Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW.com: TE dept. ~ ~ ~ (M.E.T.)

kelly

Home > The Way We Hear It > Whispers

June 15, 2008

~ ~ ~ The Redskins think they will be very strong at tight end. Other than Pro Bowl pass catcher Chris Cooley and strong blocker Todd Yoder, the team has talented rookie Fred Davis plus undrafted rookie Jason Goode, who has looked solid in practices so far. First-year manTyler Ecker, who will miss two months with a groin injury, is moving down the depth chart quickly.

> http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/whispers061508.htm

m_21672300a144751a2d3c35531290beb2.jpg

Probably our best position as a team. For once, I won't be petrified if Cooley takes a little long to get up after a hit.

(Well, I'll still be petrified, since Cooley is the man. But I won't fear our offense completely falling apart.)

Of course that's all on the assumption Davis turns out to be a viable NFL player ... too early to tell in OTA's, but the potential is definately there.

Big potential mis-match in two TE sets as well, Davis should be faster than most LB's, and bigger and more physical than most DB's ... we already know Cooley is on both counts.

What is it exactly that you don't like about our DE dept?

Like no joke TK

National powerlifting champion Phillip Daniels and Andre Carter

backups Demetric evans, chris wilson, Erasmus James (throughbred), and Marcus Washington as a situational pass rusher

BTW everyone is raving of the addition of Chris Clemons to the Feagles isnt he a product of our defensive staff???

Our problem with our pass rush isn't the DE's. It's more about not getting any push up the middle from the DTs. I'll take our DE's over the Dallas DE's any day of the week. Chris Canty and Marcus Spears have had 11.5 sacks in their collective 6 year career. Andre Carter had 10.5 last year. Three of our DE's (Carter, Marcus Washington, Chris Wilson) had more than their leading sackman at the position (Canty 3.5).

Sorry, but we just don't have the worst DE's in the NFC.

Our problem with our pass rush isn't the DE's. It's more about not getting any push up the middle from the DTs. I'll take our DE's over the Dallas DE's any day of the week. Chris Canty and Marcus Spears have had 11.5 sacks in their collective 6 year career. Andre Carter had 10.5 last year. Three of our DE's (Carter, Marcus Washington, Chris Wilson) had more than their leading sackman at the position (Canty 3.5).

Agreed.

We don't (as far as we know) have what the Giants have at DE, but the Redskins are FAR from the worst, sack wise, at DE in the NFC.

As you said, Washington's big problem last season was interior pressure. Our DEs were getting to the QB fine. The problem was that the QB could just step up and throw b/c our DTs weren't collapsing the pocket.

We didn't make any changes in personell at DT this year, so I can only guess they feel that Golston and Monty can step it up this season (being their 3rd season in the league). Also, that Griffin will bounce back after having surgery on the ailments that have bothered him the last couple of years.

We shall see. :)

Dallas runs a 3-4 defense so doesnt that mean that their defensive ends aren't supposed to get many sacks? They are just supposed to occupy blockers to let the linebackers generate the pressure.

They are just supposed to occupy blockers to let the linebackers generate the pressure.

So how does that rate them higher than our DE's... are either one of them better against the run than Daniels? Or rush the passer better than Carter?

IMO, you can't rate DE's in a 3-4 defense the way you can in a 4-3. They shouldn't even have the cowboys in the rankings. Their DE's are comparable to our DT's.

Dallas runs a 3-4 defense so doesnt that mean that their defensive ends aren't supposed to get many sacks? They are just supposed to occupy blockers to let the linebackers generate the pressure.

I guarantee they are expected to have more than 10 career sacks in 96 career games. You can't tell me you think that is what is expected of them. And since Dallas was worse against the run in every single statistical category you can't say they pulled their weight there either. Sorry but our D-line gets ton of pub for being weak but Dallas' line is just as weak if not worse.

I think we should be happy with what we have skill position wise on offense. Zorn has spoken pretty glowingly about Davis and Kelly. We know what we have in our established guys. If Jason can get the ball out in 3 and 5 step drops, and o-line starters stay healthy, the offense will do well. Imagine Cooley and Fred Davis lined up without having blocking duties.

Archived