Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Was it just me, or did our draft picks look great?!

poultry_geist66

Yes...it was the HOF game...and the performance could mean very little, but it was exciting nonetheless. I loved the way the young guys performed.

Obviously, a big key to success is whether Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have an impact. A positive impact from them will be a huge help (IMO). But, they were out. Also, Kareem Moore didn't play (unless I TOTALLY missed that one), but I believe he is still recovering from an injury, and when he's back his value is projected to be worth more than the 6th rounder we spent on him.

But, here's a look at the rest of the draftees and their performances:

TE Fred Davis: He looked good out there, and is probably better than any backup TE we've had in a while. Definitely has much more potential. I'm looking forward to seeing just how soft his hands are, and how well he creates his own space underneath in the upcoming preseason games. An extra safety-valve receiver doesn't hurt.

OG Chad Rinehart: I've seen a couple of posts about him. I agree with the fact that not much was said about him, other than some praise over his potential. Not hearing his name was a good thing, because it means he didn't commit any penalties, make any glaring mistakes, or get beat by a defender.

CB Justin Tryon: He had his ups and downs. The ups were nice. He made a couple of plays. However, there was some concern over the downs. There were a couple of catches that he gave up that an average NFL nickel back could have stopped with his eyes closed.

P Durant Brooks: He looked pretty darn good. He will work out the kinks, like the punt that sailed into the end zone. But, here's why I'm excited about him. He was CONSISTENT in his distance (yes, I know...it's just one game). I can't say the same for Frost, who will follow up a 50 yard punt with an 18-yarder.

QB Colt Brennan: Everyone saw how good he looked. I found the comments about JZ working from the bottom up on Brennan (and the quote from Troy Aikman about having your footwork down first). The throwing motion isn't pretty, but that's ok for now. He's not coming in here with any realistic expectations, so anything positive from him would be great. The only knock I have right now is on the 2nd TD pass. The man was open for a while, right in front of Brennan, yet Brennan was looking elsewhere before finally noticing. Yes, he threw the TD pass anyway, but targets don't usually stay open that long, unless the defense has a major breakdown. Sorry....being nit-picky, but had to point that out.

DE Rob Jackson: He played almost the entire game...and he looked decent. I might have to eat crow on this one. When we picked him, and I read up about him, I was pretty sure he would be cut in training camp. But, now, I'm changing my view to a more optomistic one on him. Guess I have to give props to the scouting department.

S Chris Horton: What can I say? He was all over the field on special teams and on defense. It seemed like every time there was a play on defense, number 48 was there. What I like about this is that it's NOT unheard of for a 7th round safety to turn into a valuable contributor on a team (ahem, Pat Tillman).

Others things I noticed:

- Billy McMullen looked decent. He may give James Thrash a run for his roster spot (not likely).

- Maurice Mann started off strong, but may have played himself off the team late in the game. That drop was pretty bad.

- I want to see more of Nemo Broughton (Sellers is 33)

- With Marcus Mason performing well, I wonder if they will feature him and Rock Cartwright some more, in hopes of getting trade value for one of them. Yes, there's Shaun Alexanders and Cedric Bensons out there, but a younger back that can be groomed or a good kick return man like Rock can get us a low draft pick, as one will probably be cut anyway, as we may not have the room on the roster for 4 RBs. Anyone know Rock's contract he signed, and what signing bonus (cap implications) it has?

- Kedric Golston looked like he was in 2006 form. Which would be GREAT as a 3rd DT.

- I'm becoming a bigger fan of Khary Campbell (as a Monte Coleman type) with every performance. Be it special teams, or as a backup LB. He adds good value.

- I may stand alone on this, but I'm still not sold on Reed Doughty as our starter. I really hope he proves me VERY wrong.

I'm watching the game again right now and Rob Jacksons motor was in 5th gear the whole game. The guy is big and has a lot of hustle in him. Micheals made the comment that Jason Taylor thinks he could be a very good DE in this league and from the little I have seen I am starting to agree. The only problem he had was he overcommited a few times on the run and got caught out of place but for a rookie that was drafted in the 7th round and it being his first preseason game, I think that can be fixed with coaching. Physically he looked great out there.

I'm going to go back and watch the game again tonight to really take a solid look at Rinehart, but for the most part I agree that the rookies looked solid. I was most impressed with Horton I thought he really shined the most last night. Hopefully he can contribute in some way

is it just me or does anybody else think that Fred Davis is a sleeping giant that is going to wake up during his rookie season and produce?

I totally agree. From the moment I heard his name called in the draft, I was confused on why we didnt draft for defense, but even then, I felt Fred was a cant miss TE. I have NO doubt (even more so then our rookie WRs) that he will produce for us for many years to come, and I believe he has the protential to be a Pro-Bowl TE. Yeah I said it....

The picks played great in the first game, but I don't think we can really judge the draft class until we see Thomas and Kelly out there. Those two guys are going to be key for the skins this year if they are going to make some noise in the passing game.

I think Chad Rinehart will be a starter on this team by next year and may turn out to be the best pick in this draft for us. He can play either tackle or guard, so you know Buges likes his versatility.

Fred Davis plowed ahead and got extra yards after the first contact. I like that. I like it a lot.

And Colt...he can't control who he plays against right now. All he can control is what he does with his opportunities. And so far, you've got to give the dude an A. I hear what you're saying about the TD to Mason, but I don't think Mason was as open for as long as it seemed, at least not near the goal line. It's easy for us to see that on TV. From the reverse angle replay, you could see how Mason was not as visible at first until the QB rolled far enough right (cue concerns about Brennan's height because he couldn't see over the line :laugh: ).

In the chaos of a broken down pocket, vary few (any?) QB's can see the whole field. Brennan was looking in the end zone, then when he cleared the line, he saw Mason. Much better that, than panicking and just running or staying locked on 1 receiver.

The picks played great in the first game, but I don't think we can really judge the draft class until we see Thomas and Kelly out there. Those two guys are going to be key for the skins this year if they are going to make some noise in the passing game.

No doubt. They are key to this season.

I'm wondering just how "dinged" Kelly was. He was dressed. That probably meant that in a pinch, he could play.

But whatever. We have an extra preseason game. We still have the same number of games left as any other team (except the Colts) still have to play.

Overall, I was pretty impressed, and I've been a detractor of Brennan being drafted. I may have to reconsider my stance on him if he keeps up performances like yesterday.

However, I am worried about Tryon. Guy talks a good game, but he got burned pretty bad on that TD pass (unless he was supposed to have safety help) and there was at least one other pass I thought he should have broken up. He did make a few nice plays, but we can't have those kind of breakdowns when the regular season starts.

Good post. Good analysis.

For me, last night will be remembered for Chris Horton. For me, he was that guy who really stood out and showed that he belongs in this league and deserves to play. Mad props to him, I hope he turns in to a great football player for this team.

About the Brennan second TD, I really don't think he could have played it much better. He locked eyes with Davis as Davis broke open for a split second. Colt wanted to go there but he saw the defender on the left and right of Davis suck into him.

The defender on the right sucking into Davis gave Mason a wider hole to sit in and Colt threw a quick dart to him.

He didn't force the ball into somewhere unsafe in the redzone. He wasn't in danger of taking a sack. He didn't throw it back against the grain. I liked his patience there.

Guest ComebackKing

IT was just you .....

Only kidding!

Our draft picks looked great. Can't wait to see our rookie WR's in action.

Richardson played well...good burst on that runback. Torrence played well too.

I like your observations except for a couple things...I didnt really see anything good out of Tryon save for 1 or 2 tackles. And Khary Campbell was atrocious, right from the start with the dropped onside kick. Complete liability in coverage, the guy was getting destroyed all night. There was a string of 3 or 4 completions in a row to TE's where Campbell just completely blew it. He was absolutely horrible. If thats our LB depth, we're in trouble.

how has no one mentioned richardson. Im honestly thinking if we only keep 5 corners, richardson might make the roster and tryon may go to the practice squad (Smoot, Springs, Rogers and Torrence are all locks leaving only one spot open for a 5th corner).

Technically he wasn't a draft pick--he was undrafted. The thread was intended to specifically discuss the draft class. I don't think any disrespect is intended, it's just that he wasn't among the draft class.

how has no one mentioned richardson. Im honestly thinking if we only keep 5 corners, richardson might make the roster and tryon may go to the practice squad (Smoot, Springs, Rogers and Torrence are all locks leaving only one spot open for a 5th corner).

Tryon cost a draft pick. He'll be chosen first IMO. Doesn't matter he needs work, he's way down the depth chart. He needs to be looking like Torrence does now come the end of the season.

Rinehart is exciting. Will be interesting to see how he looks at RT later in preseason.....

Brennan and Horton both looked good in plays that just wouldn't happen in a real game, due better players on the opposition side. That being said they did both look good. As did Jackson.

I'm wondering how they're going to make room for Mason on the roster, 'cos they won't dare send him to the PS ;)

Mason and Rock running inside reminded me so much of 91 with Byner under Gibbs. I was having flashbacks the entire game. As far as Brennan's last TD. I think Colt played it right. It looked like Colt was trying to see where the D was going to commit (if to coverage then he was going to run it, and I think he could have done well if he had, but he made the right call).

mason looked solid. Its a shame Mann will get cut, but that's the breaks. I'd like to see more out of Jackson and Horton before I sign them to the squad.

is it just me or does anybody else think that Fred Davis is a sleeping giant that is going to wake up during his rookie season and produce?

I have to agree with you. One thing that will help him produce is Cooley. Teams won't be able to cover him with more than a LB at best, and that just won't cut it. Could be very dangerous in the redzone. Did anyone else notice how much he wanted the rock on Colt's 2nd TD pass? When he saw Colt look off him and throw to Mason he was pissed.

The other rookie i was excited about last night was Chris Horton. Anyone that hustles that much and is in on every play can't be bad for the team. Big special teams contributor this season i bet.

Overall, I was pretty impressed, and I've been a detractor of Brennan being drafted. I may have to reconsider my stance on him if he keeps up performances like yesterday.

However, I am worried about Tryon. Guy talks a good game, but he got burned pretty bad on that TD pass (unless he was supposed to have safety help) and there was at least one other pass I thought he should have broken up. He did make a few nice plays, but we can't have those kind of breakdowns when the regular season starts.

The good news about Tryon is that he's a 4th round pick who we're hoping to be rely upon as our 5th CB, now that Rogers looks like he'll be back for the opener. We didn't draft him to be Champ Bailey, so don't be surprised that he doesn't look like Champ as a rookie in his first preseason game.

Tryon did not play well at all. He got beat routinely. The rest did great. Rinehart will start by midseason.

If Rinehart can take the LG spot, it will keep Kendall fresh and healthy, and add valuable depth to our G and C positions (I seem to recall Kendall has some experience at C). Rinehart is also certain to have better ability to pull and lead block than Kendall does at this stage of Kendall's career, so that would be an improvement there too. That's something to root for.

Archived