Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brennan skeptics: I want to hear from you!

modazfuk

I would say no happy feet and some control in the huddle-that's all I can ask of 6th rounders from a gimmick offense with a side arm throwing motion. That might sound bad, but I don't mean it as a slight, it is what it is. I can't have high expectations at this point.

This is what I wanted to find out. Expectations across the board appear to be low. Apparently the 6th round is what many focus on in which I don't agree with, but do understand.

I feel pretty confident that he will look really raw and rough out there...

maybe even confused and lost looking... he hasnt had enough time to learn the offense much less develop chemistry with any one of the WRs..

however, I am excited to watch and see though.... should be enough to keep the game exciting and give us all something to talk about...

No other player fell off the board as far as Colt did. He went from being the top junior QB on Kiper's list (2006) to the bottom of the 6th round. Even if I wasn't a Hawaii fan I'd still be ultra ingrigued to see if the scouts flat out got it wrong.

From what I've seen so far, I'll put a dime on the under for "suck" threads, regardless of how he plays. :)

I would love to take you up on the over 45.5 Colt Brennan "rah rah" threads and when you lose, see you pay up by wearing a "Colt Brennan makes me weak in the knees" sig, but it wouldn't be fair cuz there is nothing I can provide (on the off chance I lose) to give you nearly the same satisfaction I stand to receive:laugh:

Honestly, it isn't about stats to me. I want to see good decisions. I want to see him get rid of the ball quick, yet not forcing a pass. I want to see him throw a slant properly, not a spot throw.

But the most important, I want to see his sidearm succeed. If see even one ball batted down becaus of it, I think he needs to realize its time to change his delivery.

I would love to take you up on the over 45.5 Colt Brennan "rah rah" threads and when you lose, see you pay up by wearing a "Colt Brennan makes me weak in the knees" sig, but it wouldn't be fair cuz there is nothing I can provide (on the off chance I lose) to give you nearly the same satisfaction I stand to receive:laugh:

Well, that was downright creepy.

No other player fell off the board as far as Colt did. He went from being the top junior QB on Kiper's list (2006) to the bottom of the 6th round. Even if I wasn't a Hawaii fan I'd still be ultra ingrigued to see if the scouts flat out got it wrong.

Honestly, what makes you think he will succeed? I am not saying he will or won't.

I have just seen too many QBs with that side arm release fail. Also, if this was still a Saunders system, I would give him a better chance to succeed since he is a spot thrower. He is not a WCO QB. At least from the little I have seen him play. Yes I am admitting that I have not see enough from him. But from what I saw, he seems more like a Saunders/Martz type of system QB than a WCO QB.

There will 2 thinkings come sunday.

He plays great, and people suggest hes GOD, or its just preseason against 3rd stringers.

There is a no win for this audience on ES.

He plays aweful, and people suggests he sucks, or its just preseason game 1 and hes coming off injury.

Personally, there is a reason why they had to run a gimmick offense and they got murdered by Georgia and didnt play how Boise did against Okla

Honestly, it isn't about stats to me. I want to see good decisions. I want to see him get rid of the ball quick, yet not forcing a pass. I want to see him throw a slant properly, not a spot throw.

But the most important, I want to see his sidearm succeed. If see even one ball batted down becaus of it, I think he needs to realize its time to change his delivery.

The delivery is half of what I'm looking at. The other half is "does he have the arm strength"? If he goes out and shows he can throw the deep out with zip on the ball, and makes good decisions he'll show me enough that he has enough to work with.

His delivery needs alot of changes though, but that wont happen in 1 week.

Yep, points well taken except for the "even one ball batted down". Things like that happen, even to Campbell. Now if its a recurring pattern, then that obviously is cause for concern.

Curious to see how he does. Hope he does well. One of the biggest battles this preseason is going to be between Brennan and Devine for the number 3 gig.

You got that right...I've not read much of anything on Devine, but I gotta believe he's not there because Zorn planned all along to put him on the practice squad.

Honestly, what makes you think he will succeed? I am not saying he will or won't.

I have just seen too many QBs with that side arm release fail. Also, if this was still a Saunders system, I would give him a better chance to succeed since he is a spot thrower. He is not a WCO QB. At least from the little I have seen him play. Yes I am admitting that I have not see enough from him. But from what I saw, he seems more like a Saunders/Martz type of system QB than a WCO QB.

I don't think I've said anywhere in this thread that Colt will succeed (I could be wrong on that), but I will say that his accuracy and quick release (two things nobody disputes) gives him a good shot at impressing enough to make the roster. The great unknown (as with all rookie QBs) is how well will his decision making be.

I'd be terrified for Brennan if he were in Martz's offense. It could potentially be Sugar Bowl part 2 (left hung out to dry).

There will 2 thinkings come sunday.

He plays great, and people suggest hes GOD, or its just preseason against 3rd stringers.

There is a no win for this audience on ES.

He plays aweful, and people suggests he sucks, or its just preseason game 1 and hes coming off injury.

Personally, there is a reason why they had to run a gimmick offense and they got murdered by Georgia and didnt play how Boise did against Okla

Yep, you're another making good points.

I'd like to think the ES'ers around here (for the most part) are an honest bunch and thus will call it the way they see it rather than spin it to suit some pre-conceived belief.

After this season you're going to wish Jason Campbell came out of Hawaii not Colt Brennan

Not sure what you mean, but I agree, I think Jason breaks out running the WCO.

The delivery is half of what I'm looking at. The other half is "does he have the arm strength"? If he goes out and shows he can throw the deep out with zip on the ball, and makes good decisions he'll show me enough that he has enough to work with.

His delivery needs alot of changes though, but that wont happen in 1 week.

I'm not sure if its relevent to arm strength in game conditions, but at the college skills challenge, Brennan tossed it 62 yards (same as Booty). Ryan 65 yards, Henne 68 yards and Flacco 72 yards. Keep in mind he did this while injured and at 185 lbs. Anyways, the point is if throwing distance is a meaningful way of judging arm strength for game conditions, his arm may not be as weak as some think.

We'll just have to wait to see if the delivery is a problem. If he's able to throw with accuracy without a pattern of bat downs, then I suspect Zorn will leave it alone.

Anyone think that JC and co. could have some short drives against the colt 1st team D? I can honestly see JC and TC taking up pretty much the first 3 quarters and us to see Colt and Devine with one meaningless (3 handoffs) drive each.

My hopes though is we get 1 quarter and hopefully 2 drives from each QB. I think TC has the least hype here cause we know what he can and cannot do. Everyone seems to see what JC and CB will do so I hope they get the most reps.

Hell, CB could throw 4 INTs on sunday but we all know that is one of the things viewers will be watching for. Give them what they want!

(side note...i joined April 2008 and this is my first post!)

After the 2 a-days and decent amount of work this whole team has put in. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of anything. This game will be a basic scrimmage as to where the skins try to get a feel of a new offense and a new head coach to get a feel of playing calls.

With saying that I believe we will be very conservative (especially on offense). We don't want any more injuries, we just need to go through the motions and get something to build on.

The skins are a veteran team, yet they still need to get back into the speed of the game and adjust to a new coaching style that has yet to be determined.

Hell, CB could throw 4 INTs on sunday but we all know that is one of the things viewers will be watching for. Give them what they want!

No way Colt gets a free pass from Redskin Nation should he throw 4 INTs.

Flacco threw 4 INTs yesterday, during camp, and after reading their boards, many still want him to start over Troy Smith. Money talks!

... batted down and/or tipped passes... it wasn't a problem in college...

playing San Jose St, Utah and Wyoming is much different than playing Dallas, New York and Pittsburgh. I'm not a hater. Just a skeptic. Skeptic because he was a 6th round QB and a passer in a HS offense in a conference that's been known for high scores and passing yards in its history. If he can at least look solid I'll feel better. Now if people expect him to bump JC as the starter then I am an unapologetic skeptic. Thinking he's going to be our starter is nuts at this point. FYI, I don't care who starts for our team as long as we win. I'm a Skins fan, first and foremost. If Colt somehow beomes the starter and we win it all I'll be just as happy as when we won it with Joe, Doug and Ryp

Anyone think that JC and co. could have some short drives against the colt 1st team D? I can honestly see JC and TC taking up pretty much the first 3 quarters and us to see Colt and Devine with one meaningless (3 handoffs) drive each.

My hopes though is we get 1 quarter and hopefully 2 drives from each QB. I think TC has the least hype here cause we know what he can and cannot do. Everyone seems to see what JC and CB will do so I hope they get the most reps.

This isn't a Spurrier coached team anymore. JC won't be out there that long. In fact it might possibly be the opposite. TC, CB and Devine will probably be doing most of the work. Zorn's going to want to see how the others stand and expect to see CB and Devine do alot of second half work. Collins is pretty much a lock so he'll be letting the other two get out there and prove they deserve a roster spot.

Im excited and intrigued to watch him in the preseason, but Jason Campbell is the future of this team.

Here's this kid whom is trashed like no other with an unorthodox throwing motion yet he seems to be able to get it out quick and on target. Can he do this against NFL talent (even backups)? Intriguing? I'd say so:D

After the 2 a-days and decent amount of work this whole team has put in. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of anything. This game will be a basic scrimmage as to where the skins try to get a feel of a new offense and a new head coach to get a feel of playing calls.

With saying that I believe we will be very conservative (especially on offense). We don't want any more injuries, we just need to go through the motions and get something to build on.

The skins are a veteran team, yet they still need to get back into the speed of the game and adjust to a new coaching style that has yet to be determined.

I've not paid too much attention to player personnel during pre-season games. Is it understood between both teams to take it easy and just go through the motions in an effort to avoid injuries?

I've not paid too much attention to player personnel during pre-season games. Is it understood between both teams to take it easy and just go through the motions in an effort to avoid injuries?

Not really an understanding between the two teams. It's mostly protecting your own players. Campbell will see a little more playing time near the end of preseason, but the HOF game he'll maybe be out there for a few drives. No Portis and then he may see a few series' later in the preseason.

Preseason is a perfect time to evaluate your depth chart below your starters and determine which fring players make the team.

playing San Jose St, Utah and Wyoming is much different than playing Dallas, New York and Pittsburgh. I'm not a hater. Just a skeptic. Skeptic because he was a 6th round QB and a passer in a HS offense in a conference that's been known for high scores and passing yards in its history. If he can at least look solid I'll feel better. Now if people expect him to bump JC as the starter then I am an unapologetic skeptic. Thinking he's going to be our starter is nuts at this point. FYI, I don't care who starts for our team as long as we win. I'm a Skins fan, first and foremost. If Colt somehow beomes the starter and we win it all I'll be just as happy as when we won it with Joe, Doug and Ryp

We're talking about Colt potentially having a problem with getting the ball over the line. What I'm saying is that players in college are not materially shorter than players in the NFL. 6'2 to 6'4 in college looks to be the norm. NFL is what? 6'3 to 6'5?

And no, contrarary to popular belief, I've not seen anyone whom is rooting for Brennan to make the team make ridiculous statements such as Brennan should be the starter anytime soon. The ones saying that are trolls whose sole objective is to make people dislike Brennan and Hawaiians even more than they already do.

Not really an understanding between the two teams. It's mostly protecting your own players. Campbell will see a little more playing time near the end of preseason, but the HOF game he'll maybe be out there for a few drives. No Portis and then he may see a few series' later in the preseason.

Preseason is a perfect time to evaluate your depth chart below your starters and determine which fring players make the team.

Based on what you're describing, we should then get some good looks at Brennan and Devine since Zorn will opt to preserve Campbell and Collins.

We're talking about Colt potentially having a problem with getting the ball over the line. What I'm saying is that players in college are not materially shorter than players in the NFL. 6'2 to 6'4 in college looks to be the norm. NFL is what? 6'3 to 6'5?

And no, contrarary to popular belief, I've not seen anyone whom is rooting for Brennan to make the team make ridiculous statements such as Brennan should be the starter anytime soon. The ones saying that are trolls whose sole objective is to make people dislike Brennan and Hawaiians even more than they already do.

the biggest difference is the speed of the game from college to the pros. If NFLers are 1-2" taller than college players and there's less time to throw passes which could mean a difference in how one throws the ball.

I'll say it again. I don't have anything against him. He's another draft pick to me. He's just been very heavily covered in threads here which is a mystery to me.

Based on what you're describing, we should then get some good looks at Brennan and Devine since Zorn will opt to preserve Campbell and Collins.

Yup. These guys will probably have the second half to themselves(maybe more). Zorn will want to see these guys running regular plays in his regular offense to fully evaluate them so they will be getting their share of pass attempts. I just wish Sunday would get here. :)

Archived