Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**** ESPN & **** Brett Favre

TK

Ratings.

Anyone who thinks Favre "shouldn't" be mentioned for a day is making the same argument as those who think news networks "shouldn't" cover things like Anna Nicole Smith. While ideologically, you may be completely right, the simple fact is that most of the football fans all over the country don't care about the HoF induction ceremonies unless a member of their team is going in. They may, however, watch ESPN or NFLN for a few minutes if they're interested in hearing today's update on Favre.

Thing is, they have this channel called ESPN NEWS. Maybe they should use it sometime. :)

If they weren't talking about Favre they'd be blowing the Cowboys.

Let em. At least then the slurping would be in the background noise. Gagging on the otherhand.....

Thing is, they have this channel called ESPN NEWS. Maybe they should use it sometime. :)

A lot of people - people who can generate sweet, sweet advertising money - don't get ESPN News. Gotta maximize the dolla-dolla bills.

hahahaha thank god someone finally pulled their head out of their ass on this baseball bs:cheers: :applause:

i'm just so sick of it. even in the winter, about half of espn's airtime is dedicated to baseball.

baseball's not even a sport IMO. it's a leisure event.

i'm just so sick of it. even in the winter, about half of espn's airtime is dedicated to baseball.

baseball's not even a sport IMO. it's a leisure event.

It's the second-most popular sport in America, and also happens to have the longest season; there's really no way to avoid seeing a lot of baseball coverage on a national sports network.

I used to completely agree with you, but since the Nats came to town, I've gotten more into baseball. Now it's at least interesting me. Still nothing like football, though.

It's the second-most popular sport in America, and also happens to have the longest season; there's really no way to avoid seeing a lot of baseball coverage on a national sports network.

I used to completely agree with you, but since the Nats came to town, I've gotten more into baseball. Now it's at least interesting me. Still nothing like football, though.

Actually NASCAR is if you mean spectator sport.

It's NFL, NASCAR, MLB, NBA, NHL...

And in terms of sports played I'd bet soccer/basketball were #1 then baseball/football.

also they play when not a lot of other sports are playing unless you like wnba and beach volleyball

hold on... the nats made you like baseball MORE? haha...

watch the caps, my friend. ;)

Actually NASCAR is if you mean spectator sport.

It's NFL, NASCAR, MLB, NBA, NHL...

And in terms of sports played I'd bet soccer/basketball were #1 then baseball/football.

I've seen that claim disproven more than once. It depends on how you measure popularity. Baseball wins in certain category; baseball in others.

Plus, when it comes to ESPN, they want to air the programming that will keep the most viewers watching. Even if you assume that NASCAR and MLB have roughly the same number of fans, many more casual sports fans understand baseball at a basic level. They're more likely to watch a few minutes of baseball coverage in between others sports than they are to watch NASCAR coverage, because they at least know what's going on.

hold on... the nats made you like baseball MORE? haha...

watch the caps, my friend. ;)

Ha, yeah, as badly as they suck, I'm a DC guy at heart. The lack of a home team made me not really care about baseball. Once my city got a team, I paid a lot more attention. Hell, even with their abysmal season, I still check on their farm system a couple times a week and watch the occasional game (or at least have it on while I'm doing something else). It's kind of like the Skins during the Spurrier years - yeah, the team sucks, but it's my team that sucks. And no matter how bad they are, I care, damnit.

I actually did watch the Caps in the playoffs, but I've just never been able to get into hockey, no matter how many times I've tried, or how many times a hockey fan has lectured me about the greatness of the sport. Can't really explain why.

Ha, yeah, as badly as they suck, I'm a DC guy at heart. The lack of a home team made me not really care about baseball. Once my city got a team, I paid a lot more attention. Hell, even with their abysmal season, I still check on their farm system a couple times a week and watch the occasional game (or at least have it on while I'm doing something else). It's kind of like the Skins during the Spurrier years - yeah, the team sucks, but it's my team that sucks. And no matter how bad they are, I care, damnit.

I actually did watch the Caps in the playoffs, but I've just never been able to get into hockey, no matter how many times I've tried, or how many times a hockey fan has lectured me about the greatness of the sport. Can't really explain why.

have you ever attended a hockey game?

They always do this. Last year they talked about baseball and I was pissed because this is the NFL Hall Of Fame. Heck, they have even talked baseball during Sunday Night football halftime segments. I love Favre and can't blame him for the media not dealing with the programming at hand but it does make you sick of hearing about it.

As for the crawl, they always do that until a commercial break.

Ratings.

Anyone who thinks Favre "shouldn't" be mentioned for a day is making the same argument as those who think news networks "shouldn't" cover things like Anna Nicole Smith. While ideologically, you may be completely right, the simple fact is that most of the football fans all over the country don't care about the HoF induction ceremonies unless a member of their team is going in. They may, however, watch ESPN or NFLN for a few minutes if they're interested in hearing today's update on Favre.

See that's exactly what I DON'T get. On NFL, ESPN, Sirius NFL whatever...for the last two weeks when I hear the name Favre I change the station. I can't imagine that there aren't millions of other doing the same thing out of the same frustration and annoyance.

So where do the ratings come from? Are there really that many insipid people?

Archived