Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

There is ZERO chance Derrick Frost is our Punter this year...

The guy was AWFUL in critical times last year... Shanks galore...

Danny Smith went out of his way to watch Durant Brooks and basically gave his left testi' to draft him in the 6th round... I don't care... You don't draft a guy who punts in the 6th round and then release him during camp... No way. The guy is AT LEAST good enough to kill Frost in any legit punting comp. Even if it's close do you think the Redskins would ever release Durant Brooks, the best college punter I've EVER seen, to keep Frost? I guess they have to do the comp. because the guy should have the chance to retain his job. Does anybody actually think he will though?

Durant Brooks should provide great swing in the field position battle this season and maybe can be a top 10 punter already... He's that good... Too bad the kicking game is so overlooked...

I feel like you're exactly right. Brooks will be our punter his season.

Zero chance? While Frost is on the roster, he always has a chance, if at the bare minimum that Brooks could get hurt. Also, while Brooks has been capable in college, if he can't demonstrate consistency, he might not make the team as well.

Frost is the incumbent, and the team isn't showing a strong desire to replace Frost by bringing in additional competition. The job isn't going to be handed to Brooks. That being said, there is a lot of room for improvement at the punting position.

Jason

If Durant Brooks isn't the punter - I'll rip off Vinny Cerrato's leg and beat Derrick Frost to death with it.

I would rather you ripped off Derrick Frost's leg and beat Cerrato to death with it. You know just in case the death part is pre-empted, at least we would know that Frost isn't shanking it for us anymore.

Zero chance? While Frost is on the roster, he always has a chance, if at the bare minimum that Brooks could get hurt. Also, while Brooks has been capable in college, if he can't demonstrate consistency, he might not make the team as well.

Frost is the incumbent, and the team isn't showing a strong desire to replace Frost by bringing in additional competition. The job isn't going to be handed to Brooks. That being said, there is a lot of room for improvement at the punting position.

Jason

Yea, Frosty's name is still on the roster for now and thus his 5% chance still exists, as someone stated above. Thats about it though.

I would never propagate the need for change just for the SAKE of change(ie...Obama), but this incumbency crap is just that, crap. I'm not picking on you for saying it Longshot, because many fans feel the same way. I am just pissed that there will be a chance we might loose Brooks to some sort of half-assed 'competition' put fourth by Frost.

We know what we have already in Frost, a mediocre punter. Why would we expect a sudden change in him this year? Because we drafted Brooks and now his job is in jeopardy, and so he puts in a hellish amount of training into becomming a better punter in the offseason in order to beat out said competition? Well, if he can actually pull off such an improvement in one offseason, why in the heck did he not do it sooner, and for different motivation, like for the team?

I am at a dilemma here. I am rooting for Brooks because I see so much potential in him. To me, thats a good thing. But I find myself rooting against Frost because I see any of his potential gains as being motivated by something other than team.

Brooks can't really do worse for us than Frost has done in the past but he could be great. As far as Frost is concerned, IMO I don't ever think he will be great.

Hail

I think a lot of us are rooting for Brooks, but the guy still need to earn the job. Frost is solid and has become consistent. That shouldn't be underrated. You need to depend on the guy to get you out of your end on a consistent basis. Brooks needs to prove that he can do that.

Jason

If Frost had been consistent you might have a case there. But Frost was very inconsistent himself, and seemingly always at the worst times. Brooks's leg would have to end up bine worst that Frosts' leg for him to realistically not make the team, and that is definately not the case. The only thing Frost has on Brooks is that he'll tackle people.

Jason

Jason, this is a very inaccurate statement. "Not showing a strong desire to replace Frost"?! Are you kidding me?!

We actually used a DRAFT PICK on a Punter. No one drafts a Punter. That pretty much says "our Punter sucks".

Jason, this is a very inaccurate statement. "Not showing a strong desire to replace Frost"?! Are you kidding me?!

We actually used a DRAFT PICK on a Punter. No one drafts a Punter. That pretty much says "our Punter sucks".

No one does?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?position=Punters&type=position

It looks like every year someone drafts a punter. The last time a punter wasn't drafted was 10 years ago.

Also, I wouldn't call drafting a guy in the 6th round a "strong desire" to replace Frost.

Jason

Brooks could be a game-changing punter. Or he could simply turn in a steady performance. That remains to be seen. Regardless, either scenario represents an improvement over Frost. Frost's biggest asset is his role in tackling on special teams. Frankly, it's nice, but the kicking is what we hire a punter for.

Frost could go on to be a pro bowl punter for the next 10+ years. Brooks could never make an NFL roster. As I pointed out earlier BJ Sander was an even better prospect and never made it.

I don't really care who wins the competition as long as it is the BEST player. A lot of people forget that Frosty is our holder on field goals. I know a lot of guys can hold but consistency there is important.

I realize it's the offseason, but we're arguing about who our punter should be, when 99.9% of us have never seen Brooks punt outside of a highlight reel. Let's see how he adjusts to the NFL, THEN argue about who is better.

How many times did we see Frost field the ball on the 45-50 yardline only to punt it into the endzone? A high 30 yard punt would atleast get our guys down there to cover or even down it if it bounces our way... that guy UGH :doh: ... I have never seen him angle one out of bounds except for the SHANKS.... :doh: :doh: :doh:

Well, for what it's worth, last year Frost had the second most punts downed by his own team in the NFL, so it would seem that he did produce at kicking punts that our own guys could cover. Frost also had 23 punts downed inside the 20 yard line, and 7 punts get kicked into the end zone.

Frost is by no means great, or even very good, really...he's average. But he also is not the horrendous punter many fans are making him out to be. I'm glad the Skins took a chance and drafted Brooks...

Frost could go on to be a pro bowl punter for the next 10+ years. Brooks could never make an NFL roster. As I pointed out earlier BJ Sander was an even better prospect and never made it.

I don't really care who wins the competition as long as it is the BEST player. A lot of people forget that Frosty is our holder on field goals. I know a lot of guys can hold but consistency there is important.

I realize it's the offseason, but we're arguing about who our punter should be, when 99.9% of us have never seen Brooks punt outside of a highlight reel. Let's see how he adjusts to the NFL, THEN argue about who is better.

Exactly...and we shouldn't overlook the holding on fieldgoals aspect, either. If Frost is cut and whoever replaces him pulls a Tony Romo sits to pee and fumbles the snap, I can't imagine the ****ing that would take place on this board, a lot of it by people who would probably be cheering Frost being replaced.

I picked Brooks for the "overrated player" thread (although I really don't have an overrated player, but had to chose someone lol) precisely because 98% of the ravings about Brooks is due to seeing him kick a 76 yard punt on YouTube. I hope Brooks ends up being a punting demon, but not because "Frost sucks!". I hope all our new players end up being phenomenal, not just him...

Wow, your sarcasm is sickening. You could've stated that a little nicer. Go Durant Brooks.

Well, I could counter by saying your naivete is sickening lol...

It's somewhat naive to say that you can't think of any reason for keeping Frost on during training camp if you've drafted a punter.

It's also somewhat naive to think that the Skins knew all along that they were gonna draft Brooks in the 6th round, considering they had no idea if Brooks would even still be on the board at that point. Imagine letting Frost go in the HOPES of being able to draft Brooks, but having some other team draft him 5 spots earlier.

Lastly, it's somewhat naive to think that Daniel Snyder, of all people, would shy away from spending what little he did on Frost for one more year out of fear that he may very well be cut. The same Daniel Snyder who paid 5 million to Archuletta and 9 million to Coles, just for the pleasure of getting rid of both.

For the record, if you find my sarcasm "sickening", message boards might not be the best place to hang out lol ;)...sarcasm is a tool of the trade on the interwebs. And mine was rather mild.

Well, I could counter by saying your naivete is sickening lol...

It's somewhat naive to say that you can't think of any reason for keeping Frost on during training camp if you've drafted a punter.

It's also somewhat naive to think that the Skins knew all along that they were gonna draft Brooks in the 6th round, considering they had no idea if Brooks would even still be on the board at that point. Imagine letting Frost go in the HOPES of being able to draft Brooks, but having some other team draft him 5 spots earlier.

Lastly, it's somewhat naive to think that Daniel Snyder, of all people, would shy away from spending what little he did on Frost for one more year out of fear that he may very well be cut. The same Daniel Snyder who paid 5 million to Archuletta and 9 million to Coles, just for the pleasure of getting rid of both.

For the record, if you find my sarcasm "sickening", message boards might not be the best place to hang out lol ;)...sarcasm is a tool of the trade on the interwebs. And mine was rather mild.

Okay, you got me. It was wise to re-sign Frost. I'm just saying, you could've said, "They re-signed Frost in case Brooks doesn't work out" and I would've been like "oh yeah good point." Instead you decided to be mean. And that makes me :( .

Archived