Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pierce says he's the best player in the world

81artmonk

Finals MVP Paul Pierce, who recently spent three days at a ball camp in Madrid, is making, ahem, news about what he said to a Spanish reporter. The money translation, via RedsArmy: "Q: Is Kobe really the best player in the world? Pierce: I don't think Kobe is the best player. I'm the best player. There's a line that separates having confidence and being conceited. I don't cross that line but I have a lot of confidence in myself."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Paul-Pierce-says-he-s-the-best-player-in-the-wor?urn=nba,96670

So you win 1 NBA title and now you are the best player in the world. I'm wondering how well that sits with his teammates which helped him win that title?

Wow. So the best basketball player in the world's team won how many games the year before last? :laugh: What a joke

I still can't believe the praise he got for "heroically" coming back into that finals game after he made it look like he'd been shot in the leg or torn an acl.

Guest sith lord
Great player? Yes.

Finals MVP? Sure.

Best player in the world? Not quite (Kobe or, sigh, LeBron).

Chris Paul is rapidly entering into the discussion.

this year he IS the best player in the world.

Playoff MVP (not real but true)

Finals MVP

heart and soul of his team

most celebrated on his team.

yeah, he has earned that right to say that. Kobe choked in the finals and Lebron isnt even close when it comes to clutch.

and yeah sith, chris paul is rapidly joining that discussion and deservingly so.

Pierce is such a good player that for years, nobody in Boston showed up just to watch him play -- like they have for Julius, Kareem, Wilt, Mike, Kobe, Shaq, etc.

For a looooong time, going to Celtics games routinely felt like a weird cult experience. You didn't hear that much about them on the street in town, yet here were all these die-hard fans in the middle of the city on a weeknight. And then they'd vanish again, not to be heard from until the next game or next season...

Kinda like the Pats before 2002, but at least the Celtics had a huge past to talk about. Still, C's chat in Boston was mostly at polite conversation level until last season, with few exceptions (EC Finals a few years ago).

And who was there for all of it? The NBA's Greatest Player, Paul Pierce, who the C's nearly traded away a few years ago. When your team can't even handle your greatness and comes within a whisker's breadth of trading you away, that's The Truth. :rolleyes:

this year he IS the best player in the world.

Playoff MVP (not real but true)

Finals MVP

heart and soul of his team

most celebrated on his team.

yeah, he has earned that right to say that. Kobe choked in the finals and Lebron isnt even close when it comes to clutch.

and yeah sith, chris paul is rapidly joining that discussion and deservingly so.

That point is debateable.

The rest I agree with.

That point is debateable.

The rest I agree with.

I know you are a Celtics fan so I am down to debate this with you.

he rode with his team when they sucked.

he rode with them when that jackass college coach Petino was making idiotic statements.

he was there when Walker left and won a ring in Miami.

He sucked it up and played his heart out this year.

I say he is...

what sayeth you?

I know you are a Celtics fan so I am down to debate this with you.

he rode with his team when they sucked.

he rode with them when that jackass college coach Petino was making idiotic statements.

he was there when Walker left and won a ring in Miami.

He sucked it up and played his heart out this year.

I say he is...

what sayeth you?

:laugh:

I wasn't saying you were wrong - I just think it's debateable that a certain newcomer brought a different attitude to the team that was sorely lacking - possibly helping to contribute to the less selfish Paul Pierce that was able to become the Finals MVP.

I wasn't saying you were wrong - I just think it's debateable that a certain newcomer brought a different attitude to the team that was sorely lacking - possibly helping to contribute to the less selfish Paul Pierce that was able to become the Finals MVP.

I was kind of shocked to say it too since I predicted the Lakers in 6 :doh:

Great player? Yes.

Finals MVP? Sure.

Best player in the world? Not quite (Kobe or, sigh, LeBron).

I think Paul Pierce outperformed both of the other big three throughout the playoffs. Pierce was legitamately the MVP of the finals.

I don't have a problem with Paul thinking of himself as the best player in the league coming off his MVP finals performance. Head to head he certainly had a better series than Kobe.

I told all you ****s it was Celtics in 6 - noone wanted to listen. :laugh:

:finger:

and honestly, why wouldnt he want people to think that? he can say it even if it just to put that thought in your head that MAYBE he is the best. that will take you off your game right there whether you believe it or try too hard to discredit that and give him an edge.

:2cents:

:finger:

and honestly, why wouldnt he want people to think that? he can say it even if it just to put that thought in your head that MAYBE he is the best. that will take you off your game right there whether you believe it or try too hard to discredit that and give him an edge.

:2cents:

I agree. I'm pretty sure the majority of the top 50 players in the NBA all "think" they are the best players in the game.

You have to have a certain arrogance to be that good in a sport.

Archived