Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Coldplay Album

shk75

You don't have to bend over for a major international corporation to make music.

When a band or artist signs a record contract, they give up a certain level of creative control over their own work. On a superficial level, they can be told how to dress and what to say by stylists and image consultants. On a substantial level, their music can be changed (and sometimes outright ghost-written) by producers and engineers imposed by the label.

And most of the time anyway, it's not the artist but the record label who controls the licensing rights to a song--and the decision over whether it's used in a commercial or not.

I've got nothing against musicians making money making music. But if a musician's profit motive is bigger than his artistic motivations, it ain't art. :2cents:

All you read and

Wear or see and

Hear on TV

Is a product

Begging for your

Fatass dirty

Dollar

:D

Coldplay keeps putting out great albums, I'll pick this one up. My wife can't stand them because she thinks their songs are slow and depressing.

your wife should run for President, she is the smartest woman I have never met....Everytime I hear Coldplay I look for my Smith & Wesson, absolutely awful.. I'm totally confused by the OP, how can you jam to Coldplay but have the best rap album ever as your sig????

your wife should run for President, she is the smartest woman I have never met....Everytime I hear Coldplay I look for my Smith & Wesson, absolutely awful.. I'm totally confused by the OP, how can you jam to Coldplay but have the best rap album ever as your sig????

Its called having ecclectic tatse. The same reason people like Kanye and Jay-Z have Chris Martin on their albums. I almost exclusively listen to underground hip hop and classic old school albums but Coldplay is good music and thats all I really care about.

your wife should run for President, she is the smartest woman I have never met....Everytime I hear Coldplay I look for my Smith & Wesson, absolutely awful.

See I sometimes like slow and depressing. Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam has some depressing stuff....anything else....bring it on. The Counting Crows is another one...great thought provoking lyrics that go well with a rainy day and good drink.

You don't have to bend over for a major international corporation to make music.

When a band or artist signs a record contract, they give up a certain level of creative control over their own work. On a superficial level, they can be told how to dress and what to say by stylists and image consultants. On a substantial level, their music can be changed (and sometimes outright ghost-written) by producers and engineers imposed by the label.

I've got nothing against musicians making money making music. But if a musician's profit motive is bigger than his artistic motivations, it ain't art. :2cents:

I understand what you are saying and that is why the smart bands such as Pearl Jam leave the major labels when they sense bad things happening. I would expect Coldplay to do the same if the major label started to cause problems.

Its called having ecclectic tatse. The same reason people like Kanye and Jay-Z have Chris Martin on their albums. I almost exclusively listen to underground hip hop and classic old school albums but Coldplay is good music and thats all I really care about.

Agreed. I like me some rap, some rock and a lot of Coldplay.

Still listeningthe **** out of this CD. Too bad it's only 10 tracks.

Coldplay sucks, their actual notes/sound/music is not complicated and lacks any real intelligence, and it seems like they would rather be doing music videos to show their faces than actually making music, and the lead singer acts way too girly on stage, if you know what im saying. They make the dixie chicks seem cool.

Coldplay sucks, their actual notes/sound/music is not complicated and lacks any real intelligence, and it seems like they would rather be doing music videos to show their faces than actually making music, and the lead singer acts way too girly on stage, if you know what im saying. They make the dixie chicks seem cool.

So I take it you have been to a Coldplay concert to see them "on stage"... Closet Coldplay lover?

Anyhow, I think their lyrics are very intelligent and the sound, to me, is very mature and complicated... especially on "Viva la Vida". Personally, I don't watch music videos, I stopped watching MTV about 10 years ago when they stopped playing music videos. I think you are confusing the press they get with them actually promoting themselves all the time.

If I was in a band, I'd certainly have a goal to blow up and make it big. I'd certainly take offers to interview for a magazine. Who really wants to make music that no one listens to? You want people listen to your music right? I assume if you get some popularity, and it turns out your band is actually good (like Coldplay), then it will snowball into something bigger. I don't see any way that they have sold out as other posters before you have suggested.

I'm impressed, you insulted Coldplay without using the word "ghey". :applause: :rolleyes:

So I take it you have been to a Coldplay concert to see them "on stage"... Closet Coldplay lover?

Anyhow, I think their lyrics are very intelligent and the sound, to me, is very mature and complicated... especially on "Viva la Vida". Personally, I don't watch music videos, I stopped watching MTV about 10 years ago when they stopped playing music videos. I think you are confusing the press they get with them actually promoting themselves all the time.

If I was in a band, I'd certainly have a goal to blow up and make it big. I'd certainly take offers to interview for a magazine. Who really wants to make music that no one listens to? You want people listen to your music right? I assume if you get some popularity, and it turns out your band is actually good (like Coldplay), then it will snowball into something bigger. I don't see any way that they have sold out as other posters before you have suggested.

it's the way they market themselves that is so artificial, they sold out long ago to MTV and other big name corporations, much more than most mainstream bands

the guitar player sounds like he just learned the guitar 2 months ago, I don't know their music sounds popular I guess I just don't think it's very good

it's the way they market themselves that is so artificial, they sold out long ago to MTV and other big name corporations, much more than most mainstream bands

the guitar player sounds like he just learned the guitar 2 months ago, I don't know their music sounds popular I guess I just don't think it's very good

Name a band bigger than Coldplay that hasn't sold themselves out as far as MTV and big name corporations. I don't really watch MTV anymore, I thought they stopped promoting music before Coldplay became popular.

As far as the guitar, it's not hard rock with an awesome guitar solo in every song. What has me on their music is really the vocals, lyrics, and presentation of the song as a whole.

I do commend you for pointing out your dislike for Coldplay, without saying "ghey". Makes for good conversation.

Try billboard.com

Tried it. Tried the ol' google as well. It seems the Pearl Jam album "Ten" did very well, looks like "Vs." did good too. Albums after that don't look so good as far as record sales are concerned. I didn't search out Radiohead, but I bet they have a good fanbase as well, my girlfriend has a friend of her's over right now who seems to agree that Coldplay has probably sold more records recently and thinks Radiohead kinda went a little too "out there" with their sound on some of their albums. I do remember Radiohead being highly promoted on MTV when "OK Computer" came out, wonder if that qualifies them as sell outs.

I've only listened to it once so far. As a huge fan of the group, it's not encouraging that unlike with their past albums I wasn't blown away by it at first listen. Even so, I didn't NOT like it either. I need a few more listens to be sure at this point.

I've only listened to it once so far. As a huge fan of the group, it's not encouraging that unlike with their past albums I wasn't blown away by it at first listen. Even so, I didn't NOT like it either. I need a few more listens to be sure at this point.

I plan on buying it tomorrow. If it's anything like "A Rush Of Blood to The Head" I'll be happy. I still listen to that one and it never gets old.

I will say Pearl Jam.

ANY band on a major label that has made it big has a MASSIVE PR machine behind them.

There is no such thing as a commercially successful band on a major label that isn't a "sell out".

The fact is, these bands haven't "sold out" unless they accept the record execs telling them how to make their music. They should not be expected to say "we don't want promotion, we don't want tours, we don't want massive airplay, we don't want marketing for our music."

This term "sell out" is over-romanticized. Even the most conscientious band has that massive machine behind them pushing them up into those heights. And if they didn't, you likely wouldn't know who they are.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with artists making money for their art. Nothing at all. And it pisses me off to no end to listen to a bunch of the internet generation who feel as if they're entitled to their art for free just because some guy figured out how to do peer-to-peer.

Metallica had a point, and a damn good one. They work hard to be good enough to be as successful as they are. For people to essentially steal their product with this feeling of entitlement to it is BS.

Now,i should also say I'm a total hypocrite, because I don't buy CDs anymore either. But intellectually, I know they're right.

Fact is, I don't download much music either.. I probably have less than fifty songs that I have downloaded for the purpose of solely listening to it. I use my Launchcast internet radio, and I couldn't be happier with it. I get a great variety and the fact it is SO customizable makes it fresh and new every single day. AND, I do pay for the premium service, so I am giving back a little bit.

~Bang

Archived