Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Personal Opinion - Mike Sellers to be Phased Out (M.E.T.)

JMUGator19

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

This is just an opinion, there is nothing said by the coaches to make me think this...

But I was watching the Redskins Patriots game today and noticed that about 25% of the reason the pass offense had trouble came back to Mike Sellers' inability to pass block. He got dominated. Not a little, alot. Alot of the pass rush came through him and some of the bat downs came from the guy he was supposed to "occupy".

I am not saying Cooley did not mess up. Or that Jason did not have a few inacurate throws (although it was like 25 mile an hour winds there so...)

But with Sellers age, and unsure role in the new offense, I see his role diminishing over the next year. He will obviously make the team as the best FB the skins have. But he will be in very limited snaps and only on rushing situations or goal line situations.

However, if he learns to pass block over the course of this off-season, then his role just got bigger because he already is a decent pass catcher and rush blocker.

I have a feeling the Redskins staff doubt his ability to pass block, and in general I suspect it is either going to be Fred Davis or Mike Sellers out there. If i was the skins I would take more time to develop the younger high draft pick over the experienced older veteran.

If all goes well, he will turn into Mack Strong and catch/run 4 times a game and road block like crazy.

Opinions?

:logo:

Please re-read the rules regarding the proper formatting of thread titles. Thanks

-zoony

Yeah, this is what I see happening too. I think the main competition is between Davis and Sellers. Add together the pass catching abilities of Davis, and that he can improve his run blocking abilities the asme way Cooley did, adn the age of Sellers and I can see the Davis pick as more functional, particularly if we're going to be eliminating the fullback from our offense in place of a two tight end set. That makes it more of a move down the road than right now.

So even if Davis doesn't pick up the offense immediately, we can start off with the traditional lineup (Moss, ARE, Cooley, Portis, Sellers) and then as Davis picks up the offense more our WRs develop we can become more of a team focused on the two TE lineup - particularly next year.

Well in a traditional WCO scheme fullbacks are used frequently. But, with alot of 2 TE sets this season (we will assume with the drafting of Fred Davis) I see your opinion being more than likely correct.

I'm a fan of Sellers, but I have also noticed (not just in the Pats game) that his pass blocking could be better. That being said I think he's the type you want Clinton following if they need a yard or 2 because he will absoutley blow somebody up in a hole.

Man...i havent looked back at more games to see if your right

But i LOVE Mike Sellers...dude is a Jerome Bettis with twice the athletic ability, stregth and without the gut.

I love his run blocking, I love his pass catching, I love him with the ball

Like someone said b4, you shouldnt use the pats game to judge him, but i hope this isnt true or they can just let him run the flats cuz he is a huge weapon that i dont think we use enough to be honest

You can't use the Pats game as a measuring stick...Everyone played like crap

What the Pats did to the Skins that game was expose their weaknesses. So yes. You can use it as a measuring stick.

Watch that game again. They basically did a few simple things all game that messed with the skins.

1 They destroyed the Sellers pass protection matchup.

2 Every other play was either a Play Action or a Draw. Why? Because when a team plays Cover 2, the MLBer's responsibility is simple (complex). If it is a pass play Fletcher is supposed to go deep and cover the middle deep. If it is a run play he is supposed to be the main tackler. Alot of responsibility for him no?

On Defense the Pats used an outside rush through Sellers to force Jason into throwing either short passes or throwing quickly. Rarely did Jason have a secure pocket to stand in. (Brady on the other hand took his 3 step drop and stood there... and stood there... and stood there...)

On Offense the Pats negated London Fletcher by PA and Draws, making him essentially unsure and useless the whole game.

There were a couple of other factors no doubt. But it was those 2 core ideas that the patriots went into the game with, and essentially won them that game.

In the end of the day, everyone saw that game, and the Redskins have to adjust to being exposed. What is your solution?

You can't use the Pats game as a measuring stick...Everyone played like crap

Exactly!!! :applause:

Plus Mack Strong's highest TD total while Zorn was in Seattle was 2 in a year. And his highest receiving total was 216 yards.

Sellers in 07 had 7 receiving TDs and 1 rushing TD. He doesn't get the yardage but the TDs are there.

:dallasuck

What the Pats did to the Skins that game was expose their weaknesses. So yes. You can use it as a measuring stick.

Watch that game again. They basically did a few simple things all game that messed with the skins.

1 They destroyed the Sellers pass protection matchup.

2 Every other play was either a Play Action or a Draw. Why? Because when a team plays Cover 2, the MLBer's responsibility is simple (complex). If it is a pass play Fletcher is supposed to go deep and cover the middle deep. If it is a run play he is supposed to be the main tackler. Alot of responsibility for him no?

On Defense the Pats used an outside rush through Sellers to force Jason into throwing either short passes or throwing quickly. Rarely did Jason have a secure pocket to stand in. (Brady on the other hand took his 3 step drop and stood there... and stood there... and stood there...)

On Offense the Pats negated London Fletcher by PA and Draws, making him essentially unsure and useless the whole game.

There were a couple of other factors no doubt. But it was those 2 core ideas that the patriots went into the game with, and essentially won them that game.

In the end of the day, everyone saw that game, and the Redskins have to adjust to being exposed. What is your solution?

Hopefully from what I have seen in interviews Blache is not gonna run as much Cover 2 if any at all.

Sellers is 33 years old. I would be surprised to see him in Washington in 2009.

That said, you have to look at Fred Davis' game and what he has shown in college. His rep is that he has been an inconsistent worker who plays soft.

So, until Zorn and Bugel get a chance to work with him for at least this season and Davis starts to refine his game, I don't see him taking on a key role as a pass blocker here.

If anything I see Davis in 2008 being a red-zone threat and a guy you line up wide to create mismatches.

I don't see him as a trench player.

This is just an opinion, there is nothing said by the coaches to make me think this...

But I was watching the Redskins Patriots game today and noticed that about 25% of the reason the pass offense had trouble came back to Mike Sellers' inability to pass block. He got dominated. Not a little, alot. Alot of the pass rush came through him and some of the bat downs came from the guy he was supposed to "occupy".

I am not saying Cooley did not mess up. Or that Jason did not have a few inacurate throws (although it was like 25 mile an hour winds there so...)

But with Sellers age, and unsure role in the new offense, I see his role diminishing over the next year. He will obviously make the team as the best FB the skins have. But he will be in very limited snaps and only on rushing situations or goal line situations.

However, if he learns to pass block over the course of this off-season, then his role just got bigger because he already is a decent pass catcher and rush blocker.

I have a feeling the Redskins staff doubt his ability to pass block, and in general I suspect it is either going to be Fred Davis or Mike Sellers out there. If i was the skins I would take more time to develop the younger high draft pick over the experienced older veteran.

If all goes well, he will turn into Mack Strong and catch/run 4 times a game and road block like crazy.

Opinions?

When you consider that Sellers is our starting FB and Davis is a backup TE at this point, there is no point for comparison. The dont even play the same position, although Sellers can play TE and has played it well, which we cant say for Davis at FB.

When you consider that Sellers is our starting FB and Davis is a backup TE at this point, there is no point for comparison. The dont even play the same position, although Sellers can play TE and has played it well, which we cant say for Davis at FB.

Neither of them will start too many games next season. Don't forget FBs rarely get more than 10 starts in a season. (its a meaningless stat)

PS you don't spend a 2nd round pick on someone to be a back up. Especially if you rated that person as a 1st round talent. Davis was probably the best TE or second best TE in college. He isn't on the team to sit on the bench. Oh, and btw Sellers is a good FB on running plays and a good TE on pass plays.

Why? because he can catch and he can run block. He isn't that fast so you don't want him catching in the backfeild and he can't passblock so you don't particularly want him on the line. where does that leave you? If you switch between them, the other team will know if it is a pass play or run play based on where he is lined up.

He is in a pickle if he can't learn a new trick.

PPS Portis is a better blocker than Sellers by far. And he is half his size.

He will get phased out to a degree, but it won't have anything to do with his diminishing play--the guy is a presence on the field and gives our offense a nastiness it otherwise lacks. However, with the WCO in place, more 3 and 4 WR sets and 2 TE sets will be installed, thus decreasing his chances of getting on the field outside the red zone.

Yeah, this is what I see happening too. I think the main competition is between Davis and Sellers. Add together the pass catching abilities of Davis, and that he can improve his run blocking abilities the asme way Cooley did, adn the age of Sellers and I can see the Davis pick as more functional, particularly if we're going to be eliminating the fullback from our offense in place of a two tight end set. That makes it more of a move down the road than right now.

So even if Davis doesn't pick up the offense immediately, we can start off with the traditional lineup (Moss, ARE, Cooley, Portis, Sellers) and then as Davis picks up the offense more our WRs develop we can become more of a team focused on the two TE lineup - particularly next year.

Lineup will not be Moss, ARE, Cooley, CP and Sellers..... Jim Zorn already say he will use ARE in the Slot. I believe Kelly or Thomas will be starting at number 2 WR. ARE is best in the slot anyways. first fews preseason games you will see Moss and ARE starting but last two you will see Thomas or Kelly stepping up

Man...i havent looked back at more games to see if your right

But i LOVE Mike Sellers...dude is a Jerome Bettis with twice the athletic ability, stregth and without the gut.

I am as big a homer as the next guy but that takes it a little far.

Lineup will not be Moss, ARE, Cooley, CP and Sellers..... Jim Zorn already say he will use ARE in the Slot. I believe Kelly or Thomas will be starting at number 2 WR. ARE is best in the slot anyways. first fews preseason games you will see Moss and ARE starting but last two you will see Thomas or Kelly stepping up

thats a big reach. I'm just saying that if the rookies don't come along as fast as we'd like, then we'll see a starting lineup similar to the one we had last year. Then we have the option of

- going 3 WR with Kelly

- going 3 WR with Thomas

- going 2TE with Davis

- going a FB with Sellers

- going 4 WR with Kelly and Thomas

It makes for a nice set of options for us, but I don't see us going 3 WRs out of the bat. I see us starting with the same starting lineup as last year.

Sellers is somewhat overrated. He could get a yard if he ran straight ahead, but he forgets that he's a 280 lb. FB and tries to dance around

I don't seem to remember Big Mike being much of a dancer. He definitely doesn't shy away from contact and he isn't afraid of running through somebody. See my sig.

IMO Sellers is still an important player on this team. He needs to cut down on his mental mistakes but he still has a few years ahead of him with this organization. It's going to come down to Zorn and his style of WCO but IMO he can help this offense if we utilize him correctly (run blocking, short routes, short runs, etc.).

Archived