Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Kelly's Chances of Playing Sunday Slip

Truant

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/07/kellys_chances_of_playing_sund.html?nav=rss_blog

Not sure who we'll be able to field. Lots of players injured or sitting out.

Kelly's Chances of Playing Sunday Slip

Man, where to start ...

Well, WR Malcolm Kelly's chances of playing Sunday are not good. He's coming back from a hamstring injury and practiced for a few days, but today was rough. "He really labored," Coach Jim Zorn said after the morning workout. I wouldn't expect to see him back until next week.

In general, Zorn equated the time missed by second-round picks Devin Thomas and Kelly to a contract holdout, in that they are not a part of the vortex of decisions and formations that come with being on the field in real situations. "They'll be behind," Zorn said. "It's like not reporting to camp." While they get mental reps, it's certainly not the ideal situation. "It's going to be tough," Zorn said of getting them up to speed. Good thing for them there are five preseason games.

As for veterans who will be given Sunday off: Clinton Portis, Jason Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Chris Samuels and London Fletcher will not play. Cornelius Griffin and a handful of other guys may not play either, and Zorn said the team will decide soon whether Rocky McIntosh will participate. (My guess: I doubt it, given the five preseason games.)

Add to that the following injured guys who have not been practicing and are virtually certain not to participate Sunday: LaRon Landry, Anthony Montgomery, H.B. Blades, Erasmus James, the rookie WRs (Anthony Mix, Billy McMullen -- more on his knee problem below) and Rian Wallace.

Then you've got some guys, like Chris Wilson, who just came back to practice in the last 48 hours and may not be exposed to the full contact Sunday. And you've also got a dude who literally just got on the field with the Redskins for the first time this morning -- LB Alfred Fincher, who replaced Eric Shelton on the roster -- and, consider the fact that the starters who do actually play Sunday will only do so for a series or two at most, and, well, that doesn't exactly leave a whole lot of wiggle room on an 80-man roster.

McMullen (University of Virginia) was limited in practice by knee tendinitis. He went out early with two ice bags, so the Redskins could be very short on WRs Sunday night. Starters Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El will play only a series or so. The same goes for James Thrash and, with the rookies out, it's slim pickings. Zorn said he'll manage to get by since he has four TEs here -- he'll spread them out wide -- but the lack of wideouts will limit formations to base stuff.

Portis has not been much of a presence in practice this week, sitting out some drills, with Rock Cartwright and Marcus Mason getting significant work. With Portis not playing Sunday, Zorn wanted to make sure Rock and Marcus had their legs under them and were ready to take some hits, because they are in store for a lot of work Sunday night.

Zorn said Portis is healthy, and could practice fully. "He can take the reps," Zorn said of Portis. Zorn also said that Portis has some minor tightening in his hip flexors but is fine and will likely see his most preseason work in the fourth exhibition game.

(click for more)

Hmm, like a holdout?? That's not good. At least neither of these dudes have serious injuries. There is a silver lining. I wasn't really expecting a big contribution from Thomas this season. Seems really raw in routes and whatnot for the NFL level. Now, I DID expect Kelly to come in and move the chains a few times and put up 6 a few more. We'll still b fine imo

I agree, I don't mind it, but I didn't like that Zorn said that it was akin to contract holdouts. Hopefully he is exaggerating because WR isn't an easy position to transition into and adding the effect of a contract holdout will, without a doubt, negatively impact their statistical output this season.

I'm interested to see Westbrook returning kicks. Maybe he has some of his brother's wiggle.

Honestly this doesn't bother me that they are resting these guys for this game and letting them heal. As much as I'd like to see a lot of these players play that aren't, they've got 4 other games to do so.

I feel the same way. While I would love to see all the starters and back ups in action, they have a long pre season and long regular season ahead of them.

Sucks that Thomas and Kelly will be behind the curve, but hopefully we can rest them enough so when they do come back, they will be 100%.

Honestly, I just want to see JC play a series and see how the O line is, thats it. I mean hell, its freakin pre season football.

I'm just glad there is football, period.

Oh yeah, and lets hope no one else gets injured this weekend.

Hail.

I know Kelly's got a hammy... but I'm still suspicious about his knee(s). I have (more than) a feeling that his knees are worse off than reported, and am watching his development closely. This is just another data point.

Sure hope I'm wrong.

Why would they be hiding something like that? What would the team have to gain?

I don't see why you think this.

Well, I certainly don't want to see them play hurt--not this early, but I would like to see SOMEONE play.

Who's not playing as of now:

Portis, Betts, Kelly, Landry, Rocky, Rogers, Blades, Monty, Thomas?

Who am I missing?

I got a bad haircut. So I definately will be sitting this one out.

I gotta disagree with Zorn's comparison to a holdout. These guys may not be getting reps but they are part of the process and they are out there watching and learning. That's WAY better than a holdout, IMO.

I agree, I don't mind it, but I didn't like that Zorn said that it was akin to contract holdouts. Hopefully he is exaggerating because WR isn't an easy position to transition into and adding the effect of a contract holdout will, without a doubt, negatively impact their statistical output this season.

I'm interested to see Westbrook returning kicks. Maybe he has some of his brother's wiggle.

I just want him to make the team. I don't know of anyone who played at Salisbury University being in the NFL....rooting for my hometown kid I guess

I'll be praying for you brother, be strong you can make it through this.

:laugh:

Jeez. I'm sorry for all the stupid comments lately guys and girls. I guess I'm a little excited for the new season, I'll try to be more professional.

This is not news. I can't remember a HOF game that featured a lot of starters. It's a glorified scrimmage (without the safeguards) that just happens to take place in Canton, OH.

True.

Even if many of these guys played, they would've only been in for a drive-or two-at best.

Clinton Portis, Jason Taylor, Carlos Rogers, Chris Samuels and London Fletcher, and Griffin should hardly play any preseason snaps.

Agreed. We should also try and limit Jansen, Springs, Landry, and Rocky to a the fourth maybe third preseason game. Basically don't risk any starters until the last preseason game.

I gotta disagree with Zorn's comparison to a holdout. These guys may not be getting reps but they are part of the process and they are out there watching and learning. That's WAY better than a holdout, IMO.

Yeah, I think it is a bit of a stretch to say being injured is like holding out.

With a hold out, they are not with the team, bonding with their fellow players, learning the playbook, etc.

They, unfortunately, aren't getting any reps with the injuries, but they are getting everything else.

Archived