Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooSports: Hype aside, Redskins QB Brennan has long way to go!!!

zCommander

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-coltshype&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hype aside, Redskins QB Brennan has long way to go

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer 8 hours, 25 minutes ago

ASHBURN, Va. (AP)—The Washington Redskins fans who flocked to Ohio for the Hall of Fame game roared when rookie quarterback Colt Brennan walked onto the field in the second half. They cheered even more when the former Hawaii record-setter completed 9 of 10 passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns in the victory over Indianapolis.

The Colt was firing away at the Colts.

Quarterback controversy in the making? Hardly. Should Brennan have stayed in Canton an extra day to be measured for a Hall of Fame bust? Certainly not. But, just to be sure, coach Jim Zorn and his coaching staff have moved quickly to stomp out the Brennan hype.

“He has to become a more disciplined QB,” Zorn said. “Not risk as much as he risked in the game. This week it turned out to be a great performance, but it could easily have been the other way.”

And, just in case he wasn’t getting the message, Brennan heard more from offensive assistant Chris Meidt.

“Coach Meidt told me ‘You were pretty horrible when it came to technique’ and stuff like that,” Brennan said.

Click on the link above to read the full article

I am still going to hold on to my prediction that IF JC doesn't pan out this year then CB will be the starter next year.

even though, as the above article states, the concept of a qb controversy is ridiculous, it is quote nice that the source of it is a great performance by a backup and another backup coming off a great year instead of our starter struggling.

hopefully zorn can groom campbell and brennan and we can be as stacked at QB as we are at RB, then pull some trades off down the line maybe.

I am still going to hold on to my prediction that IF JC doesn't pan out this year then CB will be the starter next year.

I'll admit to having been a Brennan detractor, and being fairly impressed with his debut. But I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that he's the starting QB week 1 of next year.

EDIT, nor do I want him to be. I'm firmly in Campbell's corner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-redskins-coltshype&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hype aside, Redskins QB Brennan has long way to go

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer 8 hours, 25 minutes ago

ASHBURN, Va. (AP)—The Washington Redskins fans who flocked to Ohio for the Hall of Fame game roared when rookie quarterback Colt Brennan walked onto the field in the second half. They cheered even more when the former Hawaii record-setter completed 9 of 10 passes for 123 yards and two touchdowns in the victory over Indianapolis.

The Colt was firing away at the Colts.

Quarterback controversy in the making? Hardly. Should Brennan have stayed in Canton an extra day to be measured for a Hall of Fame bust? Certainly not. But, just to be sure, coach Jim Zorn and his coaching staff have moved quickly to stomp out the Brennan hype.

“He has to become a more disciplined QB,” Zorn said. “Not risk as much as he risked in the game. This week it turned out to be a great performance, but it could easily have been the other way.”

And, just in case he wasn’t getting the message, Brennan heard more from offensive assistant Chris Meidt.

“Coach Meidt told me ‘You were pretty horrible when it came to technique’ and stuff like that,” Brennan said.

Click on the link above to read the full article

No way in hell would they give Jason only one year in a new system. No way in hell. They'll let him play out his contract if he suffers this year to see if he can grasp it.

That said, I've got faith in him.

I love how people on this site (myself included) swear we know football.

When you hear Zorn and Meidt explaining why Brennan didn't play as well as his numbers showed. This is exactly why all the Brennan loves need to relax.

Let the kid develop before annointing him our starter next year. Brennan is 2-3 years away from being a possible NFL starter.

No way in hell would they give Jason only one year in a new system. No way in hell. They'll let him play out his contract if he suffers this year to see if he can grasp it.

That said, I've got faith in him.

I had made that predication in another thread I started earlier this year and so I can't back out now. :silly:

I hated on colt in another thread; i retract my previous statements. He's got skills. But, yes, the idea of him and Campbell in a QB controversy any time soon is still premature.

RANDOM THOUGHT

tell me that Colts QB (i think it was grey) didn't throw the football as fast Wakefield pitches a baseball. it was like you could probably read wilson on it as it passed by.

Also, why does everyone feel they have to be in a certain QBs corner?

Why not be in the Redskins corner and let the best players play regardless of name? Be a Redskins fan, not a players fan.

We all have a favorite player(s) we like and like to see them become successful on the team. This doesn't mean we don't support the team and support the player instead.

I might see something in Colt I don't see in JC but that doesn't mean I don't like JC. He is still a good QB. We will see how that pans out this year and if the Skins FO is willing to wait another year with him.

I think Brennan has a ton of potential. But, God, you could not come up with a more awkward-looking throwing technique. He looks like Bernie Kosar combined with Gene Garber.

I feel the same way watching Vince Young. No successful QB in NFL history has ever looked like that while throwing a pass. Maybe it will work - and I am all for lack of convention - but you have to wonder.

Why not be in the Redskins corner and let the best players play regardless of name? Be a Redskins fan, not a players fan.

I'm in the corner of whomever is starting. If Coach Zorn decides that TC should start, I'm in TC's corner, if Colt is the starter, I'm in Colt's corner. However, JC is the starter so he's the guy I'm hoping can take us back to the promise land.

The thing that people seem to forget is this: Zorn was hired for Campbell.

i totally agree but wasn't he first hired as OC? then quickly vaulted to HC? the redskins admin hired zorn for JC yes, but then as HC zorn also chose colt.

i just think that it is a big difference. the redskins powers wanted zorn for JC, but zorn (in a way) wants colt for his offense.

I think Brennan has a ton of potential. But' date=' God, you could not come up with a more awkward-looking throwing technique. He looks like Bernie Kosar combined with Gene Garber.

I feel the same way watching Vince Young. No successful QB in NFL history has ever looked like that while throwing a pass. Maybe it will work - and I am all for lack of convention - but you have to wonder.[/quote']

Go watch some film of Sonny Jurgensen.

Precisely AKM! I've said for a couple years now that this site has Redskins fans and it has fans of Redskins players. When you see someone say they are in so and so's corner, that tells you something. Play the best person for the job, period.

Obviously Brennan has a way to go even though he played well and showed a certain "moxy" out there. But, let's not overlook the fact that JC played very well too (against a higher quality of defense mind you).

Doesn't matter to me who plays, just as long as the person who does play earned the right to play and is the best person to win games.

To me, the jury is still out on JC. But it certainly isn't time to annoint Brennan the top guy. There's precious little on which to base that much optimism.

Hail,

H

Precisely AKM! I've said for a couple years now that this site has Redskins fans and it has fans of Redskins players. When you see someone say they are in so and so's corner, that tells you something. Play the best person for the job, period.

Obviously Brennan has a way to go even though he played well and showed a certain "moxy" out there. But, let's not overlook the fact that JC played very well too (against a higher quality of defense mind you).

Doesn't matter to me who plays, just as long as the person who does play earned the right to play and is the best person to win games.

To me, the jury is still out on JC. But it certainly isn't time to annoint Brennan the top guy. There's precious little on which to base that much optimism.

Hail,

H

Bingo. JC was 5 for 5 and that opening drive looked effortless, against the Colts starters. Brennan is a project. That what it is. Brennan will be the third QB on the depth chart, not 2nd. JC must have a good season this year. Grante dhe is in and out of offenses, but from a practical side, he needs to show some imporvement in some big areas, and I think under Zorn, he will.

Go watch some film of Sonny Jurgensen.

Dan T, I wouldn't say Sonny as much as I'd say Slingin' Sammy maybe. Sonny wasn't that sidearmed.

But what I saw about Brennan's delivery is that little sidearmed motion allows the ball to hang in the air for a moment before settling into the receiver's hands. His ball has a nice, soft landing when he's throwing over a defender. I think it was Cooley that said Brennan throws a very catchable ball.

Based on the film I've seen of Sammy Baugh, his ball did the same thing. But all three could rifle it in there if necessary.

Hail,

H

Archived