Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brennan skeptics: I want to hear from you!

modazfuk

I was a big hater of Colt Brennan at Hawaii because i thought they played a soft schedule and he was a system guy.He still might be a system guy but last night changed my mind about him!Go Colt

Every quarterback drafted is a 'system quarterback' in the sense that, for each quarterback, there's a system that's optimal for them.

The R&S offense isn't a commonly-used base offense in the NFL, but Colt Brennan damn sure got the next best thing in the WCO.

I think we finally found the system that's right for Campbell, too. He rode a WCO at Auburn all the way to an undefeated season and a Sugar Bowl win.

Most system quarterbacks can be good backups depending on whether the system run on any particular team matches the one they could excel in - like Colt Brennan and the WCO.

Todd Collins screamed 'system quarterback' last night. The WCO isn't the right system for him - or maybe it was the disadvantage of being under Saunders' offensive playbook so long that he never got the chance to learn anything else. And this stage in his career is a little bit late to teach and old dog new tricks.

Honestly, my favorite moments of the game were sideline shots of the Skins.

And in half of them it was Colt Brennan congratulating another player, both offense and defense, for doing something awesome. The thing a lot of us never saw from him in college was his rapport with his team, but we read about it. And after seeing him bonding and congratulating veterans as a rookie I got the impression that he is already finding the ease in leading a veteran NFL team.

I hope that doesn't sound like a stretch. Some people are naturals at speaking in front of crowds. Some aren't. Some people are natural leaders. I think he has that. And the best kind of leadership cannot be taught or learned. And the reason that is important to me is we haven't had a vocal leader "I am this team" type of QB since Theismann. Maybe Williams. And yes, I include Jason in that sentiment.

Just my opinion, but I thought it funny when Al Michaels made the comment that he could feel the increase in energy level and tempo when he came in the game. Man, I can't wait till next game....

You act as though Jason gets no support from his teammates.

Fact is, Colt just threw his 1st NFL TD. Jason threw his 13th from the start of 07. Hell yes they'll congratulate Colt, but Jason has been there.

Just my opinion, but I thought it funny when Zorn said that Brennan's tempo was slower than Collins', making Michael's thoughts moot.

Fact is, Colt just threw his 1st NFL TD. Jason threw his 13th from the start of 07. Hell yes they'll congratulate Colt, but Jason has been there.

Just my opinion, but I thought it funny when Zorn said that Brennan's tempo was slower than Collins', making Michael's thoughts moot.

Maybe that meant that Brennan didn't look rushed when he dropped back, because Collins certainly did.

No, he meant that it was Colt doing the congratulating, not that he was being congratulated. He liked seeing the rookie supporting his teammates on the sidelines...

Some people need to realize that a compliment of Colt Brennan is not automatically a knock on Jason Campbell. :doh:

Agreed and that has been why so many people are taking offense. My entire opinion with Colt is let the guy develop. Keep things in perspective. If both turn out to be great, GREAT.

No need to root just for one. Root for the team.

There was one play in particular where Brennan COMPLETELY MISSED a wide open wide receiver, proceeded to run around a bit, then throw it to that same receiver (Mason) for a touchdown. It took him a good 3-5 seconds to make the decision, and luckily the Colts never covered him.

I agree. He still needs work. He looked good and played well, but that doesn't tell the whole picture. He was a little slow with his reads... He's a rookie. That is going to happen.

In fairness, on that play, it looked like Brennan was initially looking into the end zone where the tight end was (maybe Davis), and just checked down to Mason at the end. When I first saw it, I thought the same thing as you, because it seemed obvious that Mason was open, but the replay showed Davis so maybe, just maybe, that's what he was looking at. You're right though, better reads, quicker decisions are probably what he needs to work on.

Beyond that though, I have to say, I don't recall ANY rookie quarterback having a preseason debut quite like Brennan's last night with the possible exception of Brady Quinn in Cleveland a couple of years ago. I know all the arguments about it just being preseason and that there's a lot yet to be determined about the kid and they're all true. I'm not trying to draw any firm conclusions from last night's game but that was as impressive a rookie debut as I have EVER seen from a Redskin QB.

He hit a lot of tough passes down the field and rifled the ball into tight spots where needed. He showed mobility and poise and seemed to have a quick release. More importantly, he was extremely accurate. A critical factor in the West Coast offense.

One game in, I'm happy...

Am I the only one that is reminded of Jake Plummer when watching Colt Brennan play?

do not say that...

(and the answer to your question by the way, is no, you're not the only one. the same thing occurred to me but I quickly banished the thought from my mind...)

This post is great, so many doubted his talent, now the feelings are changing.

Mine are not, his delivery needs to be fixed before he can be considered an NFL caliber qb. What I am honestly hoping is that Zorn works on him for a few years, and he can be traded similar to how Matt Schaub was done. Let people ramp him up based on preseason games and get a first rounder for him.

But that's far away from being able to tell. He practically throws sidearmed in the pocket. That will be batted down so many times with first stringers in the game.

He just seems to have that "gamer" kind of vibe about him and just likes to have fun and make plays.

Does that give me the confidence that he's ready to play now on the NFL level, no, but you can't discount what he did with the shot he had. If he can continue this, I'm going to love watching him play.

Overall, I'm just happy that we weren't left with having to create excuses about this or that, offense being vanilla, JC in a new system, etc. like we used to every pre-season with Gibbs 2.

This post is great, so many doubted his talent, now the feelings are changing.

after a 2nd half in a the year's first pre-season game? some of you guys are ridiculous. There was a time when Danny Wuerffel looked awesome in preseason and we all know how they turned out. :doh:

Some people need to realize that a compliment of Colt Brennan is not automatically a knock on Jason Campbell. :doh:

And a compliment of Colt is not automatically a petition to have him be the starter...

And a compliment of Colt is not automatically a drive to have him enshrined in Canton...

A compliment of Colt is an acknowledgement that he played well, as well as we could have hoped. Nothing more :cheers:

Really? First of all, what the hell could you have misinterpreted from Zorn that would make you more critical of what you thought he was before you saw him play?

Did you even listen to Zorn's presser this morning or Doc Walker's comments afterwards? Probably not, but Zorn was critical of his timing and his footwork. Again, he has a ways to go.

And DID you see him play? I'm starting to doubt it, if you're basing your opinion around a coach's comments on the game as opposed to the game itself.

Grats. You get the dumbest sentence of the day award.

Yes, I watched the game and was impressed with how he played but I also tempered my reaction knowing that he was playing against defenders at the bottom of the Indy depth chart, and definitely not starters.

I also listened to Zorn, who not only is his HC, but also his main instructor. Something it seems that you either wish to ignore or are ignorant of.

Bring a better argument. At least say, "Well, he didn't play in the Pac-10 in college." or "he was up against camp bodies and scrubs." Perhaps so - but so were the guys catching for him and many of the guys blocking for him. Give me something better than what you just gave me, because right now, all I see is a bagful of bias and EPIC FAIL.

Lord almighty kid, you have your panties in a twist, don't you?

Brennan has a way to go in his development not only because of his mechanics, not only because of him playing in the WAC but also that he is a rookie QB. Period. I was this critical of Campbell as well when he came from Auburn.

Nowhere have I ever stated that he won't end up being a starting QB somewhere down the line. Brennan has too much potential for Zorn to not be able to at least get him to that level. What I do reject is the blind and naive notion that he is ready right now. He absolutely, without a question is too unpolished to play at the NFL level.

Zorn is working with his feet first. Then his throwing motion. Then finally he will mold his mind to what a WCO QB needs to be. Until then, no he is not ready.

Did you even listen to Zorn's presser this morning or Doc Walker's comments afterwards? Probably not, but Zorn was critical of his timing and his footwork. Again, he has a ways to go.

So then you were ok with Brennan's timing and footwork before now? I only ask because you said that after Zorn's press conference you thought even less of Brennan than you had before.

So then you were ok with Brennan's timing and footwork before now? I only ask because you said that after Zorn's press conference you thought even less of Brennan than you had before.

I believed that his footwork was decent, as he was more of a roll out passer in college. Listening to Zorn and then going back and watching the game again via DVR, I noticed what Zorn was saying; he doesn't stay set in the pocket and has a tendency to move when he doesn't have to.

Archived