Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible Safety Depth? Lynch to be released from denver (Merged again)

End2round2sanders

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/30/broncos-lynch-misses-practice/

Safety John Lynch's days with the Broncos are over.

The team has given Lynch permission to explore other options, both inside and outside of football. It is expected his release will be announced by the team Thursday.

Lynch was excused from practice Wednesday morning for what coach Mike Shanahan called "personal reasons,'' after Lynch did not attend a team meeting Tuesday night as he wrestled with limited playing time in the Broncos defense.

Lynch did not return a call Thursday afternoon, but several of the team's players said privately Thursday night that Lynch "was gone.'' San Diego, where Lynch was raised, was considered a likely landing spot since the Chargers have shown interest in the veteran before in free agency. He has also drawn interest from television networks as well for work as an analyst once his playing career is over.

The 16th-year veteran has played only in the team's base defense in team drills and only in early-down situations. He has not, however, appeared for even a single play in the team's nickel (five defensive back) package or dime (six defensive back) package.

Hamza Abdullah and Marlon McCree have lined up as the two safeties in the nickel and dime. Lynch has played only with Abdullah in the team's base package.

When he signed a one-year deal this past offseason that including a significant pay cut, Lynch said he had been told by the team's coaches he was not guaranteed a starting position, but that he would be allowed to compete in "every situation.''

Both Shanahan and defensive coordinator Bob Slowik gave Lynch only mild support as training camp opened.

Shanahan said as camp opened: "I sat down and talked to John at the end of our OTAs and I think John knows as you get older there are no promises, all you do, when you talk to player, is share with them that you'll give them an opportunity to start, an opportunity to do what he's done in the past, but there is no guarantee in this game when you get older. John doesn't want any free lunches, he wants to go out there and compete. He'd like to be an every-down player ... but that's part of the evaluation process.''

While Slowik said: "His chances are just as good as anyone else's chances, you just can't jump to any conclusions…we've got to let it unfold.''

Lynch has said publicly it was Broncos owner Pat Bowlen convinced him to return to the team for another year. The Broncos asked Lynch to forego a $1.12 million roster bonus he was scheduled to receive and there was some feeling, because he does not play special teams, he would be asked to take another pay cut if he was not the starter on defense.

They say San Diego is where he wants to go cause he grew up there but they said we could be interested. Think it would def. help our young safeties out to have him there for a year.

No...no...no...no...no.

Reed Doughty is Johny Lynch lite. Schweigert and Fox provide great depth. And LaRon will remind us of ST21 with his play this year. I also understand Springs has played a little safety in camp, and Torrence can slide in in a pinch.

We are absolutely set at safety. No reason to disrupt the chemistry back there, or delay Doughty's progression for a guy who'd probably only give us one year.

I respect the hell out of Lynch though. If he wants to keep playing, I hope he gets to somewhere.

I disagree. If he is interested in the Skins we should have the coaches evaluate him. Just like having Taylor on the defensive line, having Lynch in the secondary would be helpful so he could mentor the younger players. He probably would not require a big salary too. If he goes to play for Norv this year and has a productive season, then the ExtemeSkins doubters will be kicking themselves!! If he hooks up now with the Chargers, then he will probably finish his career with them. He strikes me as a player who would know when he has nothing left in the tank and not kid himself into thinking that he could play one more season and be ineffective.

after Lynch did not attend a team meeting Tuesday night as he wrestled with limited playing time in the Broncos defense.

For the sake of arguement where would he be on the depth chart?

Also, signing him would appear to go against what seems to be a sound plan from Cerrato to get younger and find and coach young players

:laugh: :laugh:

This guy is so old, he's, he's gonna retire soon.

God I suck.

:doh:

Don't be so hard on yourself. You just haven't spent enough time in this posting "system," rookie. You'll be OK. ;)

This guy is so old, he picked off Sammy Baugh's first forward pass. :silly:

Don't be so hard on yourself. You just haven't spent enough time in this posting "system," rookie. You'll be OK. ;)

This guy is so old, he picked off Sammy Baugh's first forward pass. :silly:

Lemme try again.

This guy's so old, he knew Darrell Green, Hall of Famer, when he WASN'T fast.

:mad:

God dammit! DG has always been fast! Out of the womb, and into the Hall of Fame!

Archived