Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Police reject candidate for being too intelligent

JimmyConway

Old story. Still good.

-------

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_56314.html

Police reject candidate for being too intelligent

A US man has been rejected in his bid to become a police officer for scoring too high on an intelligence test.

Robert Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took an exam to join the New London police, in Connecticut, in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125.

But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Mr Jordan launched a federal lawsuit against the city, but lost.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

He said: "This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class. I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else."

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action and has worked as a prison guard since he took the test.

The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court's decision that the city did not discriminate against Mr Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

This is a really weird reading on discrimination, though. Would hiring only men be okay because the same standards were applied to everyone?

This is a really weird reading on discrimination, though. Would hiring only men be okay because the same standards were applied to everyone?

But the flip side is, though, if they weren't allowed to reject people for scoring over 27, then how could that reject people for scoring below 20?

If a minimum score isn't discrimination, then how can a maximum score be?

(I'll admit, though. I've already thought of an answer to my own question.)

But the flip side is, though, if they weren't allowed to reject people for scoring over 27, then how could that reject people for scoring below 20?

If a minimum score isn't discrimination, then how can a maximum score be?

(I'll admit, though. I've already thought of an answer to my own question.)

because being stupid can hinder ones job performance, being smart (I would think) wouldn't.

because being stupid can hinder ones job performance, being smart (I would think) wouldn't.

Except that they say that it would, which makes sense in a weird way, I guess.

And, good point, Larry. Combined with the above, it almost makes sense.

I suppose I understand the city's logic from an economic standpoint, but do they have any evidence of high scorers quickly leaving the job? If they have a track record of it, then I don't suppose it bothers me so much. If they don't, then I think it's ridiculous.

I'd want the smartest officers I could get, provided they could handle the other aspects of the job competently.

155 my friend...

two tests....

164, administered by a psychologist when i was in elem. school cuz they wanted to know why i was causing so many problems. apparently i was bored cuz i had a photographic memory and high intelligence.

172, later on in a test toward the end of high school.

:silly:

but on the topic. so he might get bored with being a beat cop. so move him to detective. wouldnt you want someone brilliant there? high intelligence and less things would slip by him and maybe more crimes are solved.

Well, thsoe who decide on which candidates to interview must have scored lower than 20.

Their logic, is that a trainee will be too bored with police work if he is too smart. That might be true for a 20 year old fresh out of school, but he guy is 49 years old and is smart. chances are he applied for the job so he could get a decent pension and benefits, and with technically only 16 years of service available to him, I think he will be able to stick it out in lieu of finding another career that can challenge him mentally. I mean, they guy is well past the point of "going to Europe to find himself" in his life, and i don't think he poses the same flight risk as younger candidates that the police are so worried about.

Why don't you guys throw in your SAT scores, income, car, and penis size with your IQs?

lol. i didnt bother trying on the SAT and it was the morning after the prom. so i only went in, did what i felt like doing, then left. i didnt really care about it. not that i actually cared about school either...

we should all go take the test, purposefully fall into the 20-27 range, then after we get the job, be like 'hah, fooled you guys'

lol. i didnt bother trying on the SAT and it was the morning after the prom. so i only went in, did what i felt like doing, then left. i didnt really care about it. not that i actually cared about school either...

That's cool! :thumbsup:

Archived