Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brennan skeptics: I want to hear from you!

modazfuk

Your responses are as juvenile as this general group here.

You guys are trashing a brand new QB. I read a lot about Zorn this and Zorn that. So, I ask what do you know?

Answer: NOTHING

Please don't hate on a young guy that has just come out of college and is in his first TC.

What is wrong with you people?

The kid has potential.

You guys in this thread are terrible Redskin fans. Shame on you.

Dude... quit bashing people and making assumptions about people you dont even know. Its football for crying out loud. WHo are you? That Brittey chick.

Leave Colt alone!!!

chris-crocker.jpg

Where is a ban hammer when you need one?

I'm on record as predicting he'll be a bust. I'm also on record as hoping I'm wrong.

He's overcome some life mistakes and played very well in college last year but was exposed in Hawaii's Bowl Game. True, he didn't get a lot of time to throw but when he did, he was just OK. We hear talk about his accuracy and it will need to be pinpoint in the NFL to cover for an average arm. He didn't face a lot of quality competition in college so I'm sure his learning curve this year will be huge.

If he makes the team, I sure hope he never sees the field because there is no way he'll be anywhere close to being ready to play this year.

Still, I would love to see him succeed. It's just that I have my doubts.

Well a lot of the Colt-aid drinkers are throwing Campbell under the bus too.

Again, what is wrong with you folks?

I'm not saying at lot of the Colt fans want Jason to fail so Colt gets the chance to start. There was only the one that I saw yesterday who posted that Colt would start in 2 years. It's more of an implied message since one does effect the other.

I went through a hard reality check after Jason came to Wash. Being a fan, I thought because he had been SEC player of the year which is a tough conference, he would immediately come into the league and show everyone how to play quarterback. There are times he has looked good, things that happened on the field that wasn't his fault and times he's absolutely stunk.

I think it's wonderful that the whole state loves Colt and wants him to succeed. Personally, I think they are in for a harder reality fall than the one I took. I don't see Colt as being as NFL ready as Jason was. Mainly because of playing the shotgun and not having to drop back and pass. I have never read an interview where Jason made comments like the ones in Colt's blog. Colt said he knew where he was on the pedestal. How does someone who never played down in a real NFL game think they are even on a pedestal?

There's a difference between thinking someone will be a bust and hoping he will be a bust. There is no Redskins player ever that I hope will be a bust, but certainly we've drafted and signed a few players I thought would be busts.

As for Brennan, I'm concerned that he's a system QB. Hawaii QBs, like Timmy Chang, put up incredible numbers in college but then can't even make a pro roster. So, I think it's reasonable to be "skeptical" when it comes to Brennan.

Let's see what the kid has this preseason and then judge him based on performance and not uneducated opinions.

Hail,

H

Dude... quit bashing people and making assumptions about people you dont even know. Its football for crying out loud. WHo are you? That Brittey chick.

Leave Colt alone!!!

chris-crocker.jpg

Where is a ban hammer when you need one?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:I didn't even see that up above me, but that i sright where my thouughts went.:laugh:

Brennan's first game in September, 2005 with Hawaii against the University of Southern California. Sure, USC blew UH out. I was at the game, sitting in the 7th row. When the USC team came out on the field, it was obvious that they were huge, with defensive linemen all looking like 6'5" plus. Even the USC cheerleaders looked like they averaged over 6' tall.

UH was over matched, for sure.

Brennan didn't start, but he did come in. Brennan completed 21 of 32 passes for 250 yards, with one TD and one Int.

Brennan didn't start the next game either, but he started the third.

For the season...

He started 10 of 12 games. Brennan either tied or broke 11 UH offensive records in what was a wildly successful first season with the Warriors. Brennan led the country in total offense yards (4,455) and touchdowns thrown (35). His 4,301 yards passing is the eighth-most in Western Athletic Conference (WAC) history. Against New Mexico State (Oct. 15), Brennan posted career-high numbers in passing yards (515), touchdowns (7), and pass completions (38). He also had nine 300+ yard performances on the season, including four 400+ yard games and a 515-yard performance.

My only point is that he has high expectations for himself, and I am certain he is working hard to get ready. It is ok to lower expectations to cut down on the critics, but I am sure he expects a lot from himself. I expect a lot from him, having seen plenty of his game.

All this negative talk about his mechanics is lame, in my opinion. But, at this point, his critics will latch on to any negative they can get.

You won't break his Aloha spirit!

Brennan's first game in September, 2005 with Hawaii against the University of Southern California. Sure, USC blew UH out. I was at the game, sitting in the 7th row. When the USC team came out on the field, it was obvious that they were huge, with defensive linemen all looking like 6'5" plus. Even the USC cheerleaders looked like they averaged over 6' tall.

Brennan didn't start, but he did come in. Brennan completed 21 of 32 passes for 250 yards, with one TD and one Int.

For the season...

He started 10 of 12 games. Brennan either tied or broke 11 UH offensive records in what was a wildly successful first season with the Warriors. Brennan led the country in total offense yards (4,455) and touchdowns thrown (35). His 4,301 yards passing is the eighth-most in Western Athletic Conference (WAC) history. Against New Mexico State (Oct. 15), Brennan posted career-high numbers in passing yards (515), touchdowns (7), and pass completions (38). He also had nine 300+ yard performances on the season, including four 400+ yard games and a 515-yard performance.

My only point is that he has high expectations for himself, and I am certain he is working hard to get ready. It is ok to lower expectations to cut down on the critics, but I am sure he expects a lot from himself. I expect a lot from him, having seen plenty of his game.

All this negative talk about his mechanics is lame, in my opinion. But, at this point, his critics will latch on to any negative they can get.

Nor do I intend to. However, Jason is our QB right now. Lets see what he can do in this new offense.

Stats are meaningless. Like I stated before. The WAC is very weak. Timmy Chang set alot of those same records a few years before Colt. It means nothing. Point is...

Can you beat up a 4 year old kid?

Can you beat up a 4 year old Grizzly?

Point taken?

TW... stop with all the Hawaii nonsense. Colt would not have ever been to the UH if could have kept a low profile at his past school. You guys act like CB chose to come to Hawaii out of every onther college in America.

Colt is not a shoe in. He has a long way to go. Be hopeful... not arrogant.

I mention it because he got very mixed reviews at the combine. His ball speed was very slow when timeed, but he was also said to have thrown outs that had zip on them. So basically I'd like to see for myself how well he throws.

I cant imagine that they wont do something to his delivery. If he was 6'6 he might get away with it, but at 6'2 I see him hitting O-linemen in the back of the head. He's going to have to be stellar at finding lanes to throw in to have a chance with that motion.

Thats interesting that you found any report(s) on Brennan's ball speed given one had to dig deep just to find out that Brennan went 100% in the passing drills. In other words, the reporting was almost non-existent. Do you recall what his ball speed was and what it was for the others?

He's actually closer to 6'3 than 6'2 (every bit counts):laugh:. You could be right about hitting lineman in the back of head, but I still believe its much ado about nothing. We'll get an idea come Sunday.

I have never read an interview where Jason made comments like the ones in Colt's blog. Colt said he knew where he was on the pedestal. How does someone who never played down in a real NFL game think they are even on a pedestal?

Go back and read what he said again. He's saying that he's at the bottom of the totem poll. This kid is not about himself.

For the season...

Brennan has a great mindset. But lots have had that in the NFL and failed. I think people who feel we are bashing him are taking our stance wrong. Or at least mine.

All I am saying is he is a project. More often than not, projects bust. He needs to prove he was no a system QB in college and he has the mechanics and tools to succeed. Right now we don't know anything. Also please don't say well Tom Brady was a 6th rounder and look at him.

Why? Because he played at Michigan against top competition. That is the point none of you are getting. Colt did great in college, but against horrible competition. Lets see how he does this preseason and then you can be arrogrant about him, or you can just hide like many fans of his will if he completely sucks and is cut.

It is quite simply amazing the mentality on this forum. I have been reading it for years but sheeesh.....

Some people are just jerks and need to turn in their fan-card. Why are some so intent to throw this kid to the dogs?

JC has a chance to prove himself and move forward this year, but why in the world would some of you guys attack Colt? He is a Redskin!

Why would you attack me? Most of you have not even seen him play in a live game or take reps in TC.

You guys suck on Zorn's teet when he isn't proven and then ya bash our young draft pick for not being proven.

ESers make no sense sometimes.

It is quite simply amazing the mentality on this forum. I have been reading it for years but sheeesh.....

Some people are just jerks and need to turn in their fan-card. Why are some so intent to throw this kid to the dogs?

JC has a chance to prove himself and move forward this year, but why in the world would some of you guys attack Colt? He is a Redskin!

Why would you attack me? Most of you have not even seen him play in a live game or take reps in TC.

You guys suck on Zorn's teet when he isn't proven and then ya bash our young draft pick for not being proven.

Wow. You really neen to lighten up, Francis. The OP asked a question about skepticism regarding Colt and people answered. I don't remember seeing posts that said "I hate him and I think he sucks and has no chance"; most of the people posting were much more level headed than that. You do things like calling people out and telling them to "STFU" and then wonder why people aren't exactly cordial to you? Colt has potential, just like anyone, but he also has some major hurdles to overcome in order to stick around for a long time. Why does it make someone a "bad fan", etc if we point these things out? Again, the OP wanted to hear what the skeptics think and that is what he got. If you don't like the nature of the thread why continue to read it?

Wow. You really neen to lighten up, Francis. The OP asked a question about skepticism regarding Colt and people answered. I don't remember seeing posts that said "I hate him and I think he sucks and has no chance"; most of the people posting were much more level headed than that. You do things like calling people out and telling them to "STFU" and then wonder why people aren't exactly cordial to you? Colt has potential, just like anyone, but he also has some major hurdles to overcome in order to stick around for a long time. Why does it make someone a "bad fan", etc if we point these things out? Again, the OP wanted to hear what the skeptics think and that is what he got. If you don't like the nature of the thread why continue to read it?

The truth as been spoken.

:)

Look at it this way...A lof of skeptics have come forward and documented in writing why they feel the way they do (most of them). Maybe they know how to evaluate Brennan or maybe they just think they do, I don't know, but this thread will serve as a reminder (assuming they don't come back later to edit).

Yes, I did ask to hear from the skeptics, not haters, and for the most part, the level-headed skeptics did step up, thanks.

I think you read what you only want to hear.

Please show me a majority of posts saying Zorn will be a guarentueed good coach? Please show me a large amount of posts saying Campbell is guarentueed to be great and doesn't have anything to prove?

Do you always make things up without facts because your too lazy to find them? You offer no good insight to anything.

Bottom line, and SkinsNatsFan don't respond to me, I think the OP brought up a good topic for a good discussion.

I think most of us responded to him with good insight and what we want to see from him in the preseason. I just wish some Colt fans can at least listen and understand this instead of thinking we are bashing us.

I believe the OP is happy with the majority of the responses until SkinsNatsFan showed up.

Bottom line, and SkinsNatsFan don't respond to me, I think the OP brought up a good topic for a good discussion.

I think most of us responded to him with good insight and what we want to see from him in the preseason. I just wish some Colt fans can at least listen and understand this instead of thinking we are bashing us.

I believe the OP is happy with the majority of the responses until SkinsNatsFan showed up.

Yep, I got what I wanted out of this thread. Thanks everyone for taking the time.

What many aren't aware of, in regard to Colt is that he is probably the most heavily scrutinized QB coming out of college (at least in recent memory), so therein lies the intrigue of Colt Brennan. A polarizing topic of discussion, always.

Finding passing lanes in traffic was actually considered one of Colt's biggest strengths and considering when a team was going to play against Colt and the Run and Shoot at Hawaii, they threw every kind of coverage package known to man at them. I think

Colt has seen every type of base coverage there is. His learning curve will be to read those coverages with NFL speed. His balls were not batted down in college and everyone seems to forget that during his 3 years starting he faced alot of quality competition inside and outside the WAC conferance.

USC

Arizona State

Boise State

Fresno State

Washington

Oregon State

Purdue

Alabama

Georgia

All of these teams have quality D-Lineman and while they did get pressure on Brennan, they never batted the ball down. Ive followed this guys career with great interest since he was a sophmore at Hawaii and gave my Boise State team a scare. Ive seen him make every pass and what makes him special isn't so much his release but the RPM's and velocity he puts on the ball. He will occasionally float one but even they are still moving very fast for floaters.

His accuaracy will i think translate to the NFL as well. You have to remember that he was throwing to fast midgets at Hawaii and all 3 years that he started at Hawaii Colt's accuaracy was at 70% or higher. June jones said himself that during Brennan's Jr. season his receivers dropped 53 balls. imagine if most of those had been caught! that could have put him near an 80% accuarcy. I dont care if your doing that against air! much less D-1 football thats impressive! now imagine Brennan throwing not only to Moss and Randle-El but to big targets like 6'5 Thomas and 6'4 Kelly!

Some of the scouts questioned his armstrength but the problem is that people today judge armstrength by how far you throw it, not how fast the ball gets to its target which is far more important. I mean think about it really? how many times a game is a QB going to go downfield 65 yards on a pass play? 2-3 at the most. the rest of passing game is going to be those 10-20-30 yard intermediate stuff which any NFL QB can make and Brennan's intermediate game is his biggest passing strength. I think he's gonna be good once he gets past the learning curve. Will he get the shot with our Redskins? At this point maybe not but mark my words he wont be a career backup. For those of you havn't seen much film on him i'll post some hightlight vids.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eabNWCnHTOs&feature=related

Look at 1:57 to 2:02 on this one and you'll see he throw the the Bomb with a lot of velocity when needed

Thanks man for making a nice case for why so many people believe in Colt's natural ability to play this game. You're not from Hawaii, so perhaps you'll have more credibility with skeptics.

Go back and read what he said again. He's saying that he's at the bottom of the totem poll. This kid is not about himself.

No, you go back and read it. Here's the exact quote

"When I'm around those guys, I'm actually pretty quiet. I understand where I am on the pedestal." The Hawaiians have obviously put Colt high on a pedestal. But college stats don't mean squat in the NFL.

There's a lot of difference in a totem pole and a pedestal. He also said he thought he played pretty well several times. Posters here who were at the scrimmage didn't think so.

And he said that the one play that was gone over for a correction wasn't his fault.

He also mentions how popular he is so far as being interviewed. Confidence is great but there are several parts of the blog that come across to me as arrogant.

Some people are just jerks and need to turn in their fan-card. .

Some highlights. And you're doing a great job of proving your own point. Think about that for a moment or longer.

I don't think anyone brought this up before, but we all know Colt is from Hawaii. Because he's from Hawaii, he and the rest of his team has to travel AT LEAST around 2500 miles to get to California and that usually means the team misses 1 or 2 practices. If you notice in his last season as a Warrior, all he's mediocre game has been on the road (@ Idaho and @ San Jose). Now, you can say that it works both way in the sense that opponents have to travel more than 2500 miles to play us at home. But that's why EVERY single one of his home games, he puts up spectacular numbers.

I did my research and put together a schedule of the best opponents he played (I'm such a dork :laugh:)

Imagine playing this schedule and putting up these numbers:

Season opener: 2007 North Colorado team: 34-40 (85%) 416 yards, 6TD, 0INT W (only played in the first half)

2005 USC team: 21-32 (65.6%) 250 yards 1TD, 1INT (didn't start this game) L

2005 Boise State team: 29-51 (56.9%) 426 yards 4TD, 2INT L

2005 Fresno State team: 35-54 (64.8%) 327 yards 1TD, 2INT L

@2006 Alabama team: 30-44 (68.2%) 350 yards 2TD, 1INT L

@2006 Boise State team: 25-36 (69.4%) 388 yards 5TD, 1INT L

@2006 Fresno State team: 32-39 (82.1%) 409 yards 5TD, 0INT W

2006 Purdue team: 33-48 (68.8%) 434 yards 3TD, 1INT W

2006 Oregon State team: 37-50 (74%) 401 yards 2TD, 2INT L

2006 Arizona State team: 33-42 (78.6%) 559 yards 5TD, 1INT W

2007 Fresno State team: 28-39 (71.8%) 396 yards 2TD, 1INT W

2007 Boise State team: 40-53 (75.5%) 495 yards 5TD, 2INT W

2007 Washington team: 42-50 (84%) 442 yards, 5D, 0INT W

Bowl Game: 2007 Georgia team: 22-38 (57.9%) 169 yards 0TD, 3INT L

Cumulative: 442-616 (71.8%) 5462 yards 46TD, 17INT

The only conference games he played were against Boise and Fresno (the 2 strongest teams in the WAC). So can we put aside the whole "played in a weak conference" argument to rest?

Against these teams, he played great (except for Georgia) and is definitely NOT a system quarterback. A system quarterback in the RnS is suppose to throw a lot of INT, TDs, and yards, but have a low completion %. Colt had 72% accuracy against these teams. That's pretty darn good.

But now, I'm going to destroy all my work with a single sentence. Statistics in college does not matter. Just because you throw 70% in college does not mean you will automatically throw 70% in the NFL. These are just indicators that people use to justify their opinions why they think a player will succeed in fail in the NFL.

The reason why I'm a Colt-supporter is (other than the fact that I'm from Hawaii :D) is because Colt has ALWAYS been the underdog throughout his life. He puts up amazing numbers but analysts always debunk his skills by saying, "Oh he's just a system QB. If you throw that many times in a game, you're going to put up good numbers". THAT IS NOT TRUE. If you suck totally donkey balls and throw 50 times a game, you're still going to be completing very little of those passes.

The Sugar Bowl killed him, the injury hurt him, the Senior Bowl buried him, but the Redskins dug him out of the ground and said, "We're giving you a second chance". The people in Hawaii had a similar situation back when he was being transferred to UH. We had questions about his character (he was a convicted felon in Colorado) and we're not sure if we wanted him. 3 years later, the whole damn state adopted him as their son. That's why I'm a Redskins fan now, because the Redskins gave Colt a second chance kind of like how June Jones gave him a second chance.

Now he's using this opportunity to learn plays, make calls, and adjust to the speed. It's fact that every player from college needs to adjust to the NFL (with Matt Ryan being an apparent exception :doh:)

So anyway, that's my :2cents:.

PS

I'm a Jason Campbell fan and I hope he becomes a Pro-Bowl QB. To me, the best scenario is if Colt gets traded to the Colts and becomes the next Peyton Manning and Jason Campbell stays with the Redskins and become the next Sammy Baugh :D.

Archived