Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskins Ever Thread

elkabong82

So the past few days I've mostly been seeing "What if so and so doesn't pan out", who was the worst ever, etc. threads. So I felt like maybe with a good offseason going on around us that it would be nice to focus on some positive aspects of the Skins.

So, go through a starting roster and list your best Skins ever at each position. Feel free to put in any justfications, or not. I just figured this would be a good way to focus on great Skins players of today and the past, instead of having the offseason bore so many into cynicism.

QB: Sammy Baugh

RB: John Riggins

FB: Larry Centers

TE: Chris Cooley

WR: Art Monk

LT: Chris Samuels

LG: Russ Grimm

C: Jeff Bostic

RG: Mark May

RT: Joe Jacoby

DT: Dave Butz

DE: Charles Mann

MLB: Sam Huff

OLB: Chris Hanburger

CB: Darrell Green

S: Sean Taylor

K: Mark Moseley

P: Sammy Baugh

R: Brian Mitchell

LS: The Red Snapper

Best Redskin has to be #28

Awesome sig!

There was already a thread about the greatest Redskins player ever.

It leaned towards the same guy you say, Green. However, my money, and a lot of others, is on Sammy Baugh. He revolutionized the game. I'm proud to say both were Redskins.

Not a bad list, Elkabong. A couple comments.

If I remember correctly, Jake and Grimm played on the left side.

Charley Harraway is a candidate for fullback. He was a great lead blocker for Larry Brown, and not a bad runner in his own right.

In time Cooley may well earn the slot at tight end. But he hasn't passed Jerry Smith yet.

No slight to Sean Taylor, but Ken Houston was a Hall of Fame safety for the Redskins. Paul Krause was another all-time great. Sean's career was, tragically, too short to leapfrog those two Redskins greats, IMO.

Len Hauss gets an edge at the center spot over Bostic. He played EVERY game his entire career, made 192 consecutive starts, and was a 5 time Pro Bowler.

At first look, I thought the Thread Title was "Best Redskins Thread Ever". And I though elkabong sure is getting full of himself now. LOL.

But your list looks good elka. No arguements from me.

:laugh: I actually thought that too at first glance but I thought he was going to do a poll or something on which thread was the best. I wanted to see how far ahead of the bunch "paloffs is now" was.

But I do like his list as well.

Somebody else already mentioned him, but how on earth does Ken Houston fail to crack your "starting six" on defense? I mean, if you'd listed two safeties instead of him, I'd disagree ... but I'm downright offended that you think he fails to beat out an empty spot on the field. :)

Even though I think he'll eventually belong in that lineup, I don't think Cooley has done enough yet to merit a spot over Jerry Smith.

Charley Taylor definitely needs to be on there, and I don't think I would ever list Monk before him. I think Monk, Clark, and Bobby Mitchell are all legitimate choices for number two.

Gene Brito would be a decent choice for your second DE.

And if you're going to count Sam Huff, then Champ Bailey absolutely deserves to be the second corner.

At first look, I thought the Thread Title was "Best Redskins Thread Ever". And I though elkabong sure is getting full of himself now. LOL.

:laugh: Me, too.

QB: Sammy Baugh

RB: John Riggins

FB: Larry Centers

TE: Jerry Smith

WR: Charlie Taylor

WR: Art Monk

FL: Bobby Mitchell

LT: Jim Lachey

LG: Russ Grimm

C: Len Hauss

RG: Mark May

RT: Joe Jacoby

DT: Dave Butz

DT: Diron Talbert

DE: Dexter Manley (honorable mention to Deacon Jones for 1974)

DE: Charles Mann

MLB: Sam Huff

OLB: Chris Hanburger

OLB: Wilbur Marshal

CB: Darrell Green

CB: Champ Bailey

S: Ken Houston

S: Paul Krause (the man had 12 INTs as a rookie)

K: Mark Moseley

P: Sammy Baugh

R: Mike "No Fair Catches" Nelms

LS: Len Hauss

Not a bad list, Elkabong. A couple comments.

If I remember correctly, Jake and Grimm played on the left side.

Charley Harraway is a candidate for fullback. He was a great lead blocker for Larry Brown, and not a bad runner in his own right.

In time Cooley may well earn the slot at tight end. But he hasn't passed Jerry Smith yet.

No slight to Sean Taylor, but Ken Houston was a Hall of Fame safety for the Redskins. Paul Krause was another all-time great. Sean's career was, tragically, too short to leapfrog those two Redskins greats, IMO.

Len Hauss gets an edge at the center spot over Bostic. He played EVERY game his entire career, made 192 consecutive starts, and was a 5 time Pro Bowler.

Excellent points. I really struggled between ST and Houston, and I have no problem with that vote going either way. I just happened to lean towards ST because he could play either safety position, and could basically be left out in the back all alone. With ST, potential has to be factored in, IMO. This is why guys like Bo Jackson are discussed among NFL greats also. No argument from me for considering Houston or Krausse.

I goofed and had a couple guys switched. Jacoby could play anywhere, but I slid him in at RT so I could include Chris Samuels. I was critical of Chris, thinking he was overrated, until Buges got his hands on him. Samuels has developed into an elite OT before our eyes, and IMO is already one of the elite Skins OL. Grimm should be RG, May should be LG. Great point with Hauss, but I still lean towards Bostic and what he was able to accomplish.

Fullback I really just blanked on honestly. I was trying to compose the list without using the almighty power of the internets, which is why I was lazy and went with Sellers, who has been a great FB for us. I like your candidate though, I can't believe he didn't come to mind. However, I am going to change mine to Centers.

Excellent comments, everyone.

But your list looks good elka. No arguements from me.

Thanks. I'd say the best Redskins thread ever is either paloffs now, or, either one of AJ Skins "I'm done/never coming back" threads. Both laugh riots.

The best ATN thread is eagle091's "Eagles will make the playoffs" which is now, after many changes, the "Eagle is a dodo bird" thread.

Any one of my threads would be 3rd or 4th best ever. :D :laugh:

Somebody else already mentioned him, but how on earth does Ken Houston fail to crack your "starting six" on defense? I mean, if you'd listed two safeties instead of him, I'd disagree ... but I'm downright offended that you think he fails to beat out an empty spot on the field. :)

Even though I think he'll eventually belong in that lineup, I don't think Cooley has done enough yet to merit a spot over Jerry Smith.

Charley Taylor definitely needs to be on there, and I don't think I would ever list Monk before him. I think Monk, Clark, and Bobby Mitchell are all legitimate choices for number two.

Gene Brito would be a decent choice for your second DE.

And if you're going to count Sam Huff, then Champ Bailey absolutely deserves to be the second corner.

:laugh: Me, too.

I only listed single positions, not the entire roster. If you want to list the entire starting roster, go ahead.

I would not list Champ in there, even as the 2nd CB. Champ did good as a Skin, but didn't become great until he was a Bronco. A lot of people have gotten confused over that over the years, which is why some people can't let that trade go. But when Bailey left here, he certainly was not the best CB in the NFL as he arguably is now. You could actually make a strong argument for Baugh to also be there as the 2nd CB.

I've got Monk as the greatest Skin WR. You disagree, but you're not going to convince me otherwise. I already said in response to some one else though, that I have no arguments with Houston as the best safety. I have my reasons for ST though, and those reasons are obvious, and do go beyond his recent passing. No disrespect to Jerry Smith, I just happen to think Cooley gets the edge. I won't argue with you guys though, after all, it's only opinion, and yours are just as valid as mine.

Dexter Manley and Charles Mann don't get mentioned enough when great REDSKIN players are talked about. Great defenses need at least 1 player on the squad like a DEXTER MANLEY who has the ability to fire up his teammates and the crowd.

I still remember a playoff game in chilly Chicago that had MIKE DITKA saying days before the game that MANLEY stinks at covering the run on his side.......Dexter went out and stuffed the run that day....it was a great performance. Dexter still holds the Redskins record for all-time sacks.

Archived