Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.C. named No. 1 on list of 'Best Towns in America'

China

D.C. named No. 1 on list of 'Best Towns in America'

9, 2008 - 10:35am

WASHINGTON - D.C tops the list of Outside Magazine's "20 Best Towns in America."

"D.C. is one of the greatest cities in the world, especially in the United States when it comes to being a city that is extremely rich in culture and has made a lot of smart changes in recent years toward greater sustainability, using its own best assets, instead of ignoring them," says Jeremy Spencer, Outside's senior editor.

Spencer says D.C. and other places on the list "are riding the wave of civic intervention and fresh ideas" and are the "stars of America's 21st century renaissance."

The cities on the list "have turned things around for themselves" and have become "community-centric place to live," Spencer says.

Click on the link for the full article

Well this does come from a magazine I've never heard of.

However, while I wouldn't vote DC #1, it does have alot to offer. Just think of all the free museums and sights, Great Falls, Mount Vernon and, well, it is the home of the Washington Redskins.

Well this does come from a magazine I've never heard of.

However, while I wouldn't vote DC #1, it does have alot to offer. Just think of all the free museums and sights, Great Falls, Mount Vernon and, well, it is the home of the Washington Redskins.

Ding Ding Ding

Suburbs of DC are excellent places to live, especially McLean, Great Falls, Vienna etc.

And Loudoun is beautiful.

not one mention of San Diego, San Fran, Miami, but somehow DC gets number one?

And you cant judge DC by its surrounding cities. That is the surrounding cities that are good then and NOT DC itself.

and AMEN buenos!! VA Bammas dont know whats up!!!

no way. can you walk to whole foods, night clubs, movie theaters, restaurants, art galleries, museums, etc in the burbs?

I have a food market, a movie theatre, and a bunch of restaraunts within 1.5 miles. its only that far out because I am as deep into our neighborhood as it goes. so basically walk a mile to get out of the neighborhood, cross the highway, and i'm in a big ol' shopping center.

is there bad traffic around DC metro? Does that affect your quality of life?

During rush hour absolutely.

But NOVA is crowded because its a great place to live.

#1 Public High School in the nation (TJ), one of the top school systems in the county (Fairfax County), proximity to DC, lots of big business HQs in Reston/Herndon, some of the highest per-capita income in the country in Fairfax County, Fairfax City, Loudoun, Alexandria and Arlington plus hiking/biking trails nearby...

Archived