Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ravens/Redskins- Is there really a rivalry?

Walking Deadman

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

With the Ravens and the Skins in the finals for Mascot over at CBSsportsline,

I thought I'd bring up the question (with a poll)- Is there really a rivalry btw. the Ravens and the Redskins in a "Battle of the Beltway" :rolleyes: showdown?

For the last few years we've played the Ravens one way or the other every season (either Regular season 2004, 2008, Preseason or scrimmage). For the most part it's smart to play each other in the pre-season and scrimmage b/c it saves on travel time and both fan bases can easily get to the games to watch the teams play. In a sense it's almost like we're sparring partners.

Obviously, the two teams are in different conferences, so usually what we do and what Baltimore does doesn't matter to the other team.

Yet, there is animosity btw the fans of the two teams that goes back further than some remember. Mainly, Ravens fans still like to bring up that they feel JKC and the Redskins supposedly kept Baltimore from getting a NFL franchise

after the Colts left (I have heard this plenty of times). And Redskins fans get annoyed by the attitudes of Raven fanbase (especially after they won their SB). Plus, playing in the same state creates a mild rivalry.

So what do you think?

Lame topic, sure. But what else is there to ***** about football wise for the next 18-19 days.

Working in Baltimore, there seems to be. There are still some Ravens fans that like the Redskins, typically live places like Columbia that are split. But most really just don't like the Redskins. For some reason there is animosity. I really don't like the Ravens at all.

I've always felt this sense of deep resentment towards Baltimore by Washington natives (especially those who've been in the city for a long time) and vice versa. I've never been too terribly fond of Baltimore, personally (no offense) so, yes, I think there is a bit of a rivalry; though not so much in the context of football.

I live in Baltimore, and I have found a good number of skins fans down here, but also have found that there is a contingent with an almost burning hatred for the skins. When I grew up there was no NFL team in Baltimore so Washington became and stayed my team. In general the people here in Baltimore are similar to philly folks - they pretty much hate everything, even their own team a good portion of the time.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that the smaller city (Baltimore) has a greater stake in this being a rivalry than the larger one (DC). That's just my guess based on what I've seen in other sports rivalries (Yankees/Red Sox comes right to mind, as does Philly/NYC).

the funny thing is in Baltimore, they really do think there's a Ravens-Redskins rivalry.

the fact is there isn't.

Redskins fans care about the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants, in that order (you can arguably swap NY and Philly, for personal bias). The Ravens mean no more to us than the Tennessee Titans. Just another team.

but for whatever reason, they feel like they are locked in constant battle with us. meanwhile we don't even notice.

it makes their hysterics aimed at us all the more entertaining. they're like yappy little dogs that nip at our ankles while we're trying to take care of more important things.

The Ravens mean no more to us than the Tennessee Titans. Just another team.

I disagree. Besides being geographic rivals, I resent that many Ravens fans are ex-Skins fans. Also, I never liked Art Modell, Brian Billick, Ray Lewis, Tony Siragusa... most of the high-profile people associated with that franchise. And to top it off, I know a lot of Baltimorons who are pretty annoying in their fanhood.

for a pro rivalry to have legs, imo, there has to be a history of games with significance.. we've yet to play them in a significant situation to my knowledge...

I'd say not a rivalry, but bragging rights instead...

Well, I can't stand Ravens fans. Can't say the same about the actual Ravens though. I had no problem with them when they first came to Baltimore. That ended in 2000 when they're fans suddenly became total a--holes.

However, the Ravens also have a few players I respect very much, not the least of which is Ray Lewis. They've also had two players from my high school on their roster: Jermaine Lewis and currently Jared Gaither.

As far as the whole rivalry thing goes, I just don't think a rivalry can develop when teams only meet once every 4 years.

The correct answer is yes and no.

If you are a Colts fan, prior to their departure to Indianapolis, you absolutely hate all things Washington; particularly the Washington Redskins.

After Ersay sneaked the team out of Baltimore, a lot of kids growing up only had the Redskins to watch each Sunday. Needless to say, there is a generation of Redskin fans here in Baltimore.

Even with the return of football to Baltimore, there are many Raven fans who still pull for the Redskins. It's kind of like when Washington didn't have baseball for so many years. A lot of Washingtonians became Oriole fans. We still hear it today at FedEx field when singing the national anthem.(I wish we would stop it; it's a Baltimore Oriole thing...not D.C.).

No rivalry on our part. Baltimore has always felt like they're the Red Headed Stepchild to Washington's Favorite Son (sorry if any of you are a red-headed stepchild).

In my experience, people from B-more either hate everything Washington or are completing dismissive of everything Washington.

IMO, the rivalry means much more to them than to us.

Didn't the Ravens whine a few years ago about Redskins fans and how we yelled obsenities at the Ravens bus when it came into FedEx. I think it was a preseason game. Then they were complaining about the announcer hyping us up on 3rd down, not that we actually need help or urging to be loud. For some reason I've never liked the Ravens maybe its the purple uniforms.

The time I began to hate the Ravens was when someone asked me "Ew, you live in Maryland. Why are you a Redskins fan and not a Ravens fan?"

Answer: Because I've liked football my whole life, not since 2000 when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. Only a very small percentage of Ravens fans today were actually Colts fans back in the day. Meaning most of them just jumped on the bandwagon when they won the big game, at least IMO.

My rivalry is moreso with the fans rather than the team.. Living north of Baltimore and having to deal with them and their no knowledge of football makes me want to kill myself
I know a lot of Baltimorons who are pretty annoying in their fanhood.

Take a look around this site. Certainly not traits restricted to fans of one team in particular.

There seems to be when I talk with Raven fans, but overall, not really. I mean, can there really be a rivalry between teams that only play each other every 4 years? No. The only rivalry is the comparison between teams because we are sister cities. Nothing will touch our rivalries with the NFC East, or even Tampa Bay, who we seem to play every cot damned year (in their house).

Didn't the Ravens whine a few years ago about Redskins fans and how we yelled obsenities at the Ravens bus when it came into FedEx. I think it was a preseason game. Then they were complaining about the announcer hyping us up on 3rd down, not that we actually need help or urging to be loud. For some reason I've never liked the Ravens maybe its the purple uniforms.

You should have around in the ye 'ole days when The Baltimore Colt fans beat up the Redskin Marching Band at Memorial Stadium.

Archived