Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things I've come to learn about Maryland

georgiaredskin

I was at the local Home Depot last week and a guy was helping me with picking out sealer for my garage floor.

I said... "You're from Baltimore, aren't you"

He looked shocked. Like I was a witch or something. "How did you know?????"

People from Baltimore have perhaps the most distinct accent in the country.

What most people think of as a NY accent... really exists from Connecticut to Jersey. What people think of a Southern accent exists all over the south.

But Baltimore accents only exist in Baltimore. Nowhere else.

"Hold on while I answer the phuuuuune" LOL

6. There is an accent here. I used to think that Philly, New York, real yankees like that only had them. But Balt'mer's accent is one of a kind.

7. NFL football rules the area. In the South, college football is the king. They don't have any good NFL team around, so their gods are colleges-sporting them on their cars, playing games on the radios in grocery stores with decorations there, etc. Here it's big time, only, baby. Big city-big team. :helmet: You rarely see people running around in college attire, mostly NFL.

Was there every any doubt about the accents in the "urheah"? Now eat your "hot duug" and be quiet. :silly:

As for the college football thing, that's one thing about the south that's just sad. Even places with NFL teams like Atlanta and Nawlins seem to care more about college ball than the NFL. Especially when college ball doesn't even have a real championship game to look forward to. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Amen to that! I pray every day I get on the highway to go to work. Another reason I miss the slow South.

Thanks, Jason. The first 2 on the list had been on my mind a long time, especially #1. I thought, dang, these cheesesteaks are so good. Why do they say Philly has the best ones?!!

The "slow" south? :wtf: I have to drive 80-85mph just to not get run off the road down here. Though outside of Atlanta and off the highway, it is often a different story.

As for the cheesesteaks, I don't know why they named the cheesesteak after that atrocity of a city. They make it with Cheese Wiz for God's sake. :doh: GACK!!! :puke: The DC area knows what a cheesesteak sammich is supposed to be. :cheers:

Most of the stuff outside of friends and family that I miss about living in the DC area are the simple things...

Utz chips-NOTHING else even comes close.

7-eleven- best bargain coffee ever, though Dunkin Donuts is a reasonable substitute....but do they have Slurpees? :no:

Ooo, ooo, Jerry's! Some of the best cheapie subs/pizza ever.

Half smokes-self explanatory.

The literally perfect view of the DC skyline you'd get for just a few seconds coming up the Anacostia Freeway.

Being the only people in the country to call people "Shawtie"....now it's been exported all over the place. :mad:

Seeing the great graffitti on the Red line.

The "M" on campus at my alma mater....Go Terps!!

Oddly enough, I even miss the throngs of tourists that used to annoy me so much. Maybe it's the realization that now I'm one of "them" whenever I go back.

I like Atlanta OK, but nothing will ever beat the "urhea".

Georgia,

If you ever go to Harford Road, you should visit Canellas, IMO they make the best Italian CC in Baltimore.

Awesome. But what is CC? Chicken Cacciatore?

Blue crabs = Blue state. What's so hard to figure out. Blue = liberal. Crab = state of being. We're a bunch of crabby libs.

I'm telling you! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

15. The simple pleasure of taking White's Ferry across the Potomac and then biking along the C&O Canal path with the kids.

Great one! Love the C & O. Been fishing there several times with my brothers. For crappy. We call it crappy like "I"m going to take a CRAP", but some call it the British pronunciation, "croppy". :laugh:

Even places with NFL teams like Atlanta and Nawlins seem to care more about college ball than the NFL. Especially when college ball doesn't even have a real championship game to look forward to. Go figure. :rolleyes:

The "slow" south? :wtf: I have to drive 80-85mph just to not get run off the road down here. Though outside of Atlanta and off the highway, it is often a different story.

As for the cheesesteaks, I don't know why they named the cheesesteak after that atrocity of a city. They make it with Cheese Wiz for God's sake. :doh: GACK!!! :puke: The DC area knows what a cheesesteak sammich is supposed to be. :cheers:

7-eleven- best bargain coffee ever, though Dunkin Donuts is a reasonable substitute....but do they have Slurpees? :no:

Ooo, ooo, Jerry's! Some of the best cheapie subs/pizza ever.

All of your points, excellent. It is sad re: NFL vs college football down in the south. I'm like, whatever. The Skins are playing! Hence my handle. They were all like, "Who are the Redskins? They're the team from Maine, right?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah you're talking Hwy, but even still they just seem to be better drivers down there/more respectful: I know there are some crazies/scardie cats in Atlanta on that Hwy but the rest of I-85 and 75 are not as psycho drivers as up here IMO. I LOVE the speed on the highways down there. I'm talking the other roads, the other areas. Just not as hectic or rushed. People seem to drink less coffee, have less poles stuck up their butts. :) Put it this way, I basically only curse on the road or at football games (or if my cat turns off the computer when I'm working), and I curse a lot more on these roads.

E GADS!!! CHEESE WIZ :puke: NO JOKE that's nasty!

7-Eleven rocks.

HOW COULD I FORGET JERRY'S!!!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! Thank you SO much for posting that. When I moved back I was so stoked they have them up here. Unfortunately we don't have one RIGHT near us (30 min. away) now but at least it's "in the area".

Having been back for 3 years after being away since 1991 (college, then living in Georgia for over 8 years), there are some interesting things I've come to learn and appreciate (and some not to appreciate) about my home state, that I didn't as a driven, school & swimming-obsessed youngin'. I'll add some more if I think of them, and feel free to add some yourselves.

1. You can find a darn good cheesesteak at pretty much any sub/pizza place around here, and even at the mall.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

All of Eastern Pennslyvania and all of New Jersey would like to have a word with you...

As for the pumping your own gas thing - I agree that I would like to be able to pump my own, but it does have two advantages:

1. Somehow they still have some of the cheapest gas in the US in South Jersey.

2. It does help create a lot of jobs for unskilled people. :)

VA drivers are nothing to write home about.

I can't tell you how many times I was ready to shoot someone, who's in the left lane of a 2-lane road (ex. 64) going the exact same speed as the car to its right. For many, many, many miles. :doh:

Maryland blue crabs are awesome, I had some a few weeks ago at a place called Mike's near Edgewater.

VA drivers are nothing to write home about.

I can't tell you how many times I was ready to shoot someone, who's in the left lane of a 2-lane road (ex. 64) going the exact same speed as the car to its right. For many, many, many miles. :doh:

You still drive 64....:laugh:

I took a trip to Hampton on Friday and came back on Saturday....301 south to 17 south....

Some really good views on that route without any traffic...:notworthy

You still drive 64....:laugh:

I took a trip to Hampton on Friday and came back on Saturday....301 south to 17 south....

Some really good views on that route without any traffic...:notworthy

It's been a while since I've taken 64. I used to have to travel between Norfolk, Richmond, Charlottesville, Blacksburg a lot for work.

I tried the 301/17 thing once from Ocean City MD to Norfolk, it took a while because of the traffic lights. I remember lots of signs for fireworks and pork.

8. Maryland drivers are terrible.

And most of the bad MD drivers used to live in VA, the reason they live in MD now is because of the high ass cost of living in VA (comparatively) I know because i lived in NOVA for 32 years. At least most of the MD drivers know how to speak english and dont have green cards! :rolleyes:

16. You can do everything from snow skiing at Wisp in the winter to water skiing the Patuxent River or soaking up the sun in Ocean City in the summer. You can jog or bike down the C&O towpath enjoying nature on a Saturday and go to Baltimore or Annapolis on Sunday for something a little more "citified". That's why they call it America in Miniature.

17. Where else can you watch one of the Triple Crown races while eating a crab cake sandwich washed down with a Black-Eyed Susan or a Natty Boh? That's culture and class right there.

What are you talking about, the bay is alive and well, the problem is, it is over crabbed or underfished depending on who you talk to.

I love how people outside the area talk about something they know nothing about. Not trying to be rude, but there are tons of great spots to swim, fish, boat, watch wildlife, etc etc.

Our family has owned a home in southern md. 1 block from the bay since 1972 (where you born yet? :rolleyes: ). I've spent several weeks a year there for the last 5 years working on the house, reading the local newspapers and talking to the locals about it. Hagerstown is real close to the bay isn't it :doh:.

Here's an article for you. You may not want to eat anything out of the bay for while.

Pollution Rising In Tributaries of Bay, Data Show

Scientists Cite Suburbs' Growth As a Likely Cause of Backslide

By David A. Fahrenthold

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 5, 2007; Page B01

The massive government effort to clean up the Chesapeake Bay is not just falling short of its goals. Now the bay's pollution might actually be taking a turn for the worse.

New federal research indicates that pollution has crept up in some of the Chesapeake's biggest tributaries this decade, after a slow decline during the 1980s and 1990s. In the Potomac, the Patuxent and other major rivers, the pollutants on the rise include those blamed for low-oxygen "dead zones."

16. You can do everything from snow skiing at Wisp in the winter to water skiing the Patuxent River or soaking up the sun in Ocean City in the summer. You can jog or bike down the C&O towpath enjoying nature on a Saturday and go to Baltimore or Annapolis on Sunday for something a little more "citified". That's why they call it America in Miniature.

17. Where else can you watch one of the Triple Crown races while eating a crab cake sandwich washed down with a Black-Eyed Susan or a Natty Boh? That's culture and class right there.

Very eloquently put. :cool: And what is this "Natty Boh" you Bal'merians and the like speak of?

All of Eastern Pennslyvania and all of New Jersey would like to have a word with you...

Tell them to pick up their cheez wiz and bring it on. :laugh:

google is my friend yah. Have you had one, rince?

btw.......Maryland Hwys and cities are much easier to drive on/in than NJs. ANY highway is much easier to drive on than New Jerseys. :laugh:

Those jughandles drove us batty and got us lost the whole time.

Tell them to pick up their cheez wiz and bring it on. :laugh:

google is my friend yah. Have you had one, rince?

btw.......Maryland Hwys and cities are much easier to drive on/in than NJs. ANY highway is much easier to drive on than New Jerseys. :laugh:

Those jughandles drove us batty and got us lost the whole time.

Of course I've had a few. Not very good beer, but damn cheap. :chug:

Archived