Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer on Tryon

JMUGator19

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/justin-tryon?id=2321#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/65727.html

I am getting a little tired of this Jason Taylor thing, especially since I am fairly sure his professionalism and expertise will let him do his thing to be as successful as possible.

I would much rather speculate about... Justin Tryon.

With Carlos coming back by the first few weeks, the Redskins have 3 great people at CB, Shawn, Smoot and Carlos. Ofcourse, the FO knew they couldnt gamble on all of their health and Carlos returning to full form, and drafted someone who they expect could be a great nickleback.

But if you read that NFL article or know anything about Tryon, you would realize that he is a very fluid CB who's strength is Press Coverage.

Then I thought back to look at Shawn Springs. He also is great at Press Coverage with fluid hips. He also has trouble with the run game at times (injuries).

Then I thought to look at Carlos Rodgers. He is definetely a good press corner who has trouble dragging down the rusher.

Finally Smoot. He was the exception. He is definetely a cover corner, he also needed to put on weight when he started playing in the NFL. (dont worry, he thinks hes the best press coverage corner there is, no doubt)

So time to talk about our collection of CBs and their individual skill sets. Honestly, I do not see Smoot doing well in a press coverage scheme, I also see him being pressed into the starting lineup at some time in the season.

Tryon, I think has potential to be a starter but needs to bulk up for the pain in this game. But his weaknesses are the most forgivable kind.

A corners purpose is to beat the WR and if he messes up, to have the fluidity to keep up and recover. THEN he is responsible for the run game.

If Tryon continues to be able to press WRs that are 6-2 and up... He will end up a starter in this football league.

:logo:

Are you forgetting about Torrence. Torrence played great last year and according to the coaches he has improved and has solidified that number 3 spot while Rogers is out. Tryon is still a little rough around the edges and I hope he pans out and progress', but Torrence has the slot on lock.

rogers is a solid tackler

springs is very good tackler for a corner,don't know where you get "trouble with rungame at times part". He has been injury prone at time,but most of his injuries aren't from pounding in the run game.

Smoot shouldn't be a solid tackler because of his lack of size,but he is. Smoot has mastered the shoestring tackle to get bigger RB's down and save his body.

Disagree with your assesment of Smoot. His strength is man coverage - he struggled with the Vikings in zone scheme.

Also it is almost certain Smoot will start with Springs just about all year subject to injuries. Even if Rogers gets back on the field for the start of the season he will be brought along slowly and it will likley be next yera before he is 100% again.

Tyron is competing for the nickle spot and is probably the #4 corner behind Leigh Torrance assuming you discount Rogers at this point.

Tyron will see some action in preseason and will make the final roster. I wonder if westbrook is worried about his roster spot since Torrence will make nickel CB other noteables: Holt and Richardson. I guess it was a good idea to keep springs at CB instead of moving him to FS.

Are you forgetting about Torrence. Torrence played great last year and according to the coaches he has improved and has solidified that number 3 spot while Rogers is out. Tryon is still a little rough around the edges and I hope he pans out and progress', but Torrence has the slot on lock.

Yeah I heard this as well.

Tryon is the #4/#5 CB right now while 'Los is still injured. Torrence is progressing, and is our #3 until 'Los gets back.

Yeah I heard this as well.

Tryon is the #4/#5 CB right now while 'Los is still injured. Torrence is progressing, and is our #3 until 'Los gets back.

or unless Tryon beats out Torrence for the #3 job.

still a long ways to go til week 1

I like all of our cornerbacks. I really hope that Westbrook makes the team and does something this season. Being a fellow Salisbury student, I'm really hoping he makes it. The team should also give Westbrook some more reps at return duties. At SU, he was a force and many teams neglected to kick to him.

As far as tryon, I hope his game is as big as his mouth.

Tryon is short. That's my only gripe about him. I haven't personally seen him play more than once or twice, and he didn't stand out to me then. But I do hear good things about him. He does look like a physical corner, and I'm all about physical corner play--IF the team has players that can do it. Because if you don't do it well, you're gonna get burned.

Tryon is the future of the team as well as Torrence. Both of these guys will be on the teambecause they will be needed sometime during the season. Springs doesn't have a lot more playing time left and we will need a replacement for years to come. That is where Tryon and Torrence will come in. Defensive philosophy and schemes will dictate what type of players you draft, trade for, or acquire during Free Agency. Players that are successful at one place may not be successful at another. Greg Blatche may have a similar philosophy as Gregg Williams but not exactly the same. Gregg Williams has complex and a thinking scheme where Greg Blatche has a more simple scheme that requires players to react and not think too much. So these two will be worth watching for sure.

Everything that I have read about J.T. is encouraging. He is actually one of the players I am most excited about seeing in pre-season. It can never hurt to have too many good young corners on your squad . . . Torrence definitely is . . . and I hope that Tryon can develop into something special.

I think it's going to be Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Tryon and Westbrook as our 5 CB's.

Given the rave reviews from most sources, and the fact that he played a decent amount as the nickel CB last year, why Westbrook over Torrence?

Springs, Smoot, Rogers (or Rogers, Smoot depending on Carlos' health) Tryon, Torrence - then Landry/Doughty, Schweigert, Moore.

I'm going to go our on a limb here - top-to bottom, this might be the best secondary we've had post-Champ.

And, to make things even easier for them, getting Jason Taylor suddenly makes our defensive line a whole lot more intimidating to QBs.

The new offense will have some kinks to work out, no doubt. I think that the defense will be just fine.

I'm sure someone has told you by now, but Rogers and Springs are great run supporting DB's. In fact, that's been one of their strengths in the past couple of years. Injuries for Springs are not a concern at this point. He played in every game last year. You can't say a guy has injury problems when he played 17 games last year. '05 and '06 are behind us. Smoot played awesome against the run last year and out in flats, so I'm not sure you're on the up and up as of late. Tryon is young and Torrence is likely to start in his place as the 4th DB because he's faster than Tryon and has more experience. We'll see once Tryon gets more reps in preseason. Tryon is small but could prove to be a great Nickel guy in the future. :2cents:

HTTR

HTTR

Archived