Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Looking for suggestions, in addition to the things I'm already doing to alleviate this, that might further help.

Left windows open a crack, and a downpour of rain came, and while it didn't leave visible puddles or flooding

on the inside, it was bad enough to leave a mildewy, musty, or possibly even a moldy smell.

Used some common sense approaches, like run the heater a while to try to dry it up, and also drive around

with the windows down.

But is there anything more I can do, not just to get rid of the smell and the tangible moisture, but also any unseen

mold growth that might cause health issues ? For example, if I got a spray bottle of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide,

could something like that make a difference ?

depends on if it got into the carpet padding

if not spraying/wiping it with vinegar and letting air out or if you need it closed baking soda either sprinkled or in a pan will help

rice or kitty litter in a pan will absorb moisture in closed vehicles

you can usually pry up the door opening trim to reach under the carpet to see if the padding is wet, if it is pulling the carpet and cleaning and replacing padding is best

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, twa said:

depends on if it got into the carpet padding

if not spraying/wiping it with vinegar and letting air out or if you need it closed baking soda either sprinkled or in a pan will help

rice or kitty litter in a pan will absorb moisture in closed vehicles

you can usually pry up the door opening trim to reach under the carpet to see if the padding is wet, if it is pulling the carpet and cleaning and replacing padding is best

Hubby had to do all of that for his truck, water was getting in through the rear window brake light. 

What a PITA. 🤬

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Question. I had a P0420 code on my 05 pilot.  i had the front cat converter replaced but then i still had acceleration issues. my mechanic said he cleaned the back pipe.  Is that correct?

Wut??

the pipe or the muffler?

never heard of cleaning a exhaust pipe besides cosmetics..

5 minutes ago, twa said:

Wut??

the pipe or the muffler?

never heard of cleaning a exhaust pipe besides cosmetics..

I don't know what he did but it drives good now.  He said something about pipes being clogged since it moved from one converter to another??  no clue man. 

he said he had to rev the car up to get crap out?  not sure what stuff

3 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Mechs, What's your go to brake pad for your personal vehicles?

Centric super premium.  Really anything that’s top of the line is good.  You get what you pay for.

52 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Question. I had a P0420 code on my 05 pilot.  i had the front cat converter replaced but then i still had acceleration issues. my mechanic said he cleaned the back pipe.  Is that correct?

P0420 is an efficiency code and shouldn’t inherently mean that there is ANY performance problem.  A clogged converter may cause performance problems, but I would t guess there is a performance problem simply with the P0420.  Usually there’s another accompanying code relating to performance.

Once a converter is clogged, there’s no “cleaning” to be done.  You’ve gotta replace it.

Edited by Springfield

22 minutes ago, Springfield said:

P0420 is an efficiency code and shouldn’t inherently mean that there is ANY performance problem.  A clogged converter may cause performance problems, but I would t guess there is a performance problem simply with the P0420.  Usually there’s another accompanying code relating to performance.

Once a converter is clogged, there’s no “cleaning” to be done.  You’ve gotta replace it.

even after i got the converter replaced, it was very hard to accelerate.  i couldn't really get it above 40 or 2000 rpm.  not sure what he did but it drives good again

23 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

even after i got the converter replaced, it was very hard to accelerate.  i couldn't really get it above 40 or 2000 rpm.  not sure what he did but it drives good again

the muffler and cat have a honeycomb wire that can get carbon buildup, it is simply a matter of getting it hot and blowing the crap out.

I prefer replacing instead, but whatever works.

13 hours ago, Springfield said:

Centric super premium.  Really anything that’s top of the line is good.  You get what you pay for.

I can't find "Centric super premium" in any search. Is this some special mechanic-only item??

What's considered top of the line?

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

What kind of car do you have?

Centric might be only available to repair shops.

This is for our 2014 Sienna minivan. Wanna put on good brakes for the kid hauler. 

Tire rack has Centric PosiQuiet but not sure that's the same line you're talking about. 

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

This is for our 2014 Sienna minivan. Wanna put on good brakes for the kid hauler. 

Tire rack has Centric PosiQuiet but not sure that's the same line you're talking about. 

Yeah, those look like the ones.  I’d get the rotors that are painted black as well.  We’ve had a lot of luck with those parts here at my shop.  Very few defects for the amount that we install.

Most any premium brake pad/rotor is pretty good these days though.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Yeah, those look like the ones.  I’d get the rotors that are painted black as well.  We’ve had a lot of luck with those parts here at my shop.  Very few defects for the amount that we install.

Most any premium brake pad/rotor is pretty good these days though.

should I get my rotors changed with my brakes? 47K miles, I assume these are the original rotors.

Strongly considering stating a thread titled "The Ask a Non-Mechanic Thread" were, basically, people ask the same questions as in this thread and I give them terrible advice on what they should do.  

18 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

The PO420 code sounds like the issue has to do with smoking weed.  I think it's telling you to go get super high and stop ****ing worrying about your acceleration issues.  

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

Start an “ask a lawyer” thread where you give advice that may or may not get you disbarred.

Even if the advice is good, I'd lose my job for giving it away for free.  :)

Of course, my goal would be to give extremely bad advice that sounds reasonable; and also convince you to film the resulting carnage. :)

image.jpeg.15bea11b6e124b72da1457ff4a6ae3f7.jpeg

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1