Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens/Redskins- Is there really a rivalry?

Walking Deadman

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd vote somewhere between A and B. It's nowhere near the rivalry we have with our divisional foes, but I definitely get more satisfaction out of beating the Ravens than I do out of beating some random team like the Raiders or Bengals.

Well said.

I support the Ravens and Redskins since I am loyal to my area/state. I am more loyal to the Redskins though as I grew up with them and my family has a tradition of supporting the Redskins, so HTTR!

I met one Raven fan in school who told me pretty much what I hear a lot from Steelers fans, "Redskins suck"...Yeah umm ok that was pretty informative. My friend in hagerstown is a very nice Ravens fan who also supports the skins and loved Sean Taylor. So I am so-so with their fans so far.

I never really minded Baltimore when the Colts were there. But once the Browns split on Cleveland to become the carpet-bagging ravens I hate Baltimore. I see them as Washington's neer-do-well cousin. Last week the DJs on the 98 Rock morning show were kvetching about the Redskins. Seems to me that they have a serious inferiority complex.

I don't know, the Ravens (as a team) are ok with me. Don't necessarily like most of the fans. Most of them seem to be quite ignorant of anything outside of B-more. Alot of the hatred between the Ravens vs. Redskins has mostly been towards the Redskins. I think there is a jealousy from Raven fans because of the rich history of the Redskins and the 3 superbowls. Plus the Washington area is a far superior attractive area than Baltimore. Therefore, i believe there is an inferiority complex that comes into play. For me personally, as a baltimore native, I love both cities, and since i love the Skins (and have alot of college friends from DC and NOVA), when ever i go there i feel right at home, thank you very much.

I guess my hatered started when, they( baltimoran) bi&*ced and whined about how they lost there team(Colts) Then You Steal the Browns from Cleveland, And the NFL trying to force them down our throats every sunday does not help.

On page 2 of the Post Sports section today they printed a post from their Nationals Journal blog asking about the "Nats-Os" rivalry and the post pretty much said there wasn't one because the two teams don't play in the same division. I think this is a good point. However, if it could ever be arranged that we play the Ravens once per year (instead of every four), then you might see an intensification and perhaps budding of a rivarly. Maybe this talk of a 17th regular season game will revolve around games between teams within the same region.

From what I've noticed, the people of Baltimore hate being "overshadowed" by Washington, D.C. and it seems to carry over. Fans of the Ravens seem to hate the Redskins and view it as a big rivalry while Redskins fans on the other hand, don't seem to(not that I've seen).

There has never been a football rivalry between Washington and Baltimore. Not when the Colts were here and not since the Ravens arrived from Cleveland.

Players and coaches from both sides have said it in the past. NO RIVALRY.

The Redskins rivalries are in the NFC East.

I lived in Baltimore during the late 80s, early 90s, and experienced this for myself:

Baltimorians don't like Washington. they don't care much for Philly either, but Washing really bothers them.

A few times, when I told someone there I was originally from DC, I got attitude changes (towards me), people would give me funny looks, and one girl actually asked me what the hell I was doing living in there!

One Sunday, after a really great Skins game, the local news (Channel 2) lead the sports report thusly:

"We going to lead off the the Redskins game, not because we like the Redskins, but because it was a heck of a game. Actually, I don't like the skins at all, but because this was such a good game, we have to lead off with it..."

Working in Baltimore, there seems to be. There are still some Ravens fans that like the Redskins, typically live places like Columbia that are split. But most really just don't like the Redskins. For some reason there is animosity. I really don't like the Ravens at all.
I have actualy had Ravens and Colt fans tell me the Skins were the reason the Colts left Baltimore. Man dont blame us cause your team snuck out of town on you guys in the middle of the night :laugh:

The time I began to hate the Ravens was when someone asked me "Ew, you live in Maryland. Why are you a Redskins fan and not a Ravens fan?"

Answer: Because I've liked football my whole life, not since 2000 when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. Only a very small percentage of Ravens fans today were actually Colts fans back in the day. Meaning most of them just jumped on the bandwagon when they won the big game, at least IMO.

...which is funny because, if you're in College Park, you're a couple miles drive down Route 1 and you're in DC.

Also, I cannot STAND it when people refer to Baltimore teams as "local". We're two completely different cities with two completely different identies. Baltimore is Baltimore and Washington is Washington!

*Rant off*

I don't see your argument. By your logic, myself and many others on this board would be Baltimore fans. I consider Washington a local team to the Baltimore area, so it can work both ways. Just because they're local doesn't mean you have to like them. I don't like the Ravens. The only Baltimore team I root for is the Orioles. Everything else is DC. Baltimore should just be part of the DC metro area because of distance, and the size of DC.

When both teams are doing well, there is more of a fan rivalry. But team rivalry isn't really there. It can't be as the two only play each other once every 4 years in the regular season. Given the friendly atmosphere of the preseason scrimmages, I'd say it is more of a "they are a sparring partner" thing like the poll option suggests.

I don't see your argument. By your logic, myself and many others on this board would be Baltimore fans. I consider Washington a local team to the Baltimore area, so it can work both ways. Just because they're local doesn't mean you have to like them. I don't like the Ravens. The only Baltimore team I root for is the Orioles. Everything else is DC. Baltimore should just be part of the DC metro area because of distance, and the size of DC.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly.

agreed!

Archived