Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Heyer Overrated?

Thinking Skins

Yeah, I kinda feel that same way. How often did he get help last year? I know he had his moments, but are we really seeing him being our next all pro? Is he the next Jon Jansen or Shar Pourdonesh? or relly, is he the next Todd Wade (a guy who this time last year there was a large segment of this board saying should replace Jansen, given it was just the active newcomers mostly, but still)?

I actually thought Wade looked better than Jansen at RT two years ago. Last season was a disaster for him.

Truth is, RT is still a big question for us. Hopefully Heyer turns into something because big Jon was on the downward slide before he got injured.

was he ever rated?
Is Heyer even rated?
How can Heyer be overrated?!! He went undrafted!
It's way to early to tell if he's overrated' date=' but I'll tell you this much...he did an admirable job stepping right in for Jansen during the opening day game last season.[/quote']
i never thought i'd see a thread dedicated to the over-ratedness of a guy who was a rookie replacement lineman...wow....must be the offseason for sure.

This is from Hog Heaven:

Why Stephon Heyer is More Important than Continuity

To be fair, Heyer has some clear weaknesses, in run blocking especially. His inexperience shows as he was not particually effective in cutting off the backside pursuit on running plays (but then again, no one on this team actually did that), and he was downright dreadful at getting to the linebacker level. Both of those things are things that will be corrected, likely in a single offseason, by line coach Joe Bugel.

What doesn’t need to be improved is Heyer’s excellent hand position in pass blocking. Heyer fights hands with opposing ends with the technique of a seven year professional. Consequently, he’s an excellent pass blocker for a right tackle. He’s got room to bulk up, but he’s a huge reason that the Redskins ranked above the mean in adjusted sack rate for offensive lines.

The article goes on to talk about how much of an asset the guy is and how he is the future at RT. All this after half a season starting at RT. Maybe I'm just trying to prevent myself from getting too excited about the guy, but are we getting too excited about the guy?

I actually thought Wade looked better than Jansen at RT two years ago. Last season was a disaster for him.

Truth is, RT is still a big question for us. Hopefully Heyer turns into something because big Jon was on the downward slide before he got injured.

For 1 game. I think Jansen is good and he has somethign to prove.

Jansen is notorious for starting off slow. Last time he was a full starter we gave up what? 19 sacks all year? Jansen was credited with 4 of those I believe. I'm not too worried about him and Buges even said just about the same thing about him.

Heyer should in no way shape or form be starting this year. He's got a looooong way to go.

Jansen is notorious for starting off slow. Last time he was a full starter we gave up what? 19 sacks all year? Jansen was credited with 4 of those I believe. I'm not too worried about him and Buges even said just about the same thing about him.

Heyer should in no way shape or form be starting this year. He's got a looooong way to go.

I think they only gave up only 6 games in JC first season and 13 of those sacks came with Brunell in the game

For a guy that we didn't even draft and was a long shot to make the team last year b/c he was a UDFA, now may be a future starting RT or LT for us.....that's not overrated that's underrated.

I can't wait to see what he can do in preseason since he's really hit the weight room and the offseason conditioning this year.

He could be a serious monster Tackle in the next season or two.

I'm starting all my posts with this notice: Its the offseason, so please just allow my mind to wander.

That being said, there has been a lot of praise for how well Heyer did last season. But lets not forget that the year before we were all praising Wade and saying how well he had done in place of Jansen. Now people are talking about how they don't see him making the team. I know that Wade is like 32 and Heyer is like 24, so thats a big plus for Heyer. But whats this guy's skill level? Are we looking at a future pro bowl RT? Is he Chris Samuel's replacement at LT? Or will he come back down to earth when he gets blows a few assignments?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping him. But whats this guy's talent level? Is he gonna keep getting better from year to year or are we going to realize in two years when Jansen retires that Heyer really isn't much more than a backup in this league?

And for those of you who think this is a bad thread, please understand, its the offseason and I NEED FOOTBALL!

Heyer has some serious work to do to be a really good player, but I think he has the physical tools. He's big enough and quick on his feet for his size to be a quality player. He looks to be in much better shape this year over last year as well, he lost alot of that baby fat and put on muscle. Physically I think he's got what it takes. I think that Buges will get his techique polished and I seems like he is a pretty quick learner. Remember, he was a Left Tackle at UM, and he didnt play RT until Jon went down. He was playing LT for Samuels in preseason, but he picked RT up pretty quickly.

What he really lacks is that killer instinct.

He's got to get alot more physical in his run blocking (which isnt real good right now) and get a mean streak. That is what I like so much about Rinehart, he is really nasty and mauls guys, pancakes guys and gets to the second level and blows people up. Stephon doesnt do that, and that is where he has to improve the most to become a really good player. He's pretty passive in his run blocking and doesnt get to the 2nd level.

Basically he just needs to decide that he is going to bury anyone that gets in his ****ing way.

:D

So no, I dont think he is over rated. I think he could be a quality starter.

Heyer handled Strahan and Jason Taylor. That alone speaks volumes. Jon Jansen is the one who is over rated NOW, he should be cut IMHO he can't stay healthy and seems to have lost a step.

No no no no no no no.

You do not CUT Jon Jansen.

If he is outplayed and out hustled in OTAs, Training Camp and Pre-Season feel free to make him a backup, but you absolutely do not CUT him.

I personally think he's still a quality starter and even if you disagree I think cutting him would be foolish. He would be a great backup at the very least.

How can a guy who wasn't even drafted, who came in when players went down, stepped up as a rookie, started some games against pretty good competition and held his own be overrated? I'm not saying the dude is a pro-bowler or hall of famer, but i think he did a darn good job considering the circumstances last years.

No no no no no no no.

You do not CUT Jon Jansen.

If he is outplayed and out hustled in OTAs, Training Camp and Pre-Season feel free to make him a backup, but you absolutely do not CUT him.

I personally think he's still a quality starter and even if you disagree I think cutting him would be foolish. He would be a great backup at the very least.

Totally. If he gets beat out, he's your depth. Absolutely do not cut the guy. While I think his best years are behind him, he's still got something in the tank. He's a good guy to have around the locker room and he's the longest tenure Redskin. Remember, he's not ancient and should have several years left in him, especially if he isnt playing everyday.

Heyer handled Strahan and Jason Taylor. That alone speaks volumes. Jon Jansen is the one who is over rated NOW, he should be cut IMHO he can't stay healthy and seems to have lost a step.

Even if Jansen looks terrible this year, we can't cut him because we gave him a huge extension two years ago. Even though he was clearly on the decline.

Totally. If he gets beat out, he's your depth. Absolutely do not cut the guy. While I think his best years are behind him, he's still got something in the tank. He's a good guy to have around the locker room and he's the longest tenure Redskin. Remember, he's not ancient and should have several years left in him, especially if he isnt playing everyday.

No one is going to say Jansen is a rock anymore. But that doesnt mean he cant still play. Especially if Heyer can continue to improve, he would be playing less downs so it could be a cure to his durability woes

No one is going to say Jansen is a rock anymore. But that doesnt mean he cant still play. Especially if Heyer can continue to improve, he would be playing less downs so it could be a cure to his durability woes

If anything, Jansen is a much better run blocker than Heyer at this point. How come none of our O linemen have nicknames? The "dirtbags" doesn't count, Im talking about individual nicknames? We got Dirty Thirty and Meast(RIP), LFB and JC, Old Man Randle El, and Captain Chaos, why doesn't Randy Thomas, Samuels or Jansen have a nickname? Any suggestions?

How come none of our O linemen have nicknames? The "dirtbags" doesn't count, Im talking about individual nicknames? We got Dirty Thirty and Meast(RIP), LFB and JC, Old Man Randle El, and Captain Chaos, why doesn't Randy Thomas, Samuels or Jansen have a nickname? Any suggestions?

Big Randy should be The Chef, for obvious reasons.

Isnt Fabini known as "Hairy" and "Furbini" again, for obvious reasons?

Cut Jansen? Are you out of your freaking mind? Who in the world are you gonna get to replace him? Heyer sure as hell can't. You'd have to handcuff Cooley or maybe even Davis to him all year. No thanks. The last time Jansen played a full season we gave up a total of 19 sacks for the year. Jansen gave up 4 of those.

Jansen also isn't injury prone. He's had a couple of years of bad luck. Guys coming down on him. It's not his body giving up on him, it's outside factors causing injury. There's a huge difference.

I got Jansen's back. I will stand here right now and tell you that a healthy Jansen (which he should be this year) is far and beyond better than anybody else we have on the roster and in no way shape or form do I want to see anybody else starting at RT besides him this year. Neither should anybody else because he'll give you the best protection and the best run blocking from that position.

I think Heyer is a decent player, but I don't believe him to be a pro bowl level Tackle that some might think of him. He is a good player, but I don't think that he is consistent enough to be a pro bowl player. I think that we should try and keep him, but not at any cost.

Archived