Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Coldplay Album

shk75

Heard on the radio this morning that apparently there is some band accusing Coldplay of stealing one of their tunes for the new record. Apparently there front man Douchy McDoucherson went to their show, and then their song magically appeared on the new album.

Makes Coldplay even more ghey.

Heard on the radio this morning that apparently there is some band accusing Coldplay of stealing one of their tunes for the new record. Apparently there front man Douchy McDoucherson went to their show, and then their song magically appeared on the new album.

Makes Coldplay even more ghey.

I guess you didn't hear the follow up to that that. Chris Martin was not even in the same country when this band claimed he was there, and old demos proved that they had been working on that song a long time ago:

"Soon after the video blew up, I received a call from Coldplay's manager. They were really nice about the whole thing and explained about their whereabouts and old demos. I guess the song similarities are just a coincidence...great minds think alike?

"Anyway, I must have been mistaken about seeing Chris at the show because all British people look the same. I lived in London for six weeks and I seriously thought every third person on the corner was Coldplay."

I really don't understand the whole, Coldplay is "ghey" comments. What makes someone who listens to Coldplay ghey? People complain they sound too much like U2 or Radiohead. What makes someone who listens to U2 or Radiohead not ghey?

Plus, using the word "ghey" makes me question those peoples sexual leanings. Ghey belongs in a bad, bad place with words like pwned, l33t and noob.

I really don't understand the whole, Coldplay is "ghey" comments. What makes someone who listens to Coldplay ghey? Ghey belongs in a bad, bad place with words like pwned, l33t and noob.

I asked that earlier and I guess it is taken from the movie "Knocked Up" but I don't even know why the character in Knocked Up" said it was gay. It baffles me. :doh: Coldplay seems to be suffering the same backlash Hootie and the Blowfish did back in the early 90's and I don't know how that happens.

I asked that earlier and I guess it is taken from the movie "Knocked Up" but I don't even know why the character in Knocked Up" said it was gay. It baffles me. :doh: Coldplay seems to be suffering the same backlash Hootie and the Blowfish did back in the early 90's and I don't know how that happens.

It's from 40 year old virgin, here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry-iOXoDJzc

(Skip to 0:50 to get right to the "you know how I know you're gay" exchange)

It's funny, very funny at that. That movie in general was pretty hilarious. It's not funny when people quote it all day long. In fact it's less and less funny each time I hear it by a person who isn't Paul Rudd.

Coldplay is way more of a real band than Hootie ever was to me. I never liked Hootie, I've always liked Coldplay. Hootie made upbeat love songs, Colplay makes sad depressing songs.

It's from 40 year old virgin, here's the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry-iOXoDJzc

(Skip to 0:50 to get right to the "you know how I know you're gay" exchange)

Coldplay is way more of a real band than Hootie ever was to me. I never liked Hootie, I've always liked Coldplay. Hootie made upbeat love songs, Colplay makes sad depressing songs.

Yeah that's it...I meant "40 yr old Virgin". Well when I mentioned Hootie I was using them in comparsion to the same type of backlash Coldplay gets from the public. Maybe it's overexposure?

Yeah that's it...I meant "40 yr old Virgin". Well when I mentioned Hootie I was using them in comparsion to the same type of backlash Coldplay gets from the public. Maybe it's overexposure?

Gotcha. I wish they weren't overexposed, that of course leads to the haters because they are everywhere. I would compaire them to U2 a little, I think they are overexposed and I don't care too much for most of their music. With Coldplay though, the fact that they are overexposed won't stop me from liking their music because I've been there since the beginning. Only if they sell out could I possibly change my tune about Coldplay.

If the Moody Blues or Pink Floyd were current groups today these stupid kids would be calling it ghey. :doh: I guess mellow and thought provoking music is bad these days.

One of the reasons I really like Coldplay is because their music reminds me of something I might have heard if I were in the 70's, some of it can be very spacy and interesting. Their lyrics are very good too, makes me think a little.

bought it. idk. its def different from what they have done. somewhat of a new sound ofr them in my opinion. i dont think its great. i kinda like the other older songs like the scientist and fix you more....but thats just me

and when listening to "cemeteries of london", did anybody else other than me, think of "the saints are coming"????

and when listening to "cemeteries of london", did anybody else other than me, think of "the saints are coming"????

I didn't really know of "The Saints are Coming" but I guess I see where you are coming from. Much prefer "Cemeteries of London" personally, but I am biased.

Gotcha. I wish they weren't overexposed, that of course leads to the haters because they are everywhere. I would compaire them to U2 a little, I think they are overexposed and I don't care too much for most of their music. With Coldplay though, the fact that they are overexposed won't stop me from liking their music because I've been there since the beginning. Only if they sell out could I possibly change my tune about Coldplay.

Just curious what your definition of "selling out" is...because Coldplay has been on a massive, major label (Parlophone/Capitol) since before its first album came out in 1999. If that's not being "sold out," I don't know what is...

Just curious what your definition of "selling out" is...because Coldplay has been on a massive, major label (Parlophone/Capitol) since before its first album came out in 1999. If that's not being "sold out," I don't know what is...

I think he means "selling out" as in letting a song be used in commercials,etc. Why do you say signing with a major label is "selling out"?

I think he means "selling out" as in letting a song be used in commercials,etc. Why do you say signing with a major label is "selling out"?

You don't have to bend over for a major international corporation to make music.

When a band or artist signs a record contract, they give up a certain level of creative control over their own work. On a superficial level, they can be told how to dress and what to say by stylists and image consultants. On a substantial level, their music can be changed (and sometimes outright ghost-written) by producers and engineers imposed by the label.

And most of the time anyway, it's not the artist but the record label who controls the licensing rights to a song--and the decision over whether it's used in a commercial or not.

I've got nothing against musicians making money making music. But if a musician's profit motive is bigger than his artistic motivations, it ain't art. :2cents:

I hardly ever listen to anything that isn't part of some major record label, to be honest. The context that I mean "sell out" to be wasn't really that though. By "sold out", I mean blatantly chaning the way their music sounds in order to sell more records. Basically, changing their tone to pop music in order to gain better airplay on the top 40. Fist band that comes to mind is Limp Bizkit, when I think "sell out".

Archived