Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YahooSports: Hype aside, Redskins QB Brennan has long way to go!!!

zCommander

i totally agree but wasn't he first hired as OC? then quickly vaulted to HC? the redskins admin hired zorn for JC yes, but then as HC zorn also chose colt.

i just think that it is a big difference. the redskins powers wanted zorn for JC, but zorn (in a way) wants colt for his offense.

Not to burst your bubble, but Colt was drafted in the 6th round because we needed a backup/project QB. That doesn't mean he couldn't develop into a future starter, but he was by no means CHOSEN for the offense.

With all the Brennen hype, I'm still stoked about JC's perfect performance.

I think JC will be just as good as Matt Hasselbeck this year. Brennen can battle TC for the back up job.

I've been a JC supporter since January of 2006 when I posted that the QB job should be an open competition between our 1st round QB and Mark Brunell (who was coming off a statistically strong year in 05) and that Brunell should not just be handed the job. Too bad Gibbs did not feel the same way.

Point is, I find myself focused more on Colt's performance on Sunday than JC's simply because I expect JC to play that well. I think the guy is going to light it up once he gets comfortable in yet another offense. Colt was the suprise. I kept hearing since the draft how much of a bum this guy was and that all of his stats at Hawai'i were a mirage. Yet the kid comes out in game one on national tv and lights it up with some jaw dropping throws.

He's a long way from ever contending for a starting job in the NFL, but his unexpected brillant debut did deserve to "overshadow" what I consider a performance that we all should get used to seeing from JC because I think he's going to have a monster season.

Not to burst your bubble, but Colt was drafted in the 6th round because we needed a backup/project QB. That doesn't mean he couldn't develop into a future starter, but he was by no means CHOSEN for the offense.

no it is not a bubble burster. i am not living in fantasy land i just am saying there were a lot of QB's that zorn could choose for a project QB. zorn saw something in colt that he wanted for "his" project QB. i am not saying zorn plans for colt to take over for JC. if colt developes into starting caliber then he will be traded off. he will be the starter in DC only if JC loses the job, but i think both QB's will floursish.

maybe i did not write things clearly, i think colt was chosen because some of what he has fits into the offense. the potential is there. and i just feel zorn sees it. even zorn's press conference (i feel he was right on), he said colt was too risky, rookie mistakes, but the execution. . . no complaints from the big dog.

btw i do feel they downplayed the fact that JC was perfect in the game and only needed pretty much 1 drive to show he is the man.

i totally agree but wasn't he first hired as OC? then quickly vaulted to HC? the redskins admin hired zorn for JC yes, but then as HC zorn also chose colt.

i just think that it is a big difference. the redskins powers wanted zorn for JC, but zorn (in a way) wants colt for his offense.

And those are my thoughts as well. If you read my original thread on this matter (http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245859) Zorn has said he followed Colt's progress through out his college years. At that time Zorn was trying to get Colt for the Seahawks or at least had him in mind for the Hawks.

JC was selected by Gibbs and he is reprogramming/de-Saunder-ing JC fit into his offense which sometimes can be harder then taking someone fresh and teaching them the offense.

I'll admit to having been a Brennan detractor, and being fairly impressed with his debut. But I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that he's the starting QB week 1 of next year.

EDIT, nor do I want him to be. I'm firmly in Campbell's corner.

If we have a QB switch next year- it means that were were horrible this year. If that is the case, I bet we see a Tebow being the #1 guy over Colt.

--Hitman

If we have a QB switch next year- it means that were were horrible this year. If that is the case, I bet we see a Tebow being the #1 guy over Colt.

--Hitman

let's hope not cause if tebow goes out next year and the redskins are in the position to draft him, that means this season would be a 1 to 3 win season. lets just hope JC and colt both kick ass.

Dan T, I wouldn't say Sonny as much as I'd say Slingin' Sammy maybe. Sonny wasn't that sidearmed.

But what I saw about Brennan's delivery is that little sidearmed motion allows the ball to hang in the air for a moment before settling into the receiver's hands. His ball has a nice, soft landing when he's throwing over a defender. I think it was Cooley that said Brennan throws a very catchable ball.

Based on the film I've seen of Sammy Baugh, his ball did the same thing. But all three could rifle it in there if necessary.

Hail,

H

Baugh, but Sonny too. He had a 3/4 delivery, and he started his delivery with the ball held low. I tried googling some video of Sonny J. in action, but - surprisingly to me - couldn't find anything to link to. In any case, he had a non-classic style, but damn was it ever effective.

Baugh, but Sonny too. He had a 3/4 delivery, and he started his delivery with the ball held low. I tried googling some video of Sonny J. in action, but - surprisingly to me - couldn't find anything to link to. In any case, he had a non-classic style, but damn was it ever effective.

I know what you're saying Dan T. I remember watching Sonny and have at least one game on a DVD with Sonny. It's just when I saw the path of Brennan's ball, I thought more of Sammy.

We're on the same page....that throwing style can work. :cheers:

Hail,

H

I think Brennan has a ton of potential. But' date=' God, you could not come up with a more awkward-looking throwing technique. He looks like Bernie Kosar combined with Gene Garber.

I feel the same way watching Vince Young. No successful QB in NFL history has ever looked like that while throwing a pass. Maybe it will work - and I am all for lack of convention - but you have to wonder.[/quote']

Check out this post from Water Boy. He explains why Colt's unorthodox motion can be successful in this league. Of course some will disagree, but nonetheless, he appears to know what he's talking about.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5412567&postcount=152

Though you did clarify your point I just want to put these points on the board:

1) Zorn was not in charge of the draft

2) Zorn's first choice was Josh Johnson

I will say this though, Brennan seems to be a solid choice. And even if he doesn't start, I'm totally down with him being a backup - he can be our Jason Garrett or Gary Kubiak.

Colt is an accurate as hell passer......

As a Hawaii turn skin fan (cause of CB), I want to be clear on 2 things:

1) I am aware that he needs a lot of work (he was good but I didn't like that pass up the middle...i think he underestimates the calibur of NFL defense)

2) His side-arm is NOT an advantage - I think the main thing is that the ball gets to the target. Balls being batted down are being brought up a little too much cause his throws get there (mostly because he has to find passing lanes). I do not want Zorn to mess too much with his release mechanics because I think that may jeapordize his accuracy (which is his best asset). But the side-arm release is indeed a disadvantage. I hope he can overcome it but the thought of sidearm being deceivingly advantageous is crazy. I drank the Colt flavored Kool-Aid but my dosage wasn't that strong.

Archived