giants. I also think we can sustain some injuries to the line without it being catastrophic like it was last year. When we suffered the early injuries our O went in a shell with JC at QB due to lack of confidence in him. In response our patchwork oline saw a lot of blitzing and 8 man fronts. If Zorn keeps the passing game and attempts down field then we can survive some hits. Our depth on oline seems much better this year with Heyer getting another year and Rhino showing a lot of promise.

I think we will take a lot of teams by surprise this year early starting with the Giants. I also think we can sustain some injuries to the line without it being catastrophic like it was last year. When we suffered the early injuries our O went in a shell with JC at QB due to lack of confidence in him. In response our patchwork oline saw a lot of blitzing and 8 man fronts. If Zorn keeps the passing game and attempts down field then we can survive some hits. Our depth on oline seems much better this year with Heyer getting another year and Rhino showing a lot of promise.

Can you imagine all the hype we would get if we were to knock the Giants around week one?...oh my i would love that so much.

I really think we match up well with a lot of teams offensively, and i think a lot of players watch a bit too much ESPN and think we arent any good, so YES we will be a suprise this year. I firmly believe its possible to get injuries out of the way early, and come the end of the season while most teams seem to have an important player on IR or injusred and not able to play we will fly right past them.

Rookie receivers notwithstanding - the fact that Moss and Randle El seem at least primed for healthy seasons and look very good early notwithstanding...the presence of Chris Cooley and the return of our starting 5 notwithstanding...

Clinton...freaking...Portis.

I've got a good feeling this year. I think he will flourish in this offense. The running game is similar, but the playcalling will be designed around opening the run and, best of all, will not be predictable. In this 2008 incarnation of the Redskins offense, Clinton Portis doesn't have to be our entire attack and I think it will be that very fact that makes our offense better.

If our defense plays anything near what we were at the end of last season, we'll find ourselves playing well into January.

It is defenetly possible. We'll have to wait till the real games start, but there is no reason that we can't start hopeing that we will be the new high powered O!!

Archived