Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Heyer Overrated?

Thinking Skins

I'm starting all my posts with this notice: Its the offseason, so please just allow my mind to wander.

That being said, there has been a lot of praise for how well Heyer did last season. But lets not forget that the year before we were all praising Wade and saying how well he had done in place of Jansen. Now people are talking about how they don't see him making the team. I know that Wade is like 32 and Heyer is like 24, so thats a big plus for Heyer. But whats this guy's skill level? Are we looking at a future pro bowl RT? Is he Chris Samuel's replacement at LT? Or will he come back down to earth when he gets blows a few assignments?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping him. But whats this guy's talent level? Is he gonna keep getting better from year to year or are we going to realize in two years when Jansen retires that Heyer really isn't much more than a backup in this league?

And for those of you who think this is a bad thread, please understand, its the offseason and I NEED FOOTBALL!

Not at all.

Every team needs a huge ass, tall ass black guy!

:laugh: :applause:

But seriously, Every guy who isn't drafted but manages to contribute anyway builds a reputation that may be better than he deserves. And every first rounder that doesn't instantly make the probowl gets a worse reputation than he deserves. The playing field, in terms of expectations, isn't at all level. Heyer is a good football player. And the fact that he was able to do what he could do against premium competition is remarkable. So, he deserves every compliment that he gets. But, he's not ready to take Jansens job away from him.

I don't think that he is overrated in most peoples minds, but there are some who are expecting too much from the guy.

He played very well last year but certainly isnt a proven starter yet. From what we have heared he really changed his body type and it should really benifit him. I think its too soon to make a call if he is a starter but he is already a proven depth player and can only get better. He kept Strahan under control so thats worth something. So I would say not overrated.

Well its hard to say that an undrafted, second year player is overrated.

Buges did a great job with him especially considering how little time he had before Heyer was playing. Is he Chris Samuels' replacement? Eventually yes but I don't think he's a future Pro Bowler like Chris. Chris is one of the best we've ever had at LT, I think its a little pre-mature to say that he's the next Chris Samuels.

I do think Heyer has some huge potential, and as long as we have Bugel I have hope for our O-line.

And for those of you who think this is a bad thread, please understand, its the offseason and I NEED FOOTBALL!

You need a hobby.

Heyer is raw but has size and potential, and did pretty well when we needed him to last year. That's about all we know right now.

Overrated? No. He played reasonably well last year, and was undrafted. He has far exceeded any expectations. He has earned the praise he gets. It's not like he's moved into the starting lineup, but the team recognizes him as a solid backup player at tackle.

Heyer will be good, mark my words.. You are always going to have someone that tries to find the flaws in everyones play but you heard it from Strahan himself, he praised Heyer on his performance against him. There have been pro-bowl guys who get ate up by Strahan and Heyer held his own against one of the best. I think that's GREAT reason top be excited about this players potential. (until he proves otherwise)

I think to compare Todd Wade and Stephon Heyer is silly.

I'm starting all my posts with this notice: Its the offseason, so please just allow my mind to wander.

That being said, there has been a lot of praise for how well Heyer did last season. But lets not forget that the year before we were all praising Wade and saying how well he had done in place of Jansen. Now people are talking about how they don't see him making the team. I know that Wade is like 32 and Heyer is like 24, so thats a big plus for Heyer. But whats this guy's skill level? Are we looking at a future pro bowl RT? Is he Chris Samuel's replacement at LT? Or will he come back down to earth when he gets blows a few assignments?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping him. But whats this guy's talent level? Is he gonna keep getting better from year to year or are we going to realize in two years when Jansen retires that Heyer really isn't much more than a backup in this league?

Heyer has alot of work to do to get to Samuels skill level, no doubt. But I think he's going to be our RT in a couple of years. Right now, I think Jansen is a slightly better player, but only slightly. The fact of the matter is that he improved a great deal during the season last year and this year came into camp in much better shape than he was last year. This tells me a couple things; he has room to improve, and he's willing to work to get better. Both of these are positive. He's got Buges as well and I dont know if there is a better offensive line coach in the league. Look at Samuels. he's been to the prow bowl the last 3 years with Buges coaching. Now I'm not saying Heyer is Samuels, but I think that he has enough skills for someone like Buges to make Heyer a good player in this league.

That being said, there has been a lot of praise for how well Heyer did last season. But lets not forget that the year before we were all praising Wade and saying how well he had done in place of Jansen. Now people are talking about how they don't see him making the team. I know that Wade is like 32 and Heyer is like 24, so thats a big plus for Heyer.

Just something I noticed....

I have heard Buges absolutely GUSH about Heyer. Very recently.

NEVER heard any such gushing about Wade.

Tells me we might seriously have something to look forward to.

Well... he's rated 76 in Madden '09, but I'd give him a 77... So I guess that makes him underrated.

But in all seriousness, I don't think this guy is anywhere close to being a dominating starter on our offensive line. He's young, he has size, and now some good starting experience... (which will certainly secure him a spot on the roster) but Heyer plays too upright and doesn't seem to possess a real mean-streak.

I love me a local, undrafted free agent- but Heyer seems like nothing more than a solid back-up to me. Not a future All-Pro lineman.

Now Kerry Brown on the other-hand...

I get the feeling that watching the Todd Wade and Jason Fabini Pancake Show for weeks on end got everyone's expectations so low that we were all ready to be blown away by just plain average.

And that's what Heyer looked like to me. Just plain average. There's nothing wrong with that, especially for a backup, and double-dog especially for an undrafted rookie backup. But I don't think Heyer is The Future at either tackle position, unless we're content with one side of the line being... well, just plain average.

I believe that a lot of the hype for Heyer stems from the fact that our running game didnt really take off until he replaced Wade in the lineup. We were all blaming Fabini for our lack of a run game because of those false starts in the Philly game, but it was when Heyer stepped in that we realized it was Wade who was stinking up the joint. Is he great in pass protection? I dunno. I mean, as was mentioned previously, he was able to contain Strahan and Buges has praised his skill, but he isnt great or anything.

Overall, I think we love to root for the underdog and we think that Heyer has real promise to be that guy who actually comes through. For all of the Bramlets, Lumsdens, and Mixes (though Mix may actually play out, seeing how its not even preseason) of the world, its nice to see Heyer come in and perform above our expectations.

Personally, I think sitting behind a healthy (*crosses fingers*) Jansen for a year and under the tutelage of Buges will really help Heyer become a solid starter. I dont have any delusions that he will be a Samuels type talent or anything, but I think that he could be a solid starter for a few years while we work on getting our aging line young again.

Archived