Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW.com: TE dept. ~ ~ ~ (M.E.T.)

kelly

What scheme doesnt he fit? 4-3? Like he played at Miami and will be playing for Arizona as a DE in a 4-3?

Sorry, but that excuse is bunk.

I could be wrong as I obviously am not a Cardinals fan but I'm under the impression Wisenhunt is slowly converting them to a 3-4.

It isn't my "excuse", or my opinion.

Unlike you, I don't think I have all the answers or know it all. :)

Many analysts have said they feel Campbell can only succeed in the NFL in a 3-4 system.

If he is playing in a 4-3, I guess we will find out eventually (maybe not this year) if they are right or not.

Ugh, I just lost my first reply, I guess I'll go with the short version. Campbells is 6'8, and that kind of hieght in the interior makes it alot easier to get underneath your pads. That and Campbell is around 280, and had to put on wieght to get there. As a Jr, he was closer to 270 and was a monster as a 4-3 DE. Rated the top DE coming into his Sr. year. He put on wieght for his Sr. year and struggled. Most 3-4 DE's play close to 300, so I dont really see him being very productive as a 3-4 DE, even if he wasnt 6'8. And that is why I see him as a 4-3 DE.

As I and others have said, the DEs weren't the problem last season. It was a lack of an interior pass rush. It allowed the QBs the Redskins faced to step up and took them out of the reach of the DEs that were getting pressure.

I agree with the lack of push up the middle. However there are 2 things that scream we must take a DE.

1. Philip Daneils is 35 years old. I dont think he's playing well anymore, but some think he is. Fine, but can anyone REALLY expect him to play at his current level for any stretch of time? We NEED to find a starter for him, and soon. James might be the guy, but 2 ACL tears put huge ? on that.

2. Our depth at the position is as thin as any place on the team.

I know you have some illogical, irrational pure hatred for Phillip Daniels for whatever reason, but you are just going to have to accept that he is the starting DE of the Washington Redskins this coming season.

The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will get well. :D

I dont hate the guy. I actually respect him for busting his ass and playing hard every down. Do I think we need a better player there? Yes. Do I think we need depth there? Yes. Do I hate the guy?

NO.

He's a hard worker and a team leader and I'd like to see him as depth and maybe at DT and see if he can get some push up the middle. But he's 35 and we cant expect much out of him, for very long.

I could be wrong as I obviously am not a Cardinals fan but I'm under the impression Wisenhunt is slowly converting them to a 3-4.

I hadnt heard that, but could very well be possible. I still dont think he's a good fit as a 3-4 DE for reasons listed above.

I agree with the lack of push up the middle. However there are 2 things that scream we must take a DE.

1. Philip Daneils is 35 years old. I dont think he's playing well anymore, but some think he is. Fine, but can anyone REALLY expect him to play at his current level for any stretch of time? We NEED to find a starter for him, and soon. James might be the guy, but 2 ACL tears put huge ? on that.

2. Our depth at the position is as thin as any place on the team.

The problem is if our scouting staff didn't like any of the DE's that were available when we picked, you don't just pick one because you need one. If they don't think Calais Campbell is going to be an effective DE in the NFL then it would be foolish to take him. I do agree with your reasoning about the need for a DE but that doesn't mean that Calais Campbell, or any DE that was available in the 2nd round for that matter, is the answer to our problem. There could be very real reasons we passed on these guys and only time will tell if we made a wise choice or not.

I believe its called a 'sig' or 'signature'

:D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I am definitely out of the loop, what is with Kelly's ever-changing sig picture?..And the not so insightful posts?

No, not a sig, because it changes. TK and zoony may be on the right track. :laugh:

Carter=good

Daneils=not so good and very old

depth=non-exsistent

That help?

Just curious - why do you say Daniels is "not so good?" I would say he is very solid when healthy.

The only stat that is kept by the NFL: Tackles. And it was his worst season, which also happen to tie his total for last year. Both career lows. Now, you may say that he does more than just make tackles. Well, he's not getting many of them, so I would hope so for your argument. However watching the games I didnt see him do much. Now you might have seen things differently, but all of that is subjective.

Now, what are you basing his productivity on?

Really? I pose this question to you:

What happens to our D-line of Carter goes down? What actual "depth" do we have? Do you want Wilson playing every down? Evans? Buzzbee?

First of all, I would LOVE to see some stats on how often/successfully teams ran to the right side of our D. They don't typically even try because Daniels is a beast.

Secondly, can any team easily replace their leading pass rusher other than maybe the Giants? If Andre Carter goes down, of course it will hurt. But if Demarcus Ware got hurt, do you not think Dallas would be in trouble? Honestly, if Justin Tuck goes down this year the Giants will suffer. So what's your point? I feel confident that Wilson/James/Buzbee can step in for Carter and be productive anyway. And James will play this year, according to doctors. But what do they know.

First of all, I would LOVE to see some stats on how often/successfully teams ran to the right side of our D. They don't typically even try because Daniels is a beast.

Those would be good stats to see, I agree. But I dont think he's a beast. I didnt see him get a push and I didnt see him do much at the Point of attack. However, I havent watched any games recently, so I'm going on memory.

Secondly, can any team easily replace their leading pass rusher other than maybe the Giants? If Andre Carter goes down, of course it will hurt. But if Demarcus Ware got hurt, do you not think Dallas would be in trouble?

Not nearly as much, no.

Honestly, if Justin Tuck goes down this year the Giants will suffer. So what's your point? I feel confident that Wilson/James/Buzbee can step in for Carter and be productive anyway. And James will play this year, according to doctors. But what do they know.

The point is that loosing Carter would be a bigger lose to us than the teams you mentioned. James might play, but he plays in Daneils spot, so that doesnt help much. Also, it's a pretty well know fact that he wont be the same as he was pre-injury untill next year. See Donovan McNabb. My point however is that the drop-off in starter to bench player is huge on our team at that position. For instance, if Griff gets hurt Golsten isnt a big drop in production. If Carter goes down, we dont have anyone.

so we have a thread about DE's, and pics of hot girls that may or may not be Kelly, all rolled into one. Now, I think Daniels can bounce back and still be the solid run stopper he has been. Hopefully his pass rush can improve, but if not, I do think Wilson can definitely replace him on passing downs with some success. People don't want to give credit to situational guys, but when Chris Clemons gets to sign a huge contract just for getting 8 sacks as a situational guy, I think some credit needs to be given to Wilson.

Now that I have talked about DE's, I'm guessing there is nothing more to the pictures than meets the eye, or is there? Are hot girls somehow tied to DE's?

Archived