Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did anyone see the NFL Top 10 players not in the HOF?

mcarey032

I thought it was a very funny list. I am surprised about Jerry Kramer of the Packers and Jim Marshall of the Vikes. The one person who did not make the list which should have been any where in the top 10 was... Chris Hanburger. How did he not make the list? He has the most pro bowls of any Redskins player including Ken Houston who had a bunch of them. I saw that Czaban was on and he said Gary Clark. I thought it was a nice try, but Clark's numbers are great, but they are so many receivers that have very similar numbers that it would be near impossible to justify him and not the others. I love Clark. Probably my all time favorite receiver, right after Monk of course, but I am not sure that he qualifies for the HOF. Stranger things have happened though. So tell me what you all thought of the show if you saw it?

Hanburger would of made a great advertisement in the stadium today, you know the one that says... whats cooler than your favorite teams colors being mustard and ketchup .. would you like either on your Hanburger :laugh:

Hey check your pm :)

The one person who did not make the list which should have been any where in the top 10 was... Chris Hanburger. How did he not make the list?

Chris Hanburger is the most overlooked Hall-of-Fame candidate in NFL history. He was voted to the Pro Bowl nine times, selected as an all-pro five times and was named the NFL defensive player of the year in 1972. There is no former player with his resume who is not enshrined in Canton.

I did watch it and found it rather offensive that right after Czaban said Gary Clark, they decided to use footage of a writer saying "yeah right" or words to that effect. I'm sure the writer wasn't responding specifically to Gary but rather the editors used his line and decided to insert it after that.

Sorry, if Michael Irvin is a hall of famer then Gary is one too. His numbers match. He was on 2 Super Bowl Champions. He caught touchdowns in both Super Bowls he appeared in and caught the biggest passes that won the NFC Championship Game in 1987 and iced the 91 NFC Championship. He didn't have Troy Aikman throwing him the ball and had to have the wealth spread with his Posse mates.

I can deal with Gary not getting in right now or even perhaps ever, but at least don't mock his candidacy NFL Network.

As for the list itself. I always get a laugh at the Cris Carter idiots. "Just as good if not better than Art Monk". :laugh: Yeah right. Also shouldn't Dr. Z be removed from the HOF committee after what he admitted to last night? He admitted to being fed up with the Art Monk question (still seemed like he does not think Art belongs in the Hall) so he decided to vote him in "to get him out of the way". :mad: So he voted for someone to "get them out of the way"? This man should keep his vote?

I know Carter is going to get in (probably next year) but I have never viewed him as one of the elite receivers. I don't care what his numbers say, I view him as a product of the pass happy 90's. He's the leader of the inflated numbers club who's members include players like Sterling Sharpe, Earnest Givens, Rod Smith, Andre Rison, Haywood Jefferies etc. Players who's stats would be HOF numbers if achieved in prior eras but now seem dime a dozen.

Chris Hanburger is the most overlooked Hall-of-Fame candidate in NFL history. He was voted to the Pro Bowl nine times, selected as an all-pro five times and was named the NFL defensive player of the year in 1972. There is no former player with his resume who is not enshrined in Canton.

Most overlooked NO DOUBT! I mean Art & Darrell are both worthy, but Christian has been eligible since '83. Consider the years waited: Green (1), Monk (8), Hanburger a quarter century. There are others to be sure. For me personally, it's Jerry Kramer. He paid a visit to my girlfriend's (now my wife) home when I was 18. It was '72, I was an O-lineman headed for college and it was like seeing GOD. He's been eligible for (35) years. Also, I have to say it... Bob Hayes.

How can there not be a single member from the best o-line in the history of thr NFL?Not a single Hog in the Hall.What a farce!

To give you a perspective on how tough it is to get into the HOF. How many of the Hogs have been waiting 35 years with 5 NFL Championships including the first two Super Bowl rings?

Gary Clark put up almost identical stats to Irvin a decade earlier, without Emmitt or Aikman, and with 2 other very good receivers sharing the receptions.

He should have gotten in before Irvin but I don't see how Irvin even qualifies. He was the #1 receiver on a team with the best OL and running game in the league and he didn't do **** before Aikman and Smith showed up and made the offense go. Irvin benefitted from 8-9 in the box for a decade and that makes him great?

Irvin getting in is fine. HOwever, Clark should be in as well. In not as many seasons, he still put up high numbers, as well as helped win championships. If Monk was just known for catching a bunch of 10 yard hooks, then Clark was definitely known for being a deep threat. Same arguments apply for Clark as they did for Monk, he played at a time when passing was not as crazy as it currently is.

Same arguments apply for Clark as they did for Monk, he played at a time when passing was not as crazy as it currently is.

Actually every argument against Monk for 10 years were the same arguments that "SHOULD" have put Clark in the HOF a long time ago.

He was a deep threat, he got the Post Season TD's, he played well in all the big games. He did all the things that they said Monk didn't and he matches Irvins numbers while not playing in the mid 90's crazy WR years when they could get away with anything to make the catch.

He never benefited from a year like 1995 where 10 receivers (including Irvin) were allowed to do whatever necessary in order to get 100+ receptions.

He was also screwed out of First Team All-Pro in 1991 and I have no idea how. Maybe I am wrong, but which 2 are All Pro in 1991, the year the Redskins demolished everyone?

Look at these stats.

Irvin------ 93R 1523Y 16.4YPC 8TD 3Fumbles

Clark----- 70R 1340Y 19.1YPC 10TD 0Fumbles

Jeffries-- 100R 1181Y 11.8YPC 7TD 3Fumbles

Hanburger--absolutely

Clark--Yes...Irvin's stats w/ far less stability around him @ QB and RB over the course of his career.

Two more:

Jacoby redefined a position. When he got here--undrafted--some said he was 'too big' to play.

Dexter Manley--Set aside the off-the-field struggles and look at his stats and his performance in big games.

How can there not be a single member from the best o-line in the history of thr NFL?Not a single Hog in the Hall.What a farce!

They were great as a whole, unlike say Anthony Munoz who stood out on a bad Cincy line, which might be their undoing.

Irvin getting in is fine. However, Clark should be in as well. In not as many seasons, he still put up high numbers, as well as helped win championships. If Monk was just known for catching a bunch of 10 yard hooks, then Clark was definitely known for being a deep threat. Same arguments apply for Clark as they did for Monk, he played at a time when passing was not as crazy as it currently is.

Great points. Spot on.

to the Nfl network the washington redskins are the devil.

If you've seen all the Top 10 lists, we are represented quite well and there is no basis to complain. Maybe the lack of coverage we get, but then 30 other teams not named Green Bay or Dallass has a right to complain also.

Hanburger--absolutely

Clark--Yes...Irvin's stats w/ far less stability around him @ QB and RB over the course of his career.

Two more:

Jacoby redefined a position. When he got here--undrafted--some said he was 'too big' to play.

Dexter Manley--Set aside the off-the-field struggles and look at his stats and his performance in big games.

Clark is still a maybe, only because he may get the Monk treatment for a while. He's on the fence, but I'd lean towards a yes for him.

Grimm was the better lineman. He should be the 1st Hog to get in.

Dexter? Nah, he had a few great seasons, but overall his 97.5 sacks are not that good. I know some will say Lawrence Taylor got in with his drug problems, so Dexter should, but the difference is, Taylor never got caught or banned from the NFL. I'm sure Dexter's ban is still in effect.

Cris Carter makes me sick. He strikes me as a total phony. Anyone who would actively campaign for himself OVER another person (which he did with Art Monk) before the vote actually comes is really low-class as far as I'm concerned.

That said, he without a doubt belongs in the Hall, but I find it amazing how so many of these writers think it's a "travesty" that he didn't get in on the first ballot. Even Carter was on there saying how he researched all these people who didn't get in on their first ballot and how that made him feel better, etc., etc. What a dope.

Thank God the right thing happened this year, even if in Zimmerman's case it wasn't for the right reasons. Eff 'em.

Actually every argument against Monk for 10 years were the same arguments that "SHOULD" have put Clark in the HOF a long time ago.

He was a deep threat, he got the Post Season TD's, he played well in all the big games. He did all the things that they said Monk didn't and he matches Irvins numbers while not playing in the mid 90's crazy WR years when they could get away with anything to make the catch.

He never benefited from a year like 1995 where 10 receivers (including Irvin) were allowed to do whatever necessary in order to get 100+ receptions.

He was also screwed out of First Team All-Pro in 1991 and I have no idea how. Maybe I am wrong, but which 2 are All Pro in 1991, the year the Redskins demolished everyone?

Look at these stats.

Less receptions + more yards + touchdowns - fumbles = better player...aka Clark is head and shoulders the best player out of those three. I never really got the chance to watch him play but simply by stats alone, in an era where offenses simply didn't pass as much, with other great receivers vying for touches...Clark definitely deserves to get in.

I did watch it and found it rather offensive that right after Czaban said Gary Clark, they decided to use footage of a writer saying "yeah right" or words to that effect. I'm sure the writer wasn't responding specifically to Gary but rather the editors used his line and decided to insert it after that.

Sorry, if Michael Irvin is a hall of famer then Gary is one too. His numbers match. He was on 2 Super Bowl Champions. He caught touchdowns in both Super Bowls he appeared in and caught the biggest passes that won the NFC Championship Game in 1987 and iced the 91 NFC Championship. He didn't have Troy Aikman throwing him the ball and had to have the wealth spread with his Posse mates.

I can deal with Gary not getting in right now or even perhaps ever, but at least don't mock his candidacy NFL Network.

As for the list itself. I always get a laugh at the Cris Carter idiots. "Just as good if not better than Art Monk". :laugh: Yeah right. Also shouldn't Dr. Z be removed from the HOF committee after what he admitted to last night? He admitted to being fed up with the Art Monk question (still seemed like he does not think Art belongs in the Hall) so he decided to vote him in "to get him out of the way". :mad: So he voted for someone to "get them out of the way"? This man should keep his vote?

I know Carter is going to get in (probably next year) but I have never viewed him as one of the elite receivers. I don't care what his numbers say, I view him as a product of the pass happy 90's. He's the leader of the inflated numbers club who's members include players like Sterling Sharpe, Earnest Givens, Rod Smith, Andre Rison, Haywood Jefferies etc. Players who's stats would be HOF numbers if achieved in prior eras but now seem dime a dozen.

Yeah, I watched that crap the comments about Monk made me sick. Carter has HOF numbers, but he played at a time when the NFL decided to basically favor offenses and set penalties that would make sure scores would be inflated. A CB can hardly get near a receiver now. Monk did it with CBs hanging all over him.

Roger Staubach's neck would be 3 inches longer... If Chris Hanburger had not played in the NFL!!! #55 should be in the HOF!!!

The players they mentioned on the show that I thought should be inducted are; Ken Anderson QB Cincinnati and Jerry Kramer G Green Bay.

The other Redskin player who should be in... Russ Grimm!!!

Bottom line is this for Art: He is now in the Hall Of Fame that cannot be taken away from him....the writers caved in.

Sooner or later #55's time will come.

I get the feeling after Carter and Rice a lot of these receivers will cancell each other out.

I read somewhere that many of writers were saying until Monk gets in...unless the guy is named Jerry Rice we won't vote for another receiver.

I watched it too. Along with the Art Monk piece on Total Access. How do people get to vote? That part I never understood.

I actually think Carter should get in, as well as Clark. Dr. Z is a ****er

Look at these stats.

I know that the entire Steelers team of the 70's are in the HOF but Stallworths and Swanns numbers are nowhere near HOF worthy. Clarks numbers pwn them both. Mike Quick even had better numbers than them. GARY CLARK FOR THE HALL OF FAME.

Courtesy of www.nflnetwork.com

http://www.nfl.com/halloffame/story;jsessionid=AC15EDB07B80C197B2962801C03BC94C?id=09000d5d8099cc39&template=with-video&confirm=true

Posted: 6 hours 10 minutes ago

Top 10 players not in the Hall of Fame

NFL Network

Ken Anderson

Four Pro Bowls, the 1981 MVP award and the first Super Bowl appearance in team history were not enough to get this Bengals legend into the Hall.

Watch clip | Anderson's career statistics | Super Bowl XVI highlights

Steve Tasker

Marv Levy once called Tasker -- arguably the greatest special teams player of all time -- the most important man on the Bills' roster.

Watch clip | Tasker's career statistics | Bills.com: Tasker spotlight

Alex Karras

Before he punched a horse on Blazing Saddles, Karras -- nicknamed the "Mad Duck" -- was one of the most dominant defensive players of his era.

Watch clip | Lions.com: Karras bio | Lions history

Ricky Watters

Watters put up better numbers than many backs already in the Hall, but many recall his flamboyant personality more than his accomplishments.

Watch clip | Watters' career statistics | Super Bowl XXIX highlights

Ken Stabler

With "The Snake" behind center, the Raiders were perennial contenders, playing in five straight AFC title games and winning a Super Bowl.

Watch clip | Raiders.com: Stabler bio | Super Bowl XI highlights

Bob Hayes

The fastest man alive may not have had the greatest hands, but "Bullet" Bob Hayes still managed to help revolutionize the game with his speed.

Watch clip | Hayes' career statistics | Cowboys Ring of Honor: Hayes

Jim Marshall

The "Ironman" of his era, Marshall played in 282 consecutive games, but this defensive end may own the most famous football blooper of all time.

Watch clip | Top nicknames: Purple People Eaters | Vikings history

Cris Carter

Many said all Cris Carter did was "catch touchdowns," but the Vikings great ended his career second all-time in receptions, and, of course, TDs.

Watch clip | Vikings' Ring of Honor | Individual records: Receiving

Derrick Thomas

Derrick Thomas finished his career with 126.5 sacks and still holds the record for most sacks in a game with seven, which he set in 1990.

Watch clip | Thomas' career statistics | Chiefs Hall of Fame: Thomas

Jerry Kramer

Kramer helped pave the way for the famous "Packers sweep," as well as five NFL championships in the 1960s for Titletown USA.

Watch clip | Top weather games: Ice Bowl | America's Game: Ice Bowl

Archived