Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports.com - Burress won't practice without new deal

Xameil

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress is refusing to practice because the Super Bowl champions haven't renegotiated his contract.

Burress reported to Giants Stadium for a mandatory minicamp Wednesday, but said he told the coaching staff he won't workout without a new deal.

click link for full article

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8234222

He is underpaid by current standards. I say pay the poor man what he deserves.

With Tiki and Strahan gone and Shockey not causing any trouble (:rolleyes: ) someone has to step up......Thanks Plax!:D

Thought that was Shockey's role?

Oh yeah, from Eli Manning...

"At one point, when asked why Shockey was the hot topic, he said, 'Ya'll are talking about him, not me.'"

per Mike Garafolo, on his nj.com blog.

I won't add much to this considering the post below is an excellent write up covering all bases. I believe Plax deserves a raise and is actually going about this matter as cordial as a player can...

Plaxico Burress' Holdout and You: A Numerical Exploration

I'm sitting at this table called love, staring down this irony called life. How come we reached this fork in the road, and it cuts like a knife?

With regard to Plax's holdout, for a moment put aside your opinions on honoring contracts and refrain from expouding your moral judgments of holding out. It's all irrelevant -- viewing the situation from a numbers standpoint, Plaxico Burress deserves a new contract.

Let's go back to the spring of 2005. St. Patrick's Day to be exact.

In an emphatic stroke of Byzantine whimsy, Burress fired his agent (Michael Harrison), hired the venerable Drew Rosenhaus, and shortly thereafter signed with the Giants: 6 years, $25 million, $8.25 million guaranteed. According to Len Pasquarelli, Burress was set to make $14.6 million in the first three years of the contract.

By comparison, one year earlier Terrell Owens won an arbitration case, was freed from the penetentiary otherwise known as the Baltimore Ravens, and signed with the Eagles: 7 years, $49 million contract with $10 million guaranteed. At the time, Owens was the best receiver in the NFL, and his contract was a useful benchmark in determining Burress' market value.

After the 2005 season, when Burress helped the Giants supplant Owens' Eagles as the preeminent team in the NFC East, the NFL renegotiated the Collective Bargaining Agreement. As consequence, the salary cap increased substantially (and continues to increase), and player contracts followed suit. In other words, the football world went to hell in a handbasket. Fire and brimstone. Small helpless children drowing in pools of money. Adam Archuleta was suddently worth $35 million on an open market, making him the highest paid safety in the history of the league (funnily enough, in researching this post, I followed a link to the Redskins.com story on Archuleta's signing ... and their site was experiencing "technical difficulties"). Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.

While Burress missed the spike in salaries by one season, his contemporary wide receivers were particularly affected by the league-wide spending spree. Since the new CBA's implementation, here's a sample of free agent contracts signed by wide receivers:

- Antwaan Randle El (2006): 7 years, $31 million, $11.5 million in bonuses

- David Givens (2006): 5 years, $24 million, $8 million signing bonus

- Brandon Lloyd (2006): 7 years, $17.5 million, $10 million guaranteed

- Kevin Curtis (2007): 6 years, $32 million, $9.5 million guaranteed

- Wes Welker (2007): 5 years, $18.1 million, $9 million signing bonus

- Bernard Berrian (2008): 6 years, $42 million, $16 million guaranteed

- Donte' Stallworth (2008): 7 years, $35 million, $10 million guaranteed

- Javon Walker (2008): 6 years, $55 million, $16 million guaranteed

*Walker could potentially earn up to $27 million over the first three years on his contract; this is nearly twice as much as Burress earned the past three years.

- Terrell Owens (2008): 4 years, $34 million, $13 million guaranteed

*Owens is an especially interesting parallel. Since signing with the Eagles in 2004, he has continued to drink deep the aura of the game. He is still arguably the best player in his position. And despite advancing into his mid-30s and getting cut by the Eagles for being an all-around jerkoff, his market value has appreciated in light of the new CBA.

______

Which brings us back to Plaxico Burress. Although the timing of his holdout is inopportune, it's difficult to criticize Burress for asking to be paid his proper market value. Extenuating circumstances have made the situation much more complex than "he signed a contract, he should live up to it," and the concepts of economics certainly support his decision.

After the renegotiation of the CBA, Plax's current contract was essentially rendered obsolete. Indeed, it was structured for a market that no longer exists. Meanwhile, the new market has rewarded lesser players at Plax's position, as evidenced by the contracts of the aforementioned individuals. After playing through multiple injuries and delivering a Super Bowl title, Plax deserves to be a beneficiary as well.

Finally, it's worth noting that Burress could have staged a holdout last offseason. After two excellent seasons with the Giants, he very easily could have made case that he had outperformed his contract. But instead he waited until after the team had secured a championship before he intimated that he was underpaid. A season in which he sustained an ankle injury that would have landed most players on injured reserve. A season in which he demonstrated how valuable and irreplaceable he is to this team. And at 30 years of age (he turns 31 in August), he definitely has several prime years left. If Plaxico Burress doesn't deserve a raise, then who does?

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=291703

Just because other teams have spent money on average at best WR's doesn't mean that the Giants should follow suit.

If he wants to sit, and not practice that's fine. Dude has three years remaining his six-year, $25 million deal. If they can work out an extension, that's great. If not STFU and honor your damn contract.

Just because other teams have spent money on average at best WR's doesn't mean that the Giants should follow suit.

If he wants to sit, and not practice that's fine. Dude has three years remaining his six-year, $25 million deal. If they can work out an extension, that's great. If not STFU and honor your damn contract.

Problem is, Plax is not average.

And whose fault is it that he is being paid like one? He should be ****ing about his agent.

I disagree. If someone, in general, succeeds past expectations at their job, they get a raise.

I understand the whole "honoring your contract" argument but what about honoring your players? Plax played on a bad ankle, and on that ankle he helped carry the team to a superbowl win. When someone performs beyond expectations they should receive financial reward beyond what they originally expected.

Basically, give the man his money.

I disagree. If someone, in general, succeeds past expectations at their job, they get a raise.

I understand the whole "honoring your contract" argument but what about honoring your players? Plax played on a bad ankle, and on that ankle he helped carry the team to a superbowl win. When someone performs beyond expectations they should receive financial reward beyond what they originally expected.

That's what escalators are for in contracts.

Again, if they can work out an extension, thats fine. If not, he needs to STFU.

That's what escalators are for in contracts.

Again, if they can work out an extension, thats fine. If not, he needs to STFU.

I'm with Oldskool on this one and he said it better than I could.

I'm loving the Giants offseason right now with Strahan retiring, Shockey and Plax crying a river. I don't think their FO will budge regarding Plax's contract which means he could holdout a few days into camp. Either way he already resents his team and that in itself isn't a good thing for them.

:gaintsuck

Archived