Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

you can try flushing it with wd-40 ect, and trying a spare key or having another cut possibly

aside from that,levering the key slightly up and down while rocking the steering wheel sometimes works

or flag down a thief with a slidehammer to pop it out

i have tried moving the steering wheel while fidgeting the key. i can get it to go backward occasionally, but cant get it to go all the way forward anymore.

i was about to try the wd-40.

and i figured that it's worth getting a new key cut to at least see if that works, though i doubt it, since the new cut will be based on the old worn key.

fyi, i bought it at King of Cars in Pasadena.

Edited by sportjunkie07

i have an 03 chevy cavalier (automatic), and i cant turn the key. the car is in park, i have tried moving the steering wheel, and tapping the key into the column (to loosen tumblers) with a mallet.

this problem was first noticed as i was attempting to start the car and drive it out of the used car dealership (go figure). it took me about 5 minutes to get the key (which looks very worn) to turn, and i figured it was just a little touchy and i needed to get used to it. ive been trying to get the key to turn for a couple hours now, to no avail.

all signs are pointing to a replacement of the locking mechanism, which is pretty pricey.. suggestions?

I'd try a new key first. If that doesn't help then you're right, it probably is the lock cylinder.

I'd try a new key first. If that doesn't help then you're right, it probably is the lock cylinder.
new cut keys are usually slightly larger

take the worn key and shove it up the car lot managers ass.(no,I don't know him)

got a key made at walmart last night.. was skeptical but it started on the first try. youre right the new key is about 2 millimeters larger in length than the old one. thanks, $1.98 is much better than $650.00

Edited by sportjunkie07

Mini-emergency question (split from insurance thread): Is there such a thing as a torsion bar on the rear of a 2004 Ford Explorer? I just spoke with my great mechanic pal, and he said off the top of his head, it seems like the 2004 Explorer doesn't have a torsion bar, but he wasn't sure - I'm not giving the go ahead to replace something that the mechanic at the shop doesn't even know what to call the right name after their previous screw ups, so I'm just looking for confirmation one way or another. Google seems to indicate my mechanic pal is right.

• 2 months later...

My mechanic recently told me that i need to have my front and rear struts assembly replaced. The cost he gave me was economy parts were $1150 and for premier parts $1500. I am not sure whether or not these costs are correct and if this is even warranted to do for a car with 130K. Please let me know. Thanks!

My mechanic recently told me that i need to have my front and rear struts assembly replaced. The cost he gave me was economy parts were $1150 and for premier parts $1500. I am not sure whether or not these costs are correct and if this is even warranted to do for a car with 130K. Please let me know. Thanks!

The prices seem about right depending on the car. It's hard to say whether the struts need to be replaced or not but 130K is not out of the ordinary. Struts will lose their ability to dampen the shock to the vehicle very slowly over time. This is something that the driver hardly ever notices until somebody says something to them. A weak strut will mean reduced handling ability and longer braking distances. If they are leaking then they should definitely be replaced.

The prices seem about right depending on the car. It's hard to say whether the struts need to be replaced or not but 130K is not out of the ordinary. Struts will lose their ability to dampen the shock to the vehicle very slowly over time. This is something that the driver hardly ever notices until somebody says something to them. A weak strut will mean reduced handling ability and longer braking distances. If they are leaking then they should definitely be replaced.

Not leaking but the mechanic says definitely weak. not sure to put this money into a tercel when my sister might be buying a new car in the next year or so. which is the main difference between premier and economy? quality of parts?

Can you recommend on where i can get this done? Also which brand should i be looking to buy? Monroe, KY

Edited by skinfan2k

Not leaking but the mechanic says definitely weak. not sure to put this money into a tercel when my sister might be buying a new car in the next year or so. which is the main difference between premier and economy? quality of parts?

Can you recommend on where i can get this done? Also which brand should i be looking to buy? Monroe, KY

KYB is definitely the best brand. I wouldn't really view the investment in new struts to be worth it if you are going to be getting a different car soon. Especially if they aren't leaking.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I dont really post on here but spend most of my free time reading and learning on this site.

I have a 2002 Honda Odessey with 150,000 miles on it and the transmission just blew on a family vacation about 150 miles from home. After doing some research I have learned that this is very common for the Odessey and that mine actually lasted alot longer than most. I bought this van thinking its a Honda it will run forever, though this is the first major problem I have had.

Anyway my question is has any other Odessey owners on here experienced this before and if any mechanics have worked on these. I found a shop that will install a remanufactured Jasper transmission with a 100,000 mile/ Three year warranty for $3,800.00 give or take a few dollars.

Is this a good price? Is it a good Transmission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Bumpy, bumpy!

Good morning mechanical folks! Hopefully all the smart brains here on ES can help me figure something out.

2008 Lincoln Continental with a coolant leak. Best I can tell, it is actually coming out at the reservoir cap. This is the leak I can clearly see....there may be another. When I am driving, the heat blows nice and hot. When stopped...no heat. Any ideas on what is going on?

Bumpy, bumpy!

Good morning mechanical folks! Hopefully all the smart brains here on ES can help me figure something out.

2008 Lincoln Continental with a coolant leak. Best I can tell, it is actually coming out at the reservoir cap. This is the leak I can clearly see....there may be another. When I am driving, the heat blows nice and hot. When stopped...no heat. Any ideas on what is going on?

Is it overheating?....if not you probably just need to replace the cap(spring loaded to release pressure) and fill with coolant

the heat stopping could be a vacumn leak or simply air pocket from coolant leaking

need more info, but you can have both the cap and system pressure tested for leaks...or wait till it cools,fill while running at operating temp

is it overheating?....if not you probably just need to replace the cap(spring loaded to release pressure) and fill with coolant

the heat stopping could be a vacumn leak or simply air pocket from coolant leaking

need more info, but you can have both the cap and system pressure tested for leaks...or wait till it cools,fill while running at operating temp

Thanks for answering!

It isn't overheating at all.

And playing around with the cap today, when it is on tight, nothing comes out, but when the heat is on high and the cap is off, the coolant pours out of the opening. This is after driving it around for 10 minutes or so.

I was hoping it may be a quick and easy fix, but it sounds like I may have to break down and take it in sometime soon....the weather isn't getting any warmer!

when you say' When I am driving, the heat blows nice and hot. When stopped...no heat.'

do you mean it turns to cold air or stops blowing or what?

it has a air blend door behind the dash that is a common problem

• 2 months later...
00' Chevy Malibu 3.4L AT.

Cold start engine reves up to 2k and back down. Up and down, up and down. Once it's warm, it's fine.

What gives?

Most likely an intake manifold gasket (or manifold) that is leaking air into the engine. Second thought would be a failing idle air control motor.