Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Republicans block extra taxes on oil companies

RedskinsFanInTX

By H. JOSEF HEBERT – http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CONGRESS_OIL_PROFITS?SITE=TXDAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Republicans blocked a proposal Tuesday to tax the windfall profits of the largest oil companies, despite pleas by Democratic leaders to use the measure to address America's anger over $4 a gallon gasoline.

The Democratic energy package would have imposed a tax on any "unreasonable" profits of the five largest U.S. oil companies and given the federal government more power to address oil market speculation that the bill's supporters argue has added to the crude oil price surge.

"Americans are furious about what's going on," declared Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., and want Congress to do something about oil company profits and "an orgy of speculation" on oil markets.

But Republicans argued the Democratic proposal focusing on new oil industry taxes is not the answer to the country's energy problems.

"The American people are clamoring for relief at the pump," said Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M., but if taxes are increased on the oil companies "they will get exactly what they don't want. The bill will raise taxes, increase imports."

I hate the amount of money the oil companies make as much as the next guy, but the fact is its legal. I don't think a windfall tax is a good idea.

Now, if Congress were to hold an investigation and "learn" that the oil companies have been gouging the American people than I might support some kind of fine but not a tax.

By H. JOSEF HEBERT – http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CONGRESS_OIL_PROFITS?SITE=TXDAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

WASHINGTON (AP) —

"Americans are furious about what's going on," declared Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., and want Congress to do something about oil company profits and "an orgy of speculation" on oil markets.

Do the American people really want Congress to do something about oil company profits? Or do something about gas prices?

Do the American people really want Congress to do something about oil company profits? Or do something about gas prices?

Hell, Congress doesn't want to do anything about it.

This was an election year publicity stunt.

The Dems knew it wouldn't pass. (Heck, if there were a chance of it actually passing and not getting vetoed, half the folks who voted in favor of it would have voted against it.)

The purpose of this bill was so that a bunch of Dems could say "See! I voted for that!" (knowing that it wouldn't pass).

(And so that they could say "See! Those dirty crooked Republicans all work for the evil oil companies.")

Think of it as a gay marriage Constitutional amendment.

It's the latest thing. Legislation as a publicity stunt.

What's strange -- on the surface at least -- is that today Republicans also blocked consideration of legislation that would extend tax BREAKS for wind, solar and other alternative energy sources.

It was bad all-around. No one company or group should be taxed higher than others. What we need to have happen is for oil to become less of a commodity and that will only happen when its sources become greater in numbers. We already know it can be done. We need to do this while getting on the road to other energy sources. We can't just go cold turkey.

But Republicans argued the Democratic proposal focusing on new oil industry taxes is not the answer to the country's energy problems.

Very true. I guess there are two sides. One who believes that big oil is to blame and the other who doesn't.

When you fill up, look at how much our oil is taxed and think, who does that? Not the oil companies.

I can say with certianty, that 75% of what we pay for gas is taxes and that's not the oil companies fault it's government.

Very true. I guess there are two sides. One who believes that big oil is to blame and the other who doesn't.

When you fill up, look at how much our oil is taxed and think, who does that? Not the oil companies.

I can say with certianty, that 75% of what we pay for gas is taxes and that's not the oil companies fault it's government.

And I can say, with certainty, that you are wrong.

http://www.api.org/statistics/fueltaxes/

Edit: Boy my brain is fried, but its still not 75%

More like 12-15 percent.

But that is ALMOST 75%, right? :)

Time you include fed,state and then income,property taxes,corporate taxes lease payments to the feds...I would not doubt it would approach 75%

Since when do you pay income, property, corporate and lease taxes on gas?

It is taxes and payments included in the costs of producing oil,then gas.

Who do you think pays it?

I run a business,every expense/tax is included in the final price.

And I can say with certainty that you're completely delusional.

But your certainty in your delusions certainly is . . . certain. :)

Since when do you pay income, property, corporate and lease taxes on gas?

Well, see, if you assume that all the taxes in the world are paid by oil companies (everybody else in the world just passes their taxes along to the oil companies), . . .

Say they were stupid and decided to go backwards by drilling new spots and building new stations?

Wouldn't it take a decade before we would see that hit the market?

Its smarter to go backwards then forwards with energy needs?

Its even in our National Security interests to develop the next energy. Something the whole world can use. Something that makes the oil in the Middle East worthless. Then the royals can stop paying off terrorists while meeting with leaders of the west.

Archived