Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Continue Negotiations With Davis

Oldskool

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=36646

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

July 18, 2008

With training camp starting on Sunday, the Redskins continue to negotiate with unsigned rookie tight end Fred Davis.

Team officials are hopeful to have a deal in place so that Davis does not miss any time in training camp.

Even though Davis is unsigned, he has been at Redskins Park this week working out as part of the team's strength and conditioning program.

Rookie draft picks are permitted to work out at the team's facility without a contract.

Davis was the second of three Redskins' second-round picks in last April's NFL Draft. He was taken with the 48th overall selection in the draft.

During OTAs in mid-June, Davis was optimistic that he would be signed by the start of training camp.

"I want to be here [on time]," he said. "You lose a lot by missing a day. Just being in OTAs, and how much they put in with all of the packages, you can fall behind. So I'm going to try to be here."

Davis, 6-3 and 247 pounds, was the 2007 recipient of the John Mackey Award as college football's top tight end.

He became the first tight end since 1985 to lead USC in receptions with 62 catches. Davis also holds the school career receptions record for tight ends with 117 catches. He also had 1,408 receiving yards.

His 13 career touchdown catches established a new USC record for tight ends.

Davis is the only rookie draft pick left not to have signed with the club yet.

In June, head coach Jim Zorn stressed the importance of getting draft picks signed before the start of training camp.

"It is important to us, but really it is important to them to not lose a day [of practice]," Zorn said. "In recent history, and even in past history, the rookies who sit out and haggle over dollars have a very difficult time participating that first year in the regular season."

Rookie wide receiver Devin Thomas, the Redskins' top pick in the draft, signed with the team on Friday.

"I hope we can get everyone in on time," Thomas said. "This is a strong rookie class. I hope we're all out there together on the field on Sunday."

We'll probably get him in on time but it's an odd year. With the CBA expiring (which has slowed signings) and starting a week earlier due to the hall of fame game it's a bit more of a challenge.

But with two days to go and no one else to worry about it'll get done.

Why are we treating second round, back up tight ends like gods...either sign or dont...just make him a fair offer...if he holds out, thats on him

I agree with this. I'd really like to know the sticking point. I am sure he wanted to at least wait until Thomas signed to see that they could guage his contract accordingly. But if he is not in camp on time then don't sweat it. Do we really think he will make that much of a difference that we couldn't go on w/out him?

Why are we treating second round, back up tight ends like gods...either sign or dont...just make him a fair offer...if he holds out, thats on him
davis is the least important piece of the rookies.

Not only is Davis a backup to Cooley but Zorn has also said that there will be 2 TE sets in the offense. So Cooley and Davis will see action together this year.

So in reality, there is no "least important piece of the rookies". They all need to be signed and in camp on time to learn this offense and be a contributor this year.

Not only is Davis a backup to Cooley but Zorn has also said that there will be 2 TE sets in the offense. So Cooley and Davis will see action together this year.

So in reality, there is no "least important piece of the rookies". They all need to be signed and in camp on time to learn this offense and be a contributor this year.

In a perfect world, everybody would be in camp, but The Skins should not bend to this guy....something about Fred Davis makes me feel uneasy.

In a perfect world, everybody would be in camp, but The Skins should not bend to this guy....something about Fred Davis makes me feel uneasy.

Especially when the Skins have Yoder. While not a superstar, he is a great blocker, and made everyone say, "who," during the second Giants game.

I've never understood rookie holdouts. They're already signing multimillion-dollar deals. What's a few extra bucks here or there? I'd be more concerned with being at practice to maybe break into the starting team and thereby earn a bigger paycheck.

I've never understood rookie holdouts. They're already signing multimillion-dollar deals. What's a few extra bucks here or there? I'd be more concerned with being at practice to maybe break into the starting team and thereby earn a bigger paycheck.

there's more to a contract than the final financial figures. the money is obviously the most important part, but alot of contracts get hung up on the length of the deal and option years.

your rookie contract is the probably most important one you'll sign. injuries happen at the drop of a dime in the NFL, their rookie contracts may be the only ones they get to have some advantage in.

i'm confident they'll get a deal done

there's more to a contract than the final financial figures. the money is obviously the most important part, but alot of contracts get hung up on the length of the deal and option years.

your rookie contract is the probably most important one you'll sign. injuries happen at the drop of a dime in the NFL, their rookie contracts may be the only ones they get to have some advantage in.

i'm confident they'll get a deal done

Blah blah blah. Second round picks sign four-year deals, so they're not arguing over length. I can all but guarantee you the hangup is guaranteed money--of which he deserves very little, as he has not yet done anything to earn the money.

And don't try to sell me that line about needing guaranteed money because of the possibility of injury. Even if the guy blows out a knee and never plays a down in the NFL, he graduated from USC, so he's in pretty good shape. God forbid he should have to enter the workforce and get a real job like the rest of us.

I have no doubt the Redskins won't have Davis signed by Sunday. At least he seems to be working hard and not missing anything. Although I never put much stock into the whole sleeping in issue, it still lingers in the back of my mind and hope this kid takes everything seriously.

I think that this wil be a non-issue after tomorrow...after our rookies who were drafted right before him and after him were signed, I am sure that the paramaters are clearly there.

I also think that he will be a big contributor in our offense this year, especially in the red-zone

Blah blah blah. Second round picks sign four-year deals, so they're not arguing over length. I can all but guarantee you the hangup is guaranteed money--of which he deserves very little, as he has not yet done anything to earn the money.

And don't try to sell me that line about needing guaranteed money because of the possibility of injury. Even if the guy blows out a knee and never plays a down in the NFL, he graduated from USC, so he's in pretty good shape. God forbid he should have to enter the workforce and get a real job like the rest of us.

You'll understand a little better when you get out of college and make less than other people around you who've been there just as long as you. I remember I used to feel the same way. I couldn't believe that T.O. was upset about how much he was making when he was at Philly. It's all relative to what everybody around you makes. I was underpaid by about $10,000 for my field for a while, and I went looking until I got my pay day. The job I got wasn't greedy or anything. I just wanted to be paid what I was worth. Again, that's all relative to what everybody around you makes. That's probably all Davis wants, too.

Archived