Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jesse Helms has passed away.

ECU-ALUM

kennedy has spent a lifetime in servitude for people and so far as i know never took stands against races and sexual orientation and such personal matters to the extent that helms has......

kennedy is currently suffering HIS karma....... just as helms is burning the **** up right now.....

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Tell that to Mary Jo.

If you think the Kennedy's give a **** about anything other than their legacy, I don't know what else to say.

What is the proper way to acknowledge an unrepetant bigot?
This country was founded by bigots OMFG! Did you know George Washington owned slaves?! He had slaves! I propose we rename "Washington DC" to "Lincoln DC".

The point is, he came from a different time and we are now because we see exactly what is wrong with that view point. Do you think Helms could get elected in any states of the country anymore? Do you want to ignore that our country was made up of a bunch of unrepentant bigots? How do you know they were repentant but didn't want to give people the public satisfaction of crowing in their face? Maybe my grandfathers and greatgrandfathers were bigots, I don't know... but if they were do you think that has passed down to me? I don't get the point of bashing someone when they must've been held by his constituents on some level...

You act like this guy ran the lynchmob... he spoke out against things he didn't like... so what if his views were different than mine... did he murder anyone? Some of his comments are off the wall crazy like what he said about UNC... so what...

This country was founded by bigots OMFG! Did you know George Washington owned slaves?! He had slaves! I propose we rename "Washington DC" to "Lincoln DC".

I think we need to always acknowledge who our founders were and what they believed.

The point is, he came from a different time and we are now because we see exactly what is wrong with that view point. Do you think Helms could get elected in any states of the country anymore?

If he had chosen to run, he would still be in the Senate today. So, um, yea.

Do you want to ignore that our country was made up of a bunch of unrepentant bigots? How do you know they were repentant but didn't want to give people the public satisfaction of crowing in their face?

I think a lot of the country is still made up of unrepetent bigots. Doesn't mean I have to praise them.

Maybe my grandfathers and greatgrandfathers were bigots, I don't know... but if they were do you think that has passed down to me? I don't get the point of bashing someone when they must've been held by his constituents on some level...

Oh, I blame the people of NC for pushing this guy on us.

You act like this guy ran the lynchmob

In the 60s, he more or less advocating lynching civil rights workers and such.

... he spoke out against things he didn't like... so what if his views were different than mine... did he murder anyone?

I firmly believe that some people are dead because of Jesse Helms. In the 50s and 60s, you didn't need to pull the trigger to kill people. All you had to do was fire up the local rednecks.

And let's not get started on his views on AIDS.

Some of his comments are off the wall crazy like what he said about UNC... so what...

He was a senator in this decade. You act like he retired 35 years ago.

People can say what they want about Ted Kennedy.

I still want someone to tell me the proper way to ackowledge a man who spent 50 years publicly villifying nigras' date=' faggots, liberals and other communists. What should I say?[/quote']

Rest In Peace?

Clearly he wasn't a peaceful dude, rather he seemed to be full of hate. Peace is what he needs...and maybe he can find it now.

I still want someone to tell me the proper way to ackowledge a man who spent 50 years publicly villifying nigras' date=' faggots, liberals and other communists. What should I say?[/quote']

With the exception of the "nigras" topic I'd suggest adding him as the fifth face on Mount Rushmore if I had my way.

Oh, and before we throw too many stones on the "nigras" issue, let me remind people that anyone in my age group (30+) probably has grandparents whose views on the black community aren't or weren't much different than Senator Helms'. No matter where you grew up in this country.

Call him an American that represents the change that has occurred in the 50 years of this country. 50 years ago I'm sure a majority of white Americans would agree with Helms. Now, I'd be that number is, I dunno.... 20%... and even I think 20% is too high... but I think I already wrote this a number of times... you could also call him an a-hole of the highest degree as well...

With the exception of the "nigras" topic I'd suggest adding him as the fifth face on Mount Rushmore if I had my way.

Oh, and before we throw too many stones on the "nigras" issue, let me remind people that anyone in my age group (30+) probably has grandparents whose views on the black community aren't or weren't much different than Senator Helms'. No matter where you grew up in this country.

And there were people in the 40s and 50s who recognized the humanity of blacks. I'm tired of "Oh, that's just the way things were there" defense.

If your grandparents were bigots, they were wrong.

Call him an American that represents the change that has occurred in the 50 years of this country. 50 years ago I'm sure a majority of white Americans would agree with Helms. Now, I'd be that number is, I dunno.... 20%... and even I think 20% is too high... but I think I already wrote this a number of times... you could also call him an a-hole of the highest degree as well...

He was in the Senate in 2000!!! He is not some relic from the past.

And there were people in the 40s and 50s who recognized the humanity of blacks. I'm tired of "Oh' date=' that's just the way things were there" defense.

If your grandparents were bigots, they were wrong.[/quote']

Yes my grandparents were bigots. I never even realized it until I was in high school; but at that point it hit me like a ton of bricks that those were the general beliefs of white folks (even in New England) who had been born in the teens and 1920's.

YES, some of us WILL be rejoicing when Senator Kennedy punches his ticket to Hell; just as some are rejoicing right now with the passing of Senator Helms.

I think Kennedy committed manslaughter in 1970.

I think Helms was a unrepentent bigot for 50 years of public life.

Your mileage may vary on what is worse.

For the Catholics out there, is one mortal sin worse than a lifetime of venial sins?

People can say what they want about Ted Kennedy.

I still want someone to tell me the proper way to ackowledge a man who spent 50 years publicly villifying nigras' date=' faggots, liberals and other communists. What should I say?

I highlighted this point because it seems to be a fruedian slip. So are u admitting liberals are commies??

You do not acknowledge the man but you don't bask in his death either. While Helms views are for the most part repulsive he never killed anyone. We can't say the same for ol "serving the public" Kennedy.

He was in the Senate in 2000!!! He is not some relic from the past.
Government and political parties are always the slowest to change... where are the 30-year old Senators? (Oh wait, there is one and he's running for President and has a good chance of winning!)

He won his re-election by the slimmest of margins, in fact he won all of his elections by the slimmest of margins, and I think there are probably 5 states he could get elected in.

No' date=' so far as I'm concerned (regardless of what the law says), Edward Kennedy committed the act of MURDER in 1970. He got into a motor vehicle while drunk and killed a woman. That's MURDER in my mind and always will be.

Lkb, I've been an unrepentent bigot for over 30 years myself, so I'm going to stand with Senator Helms on that one. The foci of our bigotry may vary slightly but I can see where he was coming from on most of it.

Yep. And those attitudes should be regarded as a giant blot on our history.

That's your opinion. I will agree with you on the racial bigotry issue, but on the sexual and political bigotry issues I will stand with Senator Helms every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I highlighted this point because it seems to be a fruedian slip. So are u admitting liberals are commies??

You do not acknowledge the man but you don't bask in his death either. While Helms views are for the most part repulsive he never killed anyone. We can't say the same for ol "serving the public" Kennedy.

Ted Kennedy is another issue. I already said what I feel about him. People can say whatever they want about Chappaquidick. I will never defend it.

And I think saying that Helms never "killed" anyone is the height of naivete. He might not have ever pulled a trigger. But he pushed for a world where black people lived in fear of their lives and queers simply died for their perceived sins.

No, so far as I'm concerned (regardless of what the law says), Edward Kennedy committed the act of MURDER in 1970. He got into a motor vehicle while drunk and killed a woman. That's MURDER in my mind and always will be.

I'm not going to defend Kennedy.

Lkb, I've been an unrepentent bigot for over 30 years myself, so I'm going to stand with Senator Helms on that one. The foci of our bigotry may vary slightly but I can see where he was coming from on most of it.

You have every right to believe that faggots should die for their sins. That doesn't make you God.

Helms saw his role in the Senate as that of a vengeful God.

For the Catholics out there' date=' is one mortal sin worse than a lifetime of venial sins?[/quote']

my point exactly!!

Yes my grandparents were bigots. I never even realized it until I was in high school; but at that point it hit me like a ton of bricks that those were the general beliefs of white folks (even in New England) who had been born in the teens and 1920's.

SOME white folks. More, than many would like to believe, less than others would like to believe.

Living in Boston/Hartford, certainly there is racism, and it is sad more than anything.

Archived