Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

too much of that salty sea air! :silly:
No such thing
Most likely an intake manifold gasket (or manifold) that is leaking air into the engine. Second thought would be a failing idle air control motor.

Idle air control motor is kind of what I was thinking. I am suppose to work on somebodies car, but I've been stupid busy at a new job and don't have time to mess with it. How would I know if it's the manifold? Just spray carb cleaner around it like a vacuum leak?

No such thing

Idle air control motor is kind of what I was thinking. I am suppose to work on somebodies car, but I've been stupid busy at a new job and don't have time to mess with it. How would I know if it's the manifold? Just spray carb cleaner around it like a vacuum leak?

Yeah, spread carb cleaner around the gasket when it's happening. If the idle clears up then you have your answer.

I had a gas leak in my fuel tank (must have hit a nasty bump on a construction road), so a buddy mechanic of mine repaired it with an epoxy kit meant for the job. Was driving home from work yesterday, left the car on to go into 7-11, came back out and looked under to see gas leaking out like a faucet.

Sounds like I need a new fuel tank. Dude said he found one for $100. Is it worth it to get this replaced? I drive a 1993 toyota Corolla...

I had a gas leak in my fuel tank (must have hit a nasty bump on a construction road), so a buddy mechanic of mine repaired it with an epoxy kit meant for the job. Was driving home from work yesterday, left the car on to go into 7-11, came back out and looked under to see gas leaking out like a faucet.

Sounds like I need a new fuel tank. Dude said he found one for $100. Is it worth it to get this replaced? I drive a 1993 toyota Corolla...

Yes, dear god yes. Do you think leaking gasoline is safe for you? Plus, that **** is expensive.

Yes, dear god yes. Do you think leaking gasoline is safe for you? Plus, that **** is expensive.

Haha, sorry, I may have worded my question oddly. Obviously for the car to run safely and economically, I'd need to get it replaced. But, how costly are these types of repairs usually? I paid $1000 for the car and hate the idea of putting a ton into it.

Haha, sorry, I may have worded my question oddly. Obviously for the car to run safely and economically, I'd need to get it replaced. But, how costly are these types of repairs usually? I paid $1000 for the car and hate the idea of putting a ton into it.
Swapping tanks is pretty easy. $100 ain't a bad price.

2007 Chevy Trailblazer with automatic windows. The passenger window barely moves and gets stuck. I won't even attempt to roll it down anymore because I'm afraid it will get stuck down and we're now in December. Drivers side window is very slow moving and gets stuck sometimes as well. What gives?

2007 Chevy Trailblazer with automatic windows. The passenger window barely moves and gets stuck. I won't even attempt to roll it down anymore because I'm afraid it will get stuck down and we're now in December. Drivers side window is very slow moving and gets stuck sometimes as well. What gives?

My first thought is that the window motors are probably getting weak. They'll overheat and stop moving when going up. After they cool down they will go up again. Going down isn't a problem.

Does it only happen when you operate the windows from the driver's side? If so, it might just be a flaky master window switch. Try rolling down the passenger's side window using the switch on that door. Those master switch panels on the drivers side seem to burn out fairly often in Trailblazers. Happened in my Envoy too, which is basically the same truck.

Any recommendations on a good hood scoop for my civic?

None. But if you must do it, go all the way and get a complete hood, not just a bolt on scoop. It looks tacky and cheap, and unless your cutting out sections of your stock hood (which is beyond stupid) it isnt going to be functional. What kind of Civic?

Edited by big#44

My first thought is that the window motors are probably getting weak. They'll overheat and stop moving when going up. After they cool down they will go up again. Going down isn't a problem.

Yep, sometimes soaking the rubber channel the glass runs in with spray silicone lubricant will ease the load on the motor

Does it only happen when you operate the windows from the driver's side? If so, it might just be a flaky master window switch. Try rolling down the passenger's side window using the switch on that door. Those master switch panels on the drivers side seem to burn out fairly often in Trailblazers. Happened in my Envoy too, which is basically the same truck.

No its the same problem whether you try from the master panel on the drivers side or the single button on the passenger side. Plus I can roll down the back windows from the master panel no problem, so it doesn't seem like the switch is the problem.

• 1 month later...

I found this interesting quote on the internet, in regards to saving gas......what are your thoughts ? bogus, and potentially damaging to the car ? or truthful ?

"I have a 2000 dodge minivan 3.3l. You might think its odd, but I mix non-detergent SAE 30 motor oil with the gas ( 1 qt to 15-20 gals ), and it gets me a lot better milage, and runs better too. Been doing it for years, it will also extend the life of your fuel pump."

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

I found this interesting quote on the internet, in regards to saving gas......what are your thoughts ? bogus ? or truthful ?

"I have a 2000 dodge minivan 3.3l. You might think its odd, but I mix non-detergent SAE 30 motor oil with the gas ( 1 qt to 15-20 gals ), and it gets me a lot better milage, and runs better too. Been doing it for years, it will also extend the life of your fuel pump."

never heard of it, we used to put a quart of trans fluid in a tank to clean the engine (smoked like hell)

I found this interesting quote on the internet, in regards to saving gas......what are your thoughts ? bogus, and potentially damaging to the car ? or truthful ?

Sounds like a good way to ruin a catalytic converter to me. I wouldn't do it.

The more I think about it, the less likely it would seem that it would even increase fuel economy.

---------- Post added February-1st-2013 at 09:39 PM ----------

never heard of it, we used to put a quart of trans fluid in a tank to clean the engine (smoked like hell)

Transmission fluid is a detergent. Engine oil is a lubricant.