Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Phillip Daniels vs. Jason Taylor

ucfSKINS

I don't think anyone's arguing that Phil Daniels is a better defensive end than Jason Taylor. The difference is that the Redskins owned Daniels, and had to pay for Taylor. What's a reasonable cost for a 1-year rental of a player of Taylor's caliber? Is it a 2nd and a 6th round draft pick? The Skins lost their 35-year old starter on the first day of camp and had no one they felt could step in to replace him.

Considering the circumstances, this was a good move. Considering the circumstances.

The thing I will miss most about Daniels are the batted balls. He seemed to bat balls down in every game. Hopefully JT can do so and get to the QB a little more often.. Defense is definitely better with both JT and AC in there, that is for sure

Keep in mind that JT not only batted balls down, he intercepted them as well and took one to the house last year.

My only concern is stopping the run. PD, while not a great pass rusher, was a great run stuffer.

I'm sure they will rotate Evans in, and hopefully keep everyone fresh for the long haul, but I hope we don't give up more in the running game.

I do believe, too, that the length of time JT stays here is solely based upon us making the playoffs and possibly winning a game or two.

:2cents:

Looks like a push in terms of performance. However, I firmly believe the JT will have plenty of sacks here. Even if he just gets pure pressure on the QB that is WAY more than what we've had here for awhile. Andre Carter AND JT are going to have really good years. I just hope that we are able to keep up our ability to stop the rush.

Anyone know how does JT play against the run??

Pretty well actually.

Daniels is a great redskin leader, I wish him the best and hopefully he can be healthly next year. But im very excited that jason is now a skin. The skins odveously have a better pash rush, wich means we will be getting more sacks this year. I can't wait to see Romo sits to pee and Eli getting knocked around more and put on there backs, it will defenetly make me smile anyway.

Go Skins

No comparison really. Shocker. Question is, can he play the LE spot and really help out in run support. People are going to run AT him not try to get around him, so we'll see. I'm of the belief that Taylor is a versatile guy and can help stuff the run, but some believe that he hasn't kept his weight up and has lost a few lbs. That can get turned around within a 6 week span though. That's all it takes for these guys to put on mass if they're not eating up all of the fuel on hot summer days :paranoid: We'll see what he looks like in the preseason. We'll know by then what he's going to be like in this system. He can cover Backs and TE's for the most part too in certain packages b/c of his quickness, so he's going to be moved around out there, I know that. Offenses will have to account for him on every down, and that instantly makes Griff and Carter's job, as well as young Montgomery's job too, a lot easier. Looking forward to seeing him in action.

HTTR

Taylor is an underrated run stopper. What he lacks in size, he makes up for with good technique and speed. He has a motor, which is what you want an undersized DE to have chasing down ball carriers.

I think JT will be good against the run, since we depend on the LBs to stop the RBs anyways. He's definitely an upgrade at pass rushing. Plus I think he has atleast 2 more good years left, while this could have been PD last year.

Before the injury, I don't think I would have agreed with you. But now, the injury may have ended his career. Its too bad, because he had worked so hard this offseason and by reports he was in great shape.

I'm not too worried about run defense because our starting DTs are solid and our Linebackers are smart and quick. A defense I hope we begin to look like is the Colts' D; the Colts have two undersized starting DEs in Freeney and Mathis and, granted, their run defense last year (15th) was significantly worse than ours (4th) their DBs definitely benefit from a solid pass rush that helped them to having the 2nd best pass defense last year.

Another bonus: once (or if) Erasmus James is healthy we'll have a fairly decent stockpile DEs that would give us the ability to employ some specialty pass rush sets without leaving our Blache simplified packages. If we use 4 DEs (or even a mix of DEs and LBs since Washington is a good rusher) like the Giants did at times... Jason Taylor, Andre Carter, Erasmus James and Chris Clemons on a critical 3rd down... that's a good bit of speed and ability going after a QB. I'm hoping for good things.

Another bonus: once (or if) Erasmus James is healthy we'll have a fairly decent stockpile DEs that would give us the ability to employ some specialty pass rush sets without leaving our Blache simplified packages. If we use 4 DEs (or even a mix of DEs and LBs since Washington is a good rusher) like the Giants did at times... Jason Taylor, Andre Carter, Erasmus James and Chris Clemons on a critical 3rd down... that's a good bit of speed and ability going after a QB. I'm hoping for good things.

I believe you mean Wilson, Clemons has been gone for quite a few years, and is actually currently signed with Philly coming off an 8 sack season with Oakland.

Other than that I agree with what you're saying. New York definitely had the edge on us as far as DL goes (Strahan/Osi/Tuck > Carter/Taylor/Wilson) they didn't have much coming from their LB. Washington and Landry are both probably better blitzers than anyone in NY. It will be interesting to see the things we can do with sending Washington on a blitz and dropping Taylor into coverage, or sending the house with Carter/Monty/Wilson/Taylor all on the field at the same time.

I'm excited about what Taylor brings to the table, but wish I could expect him to be a Skin a little longer than his current contract.

Archived